Michael Jackson's 'They Don’t Care About Us' Gains New Relevance

Paris78

Proud Member
Donations
$240.00
they-dont-care-about-us.gif

Michael Jackson's 'They Don’t Care About Us' Gains New Relevance After Charlottesville

"If Martin Luther was livin'/ He wouldn’t let this be/ Skin head, dead head / Everybody’s gone bad" sang Michael Jackson in the song "They Don't Care About Us." The lyrics are striking a chord again now, three days after the tragedy in Charlottesville.

Taken from the album HIStory: Past, Present and Future – Book I, released in 1995, "They Don't Care About Us" is probably Michael Jackson's most politically-engaged track.

And with good reason. The song openly discusses racial discrimination, skinheads, Martin Luther King, and the passive stance authorities often take against injustice. "All I want to say is that/ They don't really care about us," crooned the King of Pop, implicitly referring to people of color in America.

Aside from the political lyrics which are still extremely relevant, one version of the video clip has been getting a lot of attention now, over twenty years since its release.

Both versions of the video were directed by Spike Lee, who is known for his activism on behalf of people of color, as is evident in his filmography which includes Jungle Fever (1991) and Malcolm X (1992).

The first version of the video was filmed in the streets of Salvador de Bahia in Brazil. Displeased with the results, Michael Jackson decided, for the first time in his career, to film a second version himself.

Michael's version was a big hit at the time. In the clip, he appears handcuffed in a jail cell before going on to dance in the middle of the prison cafeteria filled with mostly black prisoners.

The inmates begin to protest, while archival images flash onscreen portraying historic police violence, famine in Africa, human rights violations and Ku Klux Klan gatherings.

Modern relevance

In a divided America that often prefers to ignore racial tensions, the video for "They Don't Care About Us" feels pretty provocative.

Particularly since it came from one of the most iconic black pop musicians of all time – who also happened to be adored by the white middle class. Due to the controversial content, the clip was actually censored in the 1990s, and MTV and VH1 would only air it after 9pm.

In the days following the death of 32-year-old activist Heather Heyer in Charlottesville, references to Michael Jackson's video have been popping up all over Twitter. Many shared the clip online saying the images and content took on even deeper meaning in Trump's America.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="de"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">The first version of Michael Jackson's 'They Don't Care About Us' video which was refused to be played on tv &amp; we know why. &#9787; <a href="https://t.co/FCw0pNqlyh">pic.twitter.com/FCw0pNqlyh</a></p>&mdash; Hanan. (@USoulSurvivor) <a href="https://twitter.com/USoulSurvivor/status/896876048901591041">13. August 2017</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
http://www.konbini.com/us/entertainment/they-dont-care-about-us-michael-jackson-anti-racist-anthem/

A tweet asserting that "the first version of Michael Jackson's 'They Don't Care About Us' video... was refused to be played on tv & we know why" has been liked by over 160,000 people and retweeted over 106,000 times.

And if we needed any further proof that the clip still has a strong impact, the comments section under the video on YouTube recently had to be deactivated because the debates were getting too violent.

"They Don't Care About Us" seems like the perfect anti-racist anthem for these trying times.

they-don-t-care-about-us-michael-jackson-7126671-699-877.jpg

They-Dont-Care-About-Us-michael-jackson-18446739-610-908.jpg

Should have listened to mike. Hes always right in the end. To late now.

Here's a screen shot that shows how many comments, likes, and retweets that the tweet in the article has as of now.:)
qd5M7ET.jpg

I think the tweet trended too (although I'm not sure how a single tweet can trend because I thought only hashtags could trend).

Very very sad that the song is even more relevant now than it was when it was released 22 years ago....

Has the world learned nothing???

The song came back to life after the murders of michael brown etc etc..... it was used in protest marches back then

Truely it's a great song. So strong and powerful. - Great message. Glad to see it used.

I never understood the controversy. From day 1 I understood the message.
I can't quite remember what offended people. Was it his use of the slang word for Jew? In hindsight I can see why an offensive word would offend people, but from memory the people driving the backlash were reporters who weren't even jewish. I don't remember any Jews claiming to be offended before reporters whipped up the sh!t storm.

Also, I never really understood the controversy surrounding the video. It used footage that had already been shown on TV news. What's so offensive about that? In the context of the song it worked well IMO.

As it happens I actually preferred the version shot in the Favela(s) anyway so it worked out ok. The blue/green screen effects of MJ dancing with videos in the backgrous looked cheap (poorly executed), even in '96.

