Michael Jackson’s Estate and Sony/ATV Extend Mijac Administration Agreement

CherubimII

Proud Member
Michael Jackson’s Estate and Sony/ATV Extend Mijac Administration Agreement

http://variety.com/2017/music/news/...nd-mijac-administration-agreement-1202502241/

Jem Aswad
Senior Music Editor
@jemaswad
michael-jackson.jpg

<time class="timestamp" datetime="2017-07-21T07:20:08-07:00" style="box-sizing: border-box; margin: 0px 0px 17px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; font-size: 11px; vertical-align: baseline; display: block; color: rgb(150, 150, 150); text-transform: uppercase; font-stretch: normal; line-height: 11px; font-family: Arial, &quot;Helvetica Neue&quot;, Helvetica, sans-serif;">JULY 21, 2017 | 07:20AM PT</time>Sony/ATV Music Publishing and the estate of Michael Jackson today announced a long-term extension of Sony/ATV&#8217;s worldwide administration of Jackson&#8217;s Mijac Music catalog. Terms of the deal were not disclosed.
Founded by Jackson in 1980 as his personal publishing company, Mijac Music grew into a formidable catalog, including his own compositions as well as the Sly and the Family Stone catalog and songs by the legendary Philadelphia soul team of Kenneth Gamble and Leon Huff, as well as songs made famous by other artists such as Ray Charles, Elvis Presley and Aretha Franklin.

Sony/ATV Chairman and CEO Martin Bandier said: &#8220;Michael Jackson&#8217;s Mijac catalog is one of the most significant and valuable in music. Michael&#8217;s songwriting talents are respected and admired by everyone, but I also want to acknowledge his gifts as a smart businessman who put together an incredible catalog of classic songs. His estate continues to further his vision and we are privileged to be the administrators of such an important collection of songs.&#8221;

The Sony Corporation bought out the estate&#8217;s 50 percent share of Sony/ATV in 2016 for $750 million. Jackson had purchased the ATV catalog in 1985 (which owns the rights to most of the Beatles&#8217; songs) for $41.5 million, and it with Sony Music Publishing as a joint venture in 1995. After the 2016 deal, his estate retained the rights to Mijac as well as its 10% share in EMI Music Publishing, which was acquired by a consortium led by Sony/ATV in 2012; Sony acquired 30% ownership in EMI as part of the deal.
Sources tell Variety that the remaining 60% &#8212; which is held by a consortium of investors including Abu Dhabi-based Mubadala Development, Jynwel Capital, Blackstone Group&#8217;s GSO Capital Partners and David Geffen &#8212;

The Mijac catalog includes all of the songs written by Jackson, including &#8220;Another Part Of Me,&#8221; &#8220;Bad,&#8221; &#8220;Beat It,&#8221; &#8220;Billie Jean,&#8221; &#8220;Black or White,&#8221; &#8220;Can You Feel It,&#8221; &#8220;Dangerous,&#8221; &#8220;Dirty Diana,&#8221; &#8220;Don&#8217;t Stop &#8216;Til You Get Enough,&#8221; &#8220;Earth Song,&#8221; &#8220;Heal the World,&#8221; &#8220;I Just Can&#8217;t Stop Loving You,&#8221; &#8220;Jam,&#8221; Scream,&#8221; &#8220;Smooth Criminal,&#8221; &#8220;The Way You Make Me Feel,&#8221; &#8220;They Don&#8217;t Care About Us,&#8221; &#8220;Wanna Be Startin&#8217; Somethin&#8217;,&#8221; &#8220;We Are the World&#8221; and &#8220;Say Say Say&#8221; and &#8220;The Girl Of Mine,&#8221; the latter two of which he recorded with Sir Paul McCartney.
Jackson&#8217;s first acquisition in 1983 was the catalog of Rock and Roll Hall of Fame artist Sylvester Stewart, aka, Sly Stone. Thereafter, Mijac went on to acquire thousands more songs, including &#8220;Ain&#8217;t No Stoppin&#8217; Us Now,&#8221; &#8220;After Midnight,&#8221; &#8220;Ease on Down the Road,&#8221; &#8220;Great Balls of Fire,&#8221; &#8220;(Your Love Keeps Lifting Me) Higher and Higher,&#8221; &#8220;I Got A Woman,&#8221; &#8220;If You Don&#8217;t Know Me By Now,&#8221; &#8220;Love Train,&#8221; &#8220;Mr. Bojangles,&#8221; &#8220;People Get Ready,&#8221; &#8220;Runaround Sue,&#8221; &#8220;Shake, Rattle and Roll,&#8221; &#8220;Sixteen Candles,&#8221; &#8220;The Wanderer,&#8221; &#8220;What&#8217;d I Say,&#8221; &#8220;When a Man Loves a Woman&#8221; and &#8220;You Don&#8217;t Know Me&#8221;.

Sony/ATV Music Publishing has announced an extension of its worldwide administration pact with Mijac Music, the publishing company that owns all of the songs written by Michael Jackson, the late "King of Pop." Founded by Jackson in 1980, the Mijac catalog also includes iconic songs written by funk icon Sly Stone and legendary soul hitmakers Kenneth Gamble and Leon Huff.

