Song Of The Week - Jam

How have we not done Jam yet?

Definitely in my Top 5 MJ songs ever, and Top 3 Short Films.

Jam is a relentless piece of funk that doesn't stop.

Press play and prepare to be blasted out your chair. Jam literally breaks its way through the speakers. Jam is a dance-funk-pop hybrid that is impossible to sit still to. A six minute workout that leaves you shattered by the end of it. The message of the song is simple – there may be a lot of craziness going on in the world, but you know what? Once that music starts nothings gonna stop me. Jam is classic Michael, a 'Startin Somethin' for the next generation. It was to be the 5th Top 10 single in the UK from Dangerous and was accompanied by a stunning short film with a cameo from Michael Jordan – 2 MJ's at the top of their game.

"I don't think they're ready for this one..."

When I saw Jam was SOTW, this quote from YRMW came to mind. There are some songs where you can't really quantify why they're great, they just are. Jam is one of those songs.

Plus it's your surname which is a major coincidence.

Does anyinr else recall their reaction when they heard Jam in 1991?

I thought the difference and jump from Bad was enormous and I was so shocked and pleasantly stunned. Not that some tracks on Bad weren't funky (APOM especially) but Jam seemed to massively jump that funk and dance train, from the synthesised Bad songs to the production on Jam was a giant leap.

I thought the difference and jump from Bad was enormous and I was so shocked and pleasantly stunned. Not that some tracks on Bad weren't funky (APOM especially) but Jam seemed to massively jump that funk and dance train, from the synthesised Bad songs to the production on Jam was a giant leap.
I remember it! I got the album for Christmas on tape cassette. The artwork cover folded out about a hundered times. I vividly remember putting the tape into the player, we had a really great sound system at the time. That glass shattering was hair on the back of the neck stuff! Again, the sound! It was holy crap! This guy just gets better and better! I was 11 at the time. I loved Bad for the way it sounded -still do- but yeah, he took the sound to a whole new level once again. What a way to open an album!

I remember thinking I'm never gonna learn the words to this one. But I did. :D

I remember thinking I'm never gonna learn the words to this one. But I did. :D

That reminds me, I love how in the credits they separate it so Mike gets full kudos for 'song and lyrics'.

The brass in this song is immense.

I told my brother don't you ask me for no favors
I'm conditioned by the system, don't you preach to me, don't scream and shout
She pray to God, to Buddha, then she sings a Talmud song
Confusions contradict the self, do we know right from wrong?
I just want you to recognize me in the temple
You can't hurt me, I've found peace within myself
Incredible lyricism. One of MJ's greatest songs. Amazing.

It was 2009 for me! I remember the day I got Dangerous on CD - I used most of my pocket money on it! When I got home, I raced into my room and turned up the stereo... and BANG!! The glass shatter. Hehe I was always careful to play Jam out loud because I didn't want my parents to think I had broken a window or something :p

Unfortunately I didn't get beyond Jam as my friends came over to pick me up for a sleepover, but it shouldn't be too surprising what I did first upon coming home! (Hint: Involves a CD and iTunes ;)). Jam was the song I was most excited to hear. I was really keen to learn the lyrics too and so I remember one night before bed, I was sitting in my room with the booklet out, playing the song on repeat trying to learn the words! Probably one of the first raps I learnt!

Also, am I the only one who thought it was Michael Jordan rapping? I remember seeing glimpses of him in the video (which I don't think I had watched in full yet) and I didn't recognise the rapper, so I was like "Of course it must be Michael Jordan" :smilerolleyes::lol:

Last edited:
I remember seeing the world premiere of that video back then. I was either 11 or 12 at the time. And I used to have such a huge major love for that song back when we still had him. It was one of my most played MJ songs and videos. But thanks to that evil nameless ahole. He forever destroyed the love I had for that song. Since it was Michael's Jam performance when I had gotten the worst news in the world about him. Now I forever hate that song. Since it is nothing more than a constant horrible reminder. Of how I had gotten the worst news ever about him. Now I just plainly wish that song never even existed.:(:boohoo

Jam is hugely underrated and a great example of how MJ did not peak with Thriller/BAD. I think if Jam had been released earlier in the Dangerous album lifecycle it would be remembered by the general public and get more respect. I remember the premiere of BoW in '91 but I have no recollection of Jam being released as a single at all. I think the first time I saw the video was much later when I bought the Dangerous short films VHS.

I think have only ever heard Jam played once in public and I don't think many people would be able to list it if asked to name MJ's singles. Great song though.

What's funny is my older brother said the exact same thing. He and his friend had just bought Dangerous when it came out in 91 and they were so taken aback by how hard hitting and how funky it was. They said the brass stabs was so violent that they almost jumped out of their seats and they were just looking at each other like holy F*** this is on another level!

Indeed Jam is in my top 5 as well. Excellent track, I wish it was even longer. Lyrically this may be his best song.

this thread made me want to listen to Dangerous again. such a good album :)

Tony R;4200635 said:
How have we not done Jam yet?

Definitely in my Top 5 MJ songs ever, and Top 3 Short Films.

Jam is a relentless piece of funk that doesn't stop.

Press play and prepare to be blasted out your chair. Jam literally breaks its way through the speakers. Jam is a dance-funk-pop hybrid that is impossible to sit still to. A six minute workout that leaves you shattered by the end of it. The message of the song is simple – there may be a lot of craziness going on in the world, but you know what? Once that music starts nothings gonna stop me. Jam is classic Michael, a 'Startin Somethin' for the next generation. It was to be the 5th Top 10 single in the UK from Dangerous and was accompanied by a stunning short film with a cameo from Michael Jordan – 2 MJ's at the top of their game.

Haha this, completely. You put so eloquently what my mind is trying to say when it's freaking out listening to such awesomeness! Jam is one on it's own, can't think of another song quite like it and it's frickin awesome. You cannot listen to it and not get that buzz of excitement, the louder the better! I totally agree that it's like a workout :lol: great way of describing it.

Jam is one of my favourite live performances from MJ. I'm no fan of lip syncing (Who is?), but Jam is one of the few songs where I can forgive lip syncing, because the performance is so electrifying.

Gotta love Jam!! It's 5 minutes 40 seconds of utter genius. It's amazing to me how relevant this song is even 26 years on

The lyrics are so deep and thought provoking, some of the greatest in Michael's career
The vocals are so rich and urgent, he grips you from the first word and doesn't let go. Heavy D's rap is on point as well, one of the best features in MJ's catalogue
The production is so tight and relevant even today, every aspect of this song is on another level. Teddy killed this one!! Shout out to the sleigh bells
Love the short film it's a classic. The dancing is incredible. It's great to see how Michael adapts out of his element, love the interaction between the two MJ's

Sleigh bells in Jam? So, Michael collaborated with Santa?

There are sleigh bells in Jam? I will have to take another listen.

I heard them when I listened with headphones. Between 0.10 to about 0.18 you'll hear a shh shh shh rhythm in the background, that's them. (album version), that ryhtm runs in the background of the song throughout. They're also noticeable in the lead up and start of the first verse

I heard them when I listened with headphones. Between 0.10 to about 0.18 you'll hear a shh shh shh rhythm in the background, that's them. (album version), that ryhtm runs in the background of the song throughout. They're also noticeable in the lead up and start of the first verse

Well, I'm be damned

Love it. Love it. LOVE IT!

Got to #13 here in the UK, which is not bad considering everyone had it on album by Sept/Oct 1992.

Played on heavy rotation on the video music channels here in the UK, at the time, as well.

Last edited:
Back