^^

Yeah, the Jew me - part... antisemistic?? not at all... Some stupid people (only the press back then really..) wanted to interpret it the wrong and negative way...

They just tried to bring focus away from the theme of t he song. Luckily time has gotten the song back on track...

It's not even just because of the world's troubles in recent years....

As soon as the first clips from TII were released to the media (the TDCAU rehearsal) the song started to get some recognition and people liked it. If it hadn't been for TII I don't think people would be quoting and singing TDCAU so often.

Too many people always make the same mistake, assuming a few loons represent everyone in a country or its culture. I'm reminded of the following quote, by early 20th-century educator Booker T. Washington...

"There is a class of colored people who make a business of keeping the troubles, the wrongs, and the hardships of the Negro race before the public. Having learned that they are able to make a living out of their troubles, they have grown into the settled habit of advertising their wrongs - partly because they want sympathy and partly because it pays. Some of these people do not want the Negro to lose his grievances, because they do not want to lose their jobs."

It seemed to me that Diane Sawyer also felt the lyrics were anti-semitic when she asked Michael about it. Or rather she highlighted to him that 'some people are saying it'. To me it meant she agreed.

It seemed to me that Diane Sawyer also felt the lyrics were anti-semitic when she asked Michael about it. Or rather she highlighted to him that 'some people are saying it'. To me it meant she agreed.
Just about everything is deemed racist now, unless you're speaking to a white American male. Then, its fair game for every other group to attack us. There's also this pervasive mentality, that if a dark-skinned person dares to have conservative values, they have somehow "betrayed their race". Its absolute BS, propagated by those who identify themselves first as victims, beyond all else. I often tell people, "it is entirely possible, that my ancestors once did something utterly horrible to yours. It is also possible, that yours did something equally horrible to mine. Neither of us were there, so why don't we just drop it?"

Seriously, folks - its been 150 years since the end of the Civil War, and almost 50 since segregation was abolished in the USA. At what point is everyone going to quit playing the "race card", and grow up instead of whining all the time? I'm not saying to forget about racism entirely...but let it serve as a warning for the future, instead of always keeping it in the present.

Just about everything is deemed racist now, unless you're speaking to a white American male. Then, its fair game for every other group to attack us. There's also this pervasive mentality, that if a dark-skinned person dares to have conservative values, they have somehow "betrayed their race". Its absolute BS, propagated by those who identify themselves first as victims, beyond all else. I often tell people, "it is entirely possible, that my ancestors once did something utterly horrible to yours. It is also possible, that yours did something equally horrible to mine. Neither of us were there, so why don't we just drop it?"

Seriously, folks - its been 150 years since the end of the Civil War, and almost 50 since segregation was abolished in the USA. At what point is everyone going to quit playing the "race card", and grow up instead of whining all the time? I'm not saying to forget about racism entirely...but let it serve as a warning for the future, instead of always keeping it in the present.

I agree that people do sometimes cry wolf when it comes to racism and that we should learn from the past, but as far as everything else in your comment goes....well shit look at what went down in Charlottesville a few days ago.
It's not as easy as you think when it comes to not "keeping it in the present."
Hell, the president alone makes it damn near impossible to not keep racism in the present.

And as far as the white males being attacked thing, I'm not white nor am I male, but I don't think that every other group feels as though they have carte blanche to attack white males with the key word being group.
I'm sure some individuals do feel like they can attack white males but not every other group.
Additionally, I think it all depends on what conservative values you're talking about because for the most part I've never known conservative values to result in someone being labeled a betrayer of their own race.
I mean, I'm sure it's probably happened before but I've never known such a thing to be the norm at all.

I also think that it's important to note that interactions that happened between ancestors in the past can actually affect the current generation and that although we weren't personally there for every one on one interaction between two people we all know full and well what things were like in the past via historical documentation/history books and even pictures (but that's a conversation for another day).

Lastly, I don't think anyone identifies first as a victim, but honestly, if you were Black, Jewish, Hispanic, etc with all of the mess going on now along with knowing that someone you know is heavily biased against you is in the highest position of power that exist in America would you be happy?
It's not "whining" when people voice unhappiness about idiots running around trying to burn crosses, hailing hitler, and having klan rallies. :/

Last edited:
Diane sawyer was /is hardly mjs biggest fan. The issue started because of the ADL who have a rep for sometimes attention seeking and there was no one better to attack to get attenion than mj. The words jew and **** were used in the song to highlight anti semitisim as the song was about racisim. It was blatently clear wlthe message mj was pushing but mj had a habit of talking about issues that the establishment did not want put out there so he was attacked for it. Nothing new when it came to mj. He did not confirm to what they wanted him to be so when ever he spread his message he was attacked or mocked.