"[The] Mijac catalog is one of the most significant and valuable in music," commented Sony/ATV chairman and CEO Martin Bandier. "Michael's songwriting talents are respected and admired by everyone, but I also want to acknowledge his gifts as a smart businessman who put together an incredible catalog of classic songs."

If Jackson wrote it, it's in the Mijac catalog, a lucrative trove that includes hits like "Bad," "Beat It," "Billie Jean," "Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough," "Wanna Be Startin' Something'," "Black or White," "Heal the World," and dozens more. The catalog also include the blockbuster charity single "We Are the World," co-written with Lionel Richie, and his pair of hits with Paul McCartney, "The Girl Is Mine," which he wrote solo, and "Say Say Say," a collaboration with the former Beatle.

Not long after Mijac launched, Jackson began acquiring other works, beginning in 1983 with the catalog of Sylvester Stewart, better known as Sly Stone. That catalog includes Sly and the Family Stone hits including "Everyday People," "Dance to the Music" and "Family Affair," among others. Mijac later acquired tracks by Gamble and Huff, including "If You Don't Know Me by Now" and "Love Train," along with numerous songs made famous by legendary artists, including "Great Balls of Fire" (Jerry Lee Lewis), "When a Man Loves a Woman" (Percy Sledge) and "(Your Love Keeps Lifting Me) Higher and Higher" (Jackie Wilson).

Terms of the deal extension were not disclosed.

John Branca and John McClain, co-executors of the Jackson estate, remarked: "The incredible songs in the Mijac Music catalog showcase Michael&#8217;s creative genius as a songwriter, and further, his acumen in understanding the creative and commercial value of these acclaimed third party songs."

Bandier added praise to the estate, saying it "continues to further his vision and we are privileged to be the administrators of such an important collection of songs."

Sony's announcement that it will continue to administer the Mijac catalog arrives as Quincy Jones, the producer of many of those hits, battles it out in court with another sector of the MJ estate. Jones is currently suing MJJ Productions, saying he's owed millions of posthumous profits related to songs he produced for three of Jackson's solo albums, Off the Wall, Thriller and Bad. Closing arguments for the trial are expected to begin Monday, July 24.

Source - http://www.billboard.com/articles/b...ongs-mijac-publishing-sony-atv-administration

I'm requesting that the Administrators of this site combine this news into one thread, PLEASE. :cheeky:

Looks like another $100M+ earnings year for Michael's Estate with this, Thriller30 and the Cirque show still banking nightly in Vegas.

Its a wrap

his estate no longer has control over Michael Jackson's music, administers, runs, dictates

the handwriting was on the wall over 5 years ago this was going to happen

Last edited:
It`s a administration-deal. Michaels catalog was allways in a administration-deal, Warner and Sony ATV since 2012. It has nothing to do with owing the catalog.
Michael`s estate owns it.

It`s a administration-deal. Michaels catalog was allways in a administration-deal, Warner and Sony ATV since 2012. It has nothing to do with owing the catalog.
Michael`s estate owns it.

Correct. Some fans are just uneducated.

Michael (and now his estate) has always been the 100% owner of Mijac Publishing (Michael's own music and label).

This news is just confirming what should have been clear:
The Michael Jackson Estate and Sony Music EXTEND their partnership BEYOND 2017, so they'll stick with Sony Music distributing Michael's music.

I have no idea why anyone would think they would suddenly make a deal with another record company.

Correct. Some fans are just uneducated.

Michael (and now his estate) has always been the 100% owner of Mijac Publishing (Michael's own music and label).

This news is just confirming what should have been clear:
The Michael Jackson Estate and Sony Music EXTEND their partnership BEYOND 2017, so they'll stick with Sony Music distributing Michael's music.

I have no idea why anyone would think they would suddenly make a deal with another record company.

Right. Isn't this just an extension of the contract they agreed to back in 2010? Basically, nothing has changed, correct?

It's been extended. It's good news.

Unless you live your life drowning in negativity and conspiracy theories.

Its a wrap

his estate no longer has control over Michael Jackson's music, administers, runs, dictates

the handwriting was on the wall over 5 years ago this was going to happen

It's an ADMINISTRATION DEAL. Same kind Mijac had with Warner Chappell.

It's like some people don't read the actual article. Oh yeah....

Some people just like to troll anything related to the estates business.

Its called reading between the lines, which goes beyond the context of this agreement

And with the flack and criticism that's been hashed out towards his estate since 2010, its a clear indication that things aren't going as well as one would expect

Last edited:
So "reading between the lines" it means the Estate sold MiJac to Sony and has no longer control of MJ's music?

Good grief!

Steve-Carell-Facepalm.gif

I just read this post at face value and thought you'd gone mental!

Its called reading between the lines, which goes beyond the context of this agreement

And with the flack and criticism that's been hashed out towards his estate since 2010, its a clear indication that things aren't going as well as one would expect
"I didn't understand what the article meant" would've been a shorter post, ya know...

Why are people so upset in this thread? Some people understood the article, some did not. What's the big deal like?

Back