Val Kilmer tells a story about meeting Michael.

Ms. BlueGangsta

Proud Member
"Once I met Michael Jackson at a fancy Hollywood Hills party. One of the great agents of all time, Sue Mengers, thru a grand affair and everyone was there and my girlfriend at the time was, ahem, Cher. So even though the joint was jammed with every Jack Nicholson you could IMAGINE, the front door opens and a BREATHTAKING BLOND slinks in. Thats the only word, breathtaking. and everyone immediately starts to turn, and behind her in walks MICHAEL, at the height of THRULLER, so the stars all but applauded at the sight of him. And time stars to really slow down now because it was a ramp they curved into the living room down, and as they decent, he passes her and is now gently pulling her, his eyes, it seemed LOCKED onto mine. Its all too bizarre because up until then I'd only met about 3 genuine superstars and I was dating one of them, but even as I am trying to make sense of what I know cant really be happening, is happening, he finally throws his free hand up into the air, and yells, (of course) "CCCCCCCCCCHHHHHHHHHHHEEEEEEEERRRRRR".

He was looking right through me to my date who i finally turn to and shes totally dropped her cool to an kinda yodells back like she does,"Michael" or it might have even been Mikey, I sweat to God. She gets up for him, and they hug forever, leaving me with the blond godesses with the same look on our faces I'm sure which said, "I don't really understand how I am here, but I am here, so I'm just going to act this is normal for as long as I can. Well in a flash we are all sitting together kind of ontop of each other cuse theres no furnture available I think they were each on and arm of the armchair, or it was a sofa and others ejected themselves so the royals could catch up. Michael was almost insane about her. I loved her so much.

I guess cause when they worked together it was still the Jackson 5 and probably because Cher and he probably shared the same lightning quick humor and fun about evrything. so now theres a parade, like a conga line of people waiting to pay their respects, but hes not rude to people like Quincy Jones, or Meryl Streep but hes just not involved with anyone but her. Finally theres a break, and Michael looks at me and smiles. He was a really open hearted guy, and I wasn't a fan of the music so it was easy to talk to him. He looks down at my gigantic socks, hand woven as I recall like Jane Fonda work out leg warmers... and he says "OOOOhhhh those a nice socks. Where's you get those socks?? Arent they nice socks?" The bombshell nods.Then he starts to pet the sock closest to him. "Yes those are lovely..." Have I mentioned they were an angelic pink?I am wearing giant pink socks and Michael Jackson is petting me because they are in front him. In my deepest classically trained theater voice I respond as deep as I could,"My girlfriend gave them gave them to me to me." He whirled around and asked her all about them and she complied with glee. They made each other very happy and everyone else.

So the night moves on, they get up and make the rounds. I suddenly have 50 new young friends. Michael eventually returns, the bombshell has vanished, and he invites us over to his house, right now. Now I mentioned I wasn't a fan but that doesnt mean I didn't know the order of evrery song on that beyond hit record. It was the law back then. So the idea of going to his house was truly exciting But Cher, always full of surprises, said "no no... some other time....blah blalh blah..." I was pretty easy going back then but I'm pretty sure I made it very clear I was the man in this relationship and Quincy Jones and Michael Jackson want to move the party and want us there, well, lady witht the big hair all over the place and all the sequins, WE ARE GOING... But we didn't go.

Eventually she told me, I think months later, that she felt very very sad for Michael but that he had lots of personal challenges and she didn't want to go to his house and be reminded of them. She didnt gossip but made sure I understood that the dad and other issues made it just too sad for her. Poor Cher. Poor Michael.

I wish I still had the socks. Altho they were as large as a pair of uggs. What was I thinking... She had me under a spell that Cher. But at least Michael petted my ankle. That happened..."

I got this story from a Reddit AMA BTW.
Here's a link to it.
https://np.reddit.com/r/movies/comm...orartist_val_kilmer_im_the/dkrozq1/?context=3

Back