America has a history and problem with race like no other country and while of course you will find people who will exploit that the other way theres no doubting,when you see for one the amount of black people being killed by the police (and thats just the ones that get attention)that there is a instititional problem that doesnt seem to have changed much since the 50's. Nothing is surprising unfortunatly considering americas history what happened in virgina just plays on that with neo nazi malitia walking around looking like soliders.armed to the hilt. One comment from a commentator made me smile. He said something like what do you think the police would do if black follks put on their flat jackets dressed up like soliders and took to the streets with rifles etc. Just stand there and do nothing?.the fact anyone other than the army or police can do that is a joke to start with.

Last edited:
I often tell people, "it is entirely possible, that my ancestors once did something utterly horrible to yours. It is also possible, that yours did something equally horrible to mine. Neither of us were there, so why don't we just drop it?"

tenor.gif

? ?

Sorry movie thats the most ridiculous statement. There were only one set of victims during the slave area. And the reprecussions of that

Using terms like "them" and "us" when discussing race issues just irks me. Perhaps I'm one of these overly sensitive people you refer to.

Diane sawyer was and is like all those media pigs / they had agenda and did not care that they were destroying a person - they were out to get him cuz of the colour of his skin

I agree that people do sometimes cry wolf when it comes to racism and that we should learn from the past, but as far as everything else in your comment goes....well shit look at what went down in Charlottesville a few days ago.
That was a terrible thing, but it was not an epidemic nor indicative of the "institutional racism" spouted by the mainstream media. It was one group of racists, bitching about a statue of Robert E. Lee, who were willing to commit murder. One person died (Heather Heyer), and 19 were injured. Horrible, yes...but not a massive tragedy the last time I checked. As most here should know, the media love blowing things out of proportion.

It's not as easy as you think when it comes to not "keeping it in the present."
I never said it was easy, but it still needs doing. As long as people keep dwelling on crimes of the past, teaching the same hate to their kids, its never going to die.

Hell, the president alone makes it damn near impossible to not keep racism in the present.
Name one thing Trump has said recently, that was explicitly racist.

And as far as the white males being attacked thing, I'm not white nor am I male, but I don't think that every other group feels as though they have carte blanche to attack white males with the key word being group. I'm sure some individuals do feel like they can attack white males but not every other group.
I was generalizing to stress a point, which is that different "rules" seem applicable to white males versus most other groups in the country...at least with regard to expressing opinions publicly. How many times has the following been said: "You can't say that, because you're white"?

Additionally, I think it all depends on what conservative values you're talking about because for the most part I've never known conservative values to result in someone being labeled a betrayer of their own race.
Look at folks like Ben Carson, Allen West, and Stacey Dash. All of them are firmly conservative, and routinely blasted as racial traitors because they don't tow the Leftist line of perpetual victimhood.

I also think that it's important to note that interactions that happened between ancestors in the past can actually affect the current generation and that although we weren't personally there for every one on one interaction between two people we all know full and well what things were like in the past via historical documentation/history books and even pictures (but that's a conversation for another day).
Of course the past can affect the present...but its become so utterly beyond control I often want to throw up. I can't even watch most of the news anymore, because someone's always bitching about "race this", or "race that".

Lastly, I don't think anyone identifies first as a victim, but honestly, if you were Black, Jewish, Hispanic, etc with all of the mess going on now along with knowing that someone you know is heavily biased against you is in the highest position of power that exist in America would you be happy?
I wasn't happy while Obama was in office, but it had nothing to do with his skin tone. He was a traitor on multiple levels, from national sovereignty and religious freedom to abortion and marriage. By contrast, I honestly think Trump's done more good for the USA in the past 6 months, than Obama did in 8 years. But again, its about someone's choices - not their heritage.

It's not "whining" when people voice unhappiness about idiots running around trying to burn crosses, hailing hitler, and having klan rallies. :/
True, but to suggest those people represent the majority of whites is absolute BS (and I don't even like that term). We need to quit judging every group based on the actions of a few loons...on every side.

They Don't Care About Us has stayed in relevance... It has been part of many demonstrations through the years when a group of people feel ignored and/or mistreated in some type of way. it's fitting for sure!

That was a terrible thing, but it was not an epidemic nor indicative of the "institutional racism" spouted by the mainstream media. It was one group of racists, bitching about a statue of Robert E. Lee, who were willing to commit murder. One person died (Heather Heyer), and 19 were injured. Horrible, yes...but not a massive tragedy the last time I checked. As most here should know, the media love blowing things out of proportion.

I never said it was easy, but it still needs doing. As long as people keep dwelling on crimes of the past, teaching the same hate to their kids, its never going to die.

I was generalizing to stress a point, which is that different "rules" seem applicable to white males versus most other groups in the country...at least with regard to expressing opinions publicly. How many times has the following been said: "You can't say that, because you're white"?

Look at folks like Ben Carson, Allen West, and Stacey Dash. All of them are firmly conservative, and routinely blasted as racial traitors because they don't tow the Leftist line of perpetual victimhood.

Of course the past can affect the present...but its become so utterly beyond control I often want to throw up. I can't even watch most of the news anymore, because someone's always bitching about "race this", or "race that".

I wasn't happy while Obama was in office, but it had nothing to do with his skin tone. He was a traitor on multiple levels, from national sovereignty and religious freedom to abortion and marriage. By contrast, I honestly think Trump's done more good for the USA in the past 6 months, than Obama did in 8 years. But again, its about someone's choices - not their heritage.

True, but to suggest those people represent the majority of whites is absolute BS (and I don't even like that term). We need to quit judging every group based on the actions of a few loons...on every side.
The bolded is insensitive, and that single group of racist have many more like them throughout America.

Personally, history class didn't make me hate anyone in the least, and I don't think most people hate anyone after history class unless their off their rocker and/or have hate in them already.

Trumps racism is damn near implicit at this point.
Sometimes it's also about what's not said as opposed to what is.
Most recently though he condemned "both sides" when one side were literal nazis and the other side was protesting against those nazis (not to mention that there was loss of life on the anti-nazi side)
Hell, David Duke approved of what Trump said, and that is not a good thing.

What opinions are you talking about?
If anyone regardless of race expresses a generally offensive opinion I think there going to be admonished regardless of their race.
I've also very rarely if at all heard the words "You can't say that, because you're white." outside of reference to the N word.
And when it comes to that I personally feel as no one should use that word whether they're black, white, blue, or purple, and the people I'm around don't use the word.
My answer for you when it comes to the N word is to not use it yourself and also to do your own personal best to get others not to use it regardless of their race.

I don't think those people are berated because their seen as racial outliers.
I think those people are berated and criticized for their opinions in general.
I've seen all of them in TV and read articles about them and when I do they're being lambasted for their opinions and the affect them making their opinions law would have on people, not because their race traitors or something.

Don't know what to tell you about this, but racial things are happening in America, and it's going to be reported on.

I didn't reference Trump's heritage at all in the first place.
Heritage has nothing to do with being biased against people you're supposed to look after, which are Americans in Trumps case, and all of them, not just the ones he supports and likes.

I don't think anyone in their right mind thinks nazis, klan members, etc represent the majority of white people.
It was a white woman protesting against nazis that lost her life in Charolettesville.

I find some of the things and the ire/conviction that you've said them with problematic and worrying, but overall, IDK what else to say to you, so I'm done.
This was a bit of a thread derailment in the first place I think. :/

Last edited:
The song and the prison video are so powerful and relevant for today, and unfortunately probably tomorrow the way the world is going. His words, truth and anger sting true 20 years later.

What about the time he launched a travel ban aimed directly at Arabs/Muslims. You can argue it wasn't intended at Muslims all you like, but I'm literally quoting his website (the page was up until a few months ago, when social media got a hold of it again and they took it down soon after).

What about the time he directly banned refugees from Syria (the refugees of which were already going through strict processes to ensure they weren't safety threats).

What about the time he claimed a federal judge of Mexican heritage would biased in their ruling, solely because of his race?

What about the time the Justice Department sued his company not once, but twice, for refusing to rent to black people? His companies have been again successfully fined (even through appeals) for further racial discrimination in the 1990s.

What about the time he outright called Mexicans immigrants rapists?

What about the time he questioned Obama's birthplace for half a decade? He held that position despite Obama releasing his long form birth certificate - funny how he never did that with any President ever - all of whom were white.

What about the time he tried to open a Casino in the early 1990s, that would compete against the Mashantucket Pequot Nation, who were a local Native American tribe. That in itself obviously isn't racist, but he made comments to a subcommittee in 1993 about how they "don't look like Indians to me" "They don't look like Indians to Indians", further claiming without a single shrill of evidence about how the Mafia had infiltrated those casinos in an attempt to help ruin their reputation.

What about the time when he publicly refused to believe that 5 coloured men were innocent of raping and beating a woman to death, despite DNA evidence literally proving their innocence?

What about the time two of his followers beat up a homeless Latino man, citing Donald Trump specifically in their report to the officers - saying he was right and that they needed to be deported. Trump didn't distance himself from them as any remotely decent person would, instead he quickly commented and went on about how they were simply "passionate" about the country. What if this was a white woman?

Of course there is also the time he refused to specifically denounce the White Supremacists and Nazis a few days ago, then finally denouncing them after being pressured, only to go back to his original position of there were wrongdoers on both sides. Violence is never the answer, we can all agree on that, but when it comes to picking who to support, the Nazis and White Supremacists or the people trying to stop the Nazis and White Supremacists, it's pretty f**king clear who you should be supporting. The fact he tried to equate the actions of literal murderous white supremacists, to those who were protesting them is disgusting.

Never mind he even going on to say that there were surely some "very fine" people on both sides... I'm sorry but no, that is not acceptable behaviour by the President of the United States. Even his most closest allies like Paul Ryan were outright condemning the White Supremacists and Nazis and for many very good reasons.

Donald Trump doesn't have to outright say "I hate black people" or "I hate Mexicans" or what not to be shown he's a racist, he has displayed a disturbing pattern time and time again over the course of his lifetime that he has a racist and xenophobic attitude (I mean, I haven't even mentioned everything).

Donald Trump is a racist.

Last edited:
chisato&#8207; @MJloveCK

This world needs him…&#127759;
#MichaelJackson

DHkKq4GUIAA9GMB.jpg

What about the time he launched a travel ban aimed directly at Arabs/Muslims. You can argue it wasn't intended at Muslims all you like, but I'm literally quoting his website (the page was up until a few months ago, when social media got a hold of it again and they took it down soon after).

What about the time he directly banned refugees from Syria (the refugees of which were already going through strict processes to ensure they weren't safety threats).

What about the time he claimed a federal judge of Mexican heritage would biased in their ruling, solely because of his race?

What about the time the Justice Department sued his company not once, but twice, for refusing to rent to black people? His companies have been again successfully fined (even through appeals) for further racial discrimination in the 1990s.

What about the time he outright called Mexicans immigrants rapists?

What about the time he questioned Obama's birthplace for half a decade? He held that position despite Obama releasing his long form birth certificate - funny how he never did that with any President ever - all of whom were white.

What about the time he tried to open a Casino in the early 1990s, that would compete against the Mashantucket Pequot Nation, who were a local Native American tribe. That in itself obviously isn't racist, but he made comments to a subcommittee in 1993 about how they "don't look like Indians to me" "They don't look like Indians to Indians", further claiming without a single shrill of evidence about how the Mafia had infiltrated those casinos in an attempt to help ruin their reputation.

What about the time when he publicly refused to believe that 5 coloured men were innocent of raping and beating a woman to death, despite DNA evidence literally proving their innocence?

What about the time two of his followers beat up a homeless Latino man, citing Donald Trump specifically in their report to the officers - saying he was right and that they needed to be deported. Trump didn't distance himself from them as any remotely decent person would, instead he quickly commented and went on about how they were simply "passionate" about the country. What if this was a white woman?

Of course there is also the time he refused to specifically denounce the White Supremacists and Nazis a few days ago, then finally denouncing them after being pressured, only to go back to his original position of there were wrongdoers on both sides. Violence is never the answer, we can all agree on that, but when it comes to picking who to support, the Nazis and White Supremacists or the people trying to stop the Nazis and White Supremacists, it's pretty f**king clear who you should be supporting. The fact he tried to equate the actions of literal murderous white supremacists, to those who were protesting them is disgusting.

Never mind he even going on to say that there were surely some "very fine" people on both sides... I'm sorry but no, that is not acceptable behaviour by the President of the United States. Even his most closest allies like Paul Ryan were outright condemning the White Supremacists and Nazis and for many very good reasons.

Donald Trump doesn't have to outright say "I hate black people" or "I hate Mexicans" or what not to be shown he's a racist, he has displayed a disturbing pattern time and time again over the course of his lifetime that he has a racist and xenophobic attitude (I mean, I haven't even mentioned everything).

Donald Trump is a racist.
I honestly haven't heard of any of those things, apart from the immigration restrictions...but then, I don't watch the news on a regular basis either. What I do know is that the countries involved in Trump's original restriction list all had a history of repeated violent conflict with the USA...regardless of motivation. It is the job of any President (at least in this country) to protect the legal citizens from any external threats...whether doing so makes the President popular or not.

I'm surprised some people on this forum are defending Trump...
Thank God I'm Canadian lol
Edit : Wasn't TDCAU MJs last rehearsal performance?

Back