Song Of The Week - Heartbreak Hotel

YES!! My favourite Jacksons song

Love Heartbreak Hotel, had this been on Off The Wall it would have been one of Michael's most loved hits. Certainly one of the best songs he's written.
My only pet gripe is it's called This Place Hotel, when we all know Mike wanted to call it Heartbreak Hotel :hysterical:

I freaking love this song. Whenever I hear this song on the radio I always think even today it just sounds so different from anything you hear on the radio

I love this song but my god nothing compares to its live counterpart. Whenever I feel the need to listen to Heartbreak hotel I always find myself listening to a live version (The same with another part of me). The song is MJ through and through! All of his trademarks are present in this song from the theme to the vocal delivery to the beat to the rhythm. A masterpiece

Written and composed by Michael (and produced by The Jacksons), the song would precede Jackson's own hit, "Billie Jean", in its insecurity-plagued tale of confusion. In the song, the protagonist speaks of a time when ten years ago, he took his girlfriend to a hotel for a romantic night - only to find out that it was designed specifically to break couples up. The staff at the hotel gave the girl the impression that he had cheated on her with someone else, something he did not do, which caused her to break up with him in the hotel.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/This_Place_Hotel

Well, then, one should never go to a hotel with Michael lest they will break up with him, is the moral of this story!

mqdefault.jpg

This is the beginning of the fear and paranoia that would go on to become staples in Michael's signature hits. A key moment in his growth as a writer. Instead of being haunted by the supernatural, it's female stalkers out to ruin his relationship. In fact, the majority of the 'Triumph' album follows this theme. Which is why I don't mind it being here. Besides we can't forget Latoya's scream and Tito's guitar solo! It really is an audio experience, with a dream sequence and recovery. Whilst cackling on the intro for 'Off The Wall' playfully portrayed party-goers as creatures of the night, the horror sound bites here (both manual and electronic) are played straight. Was this Pop? R&B? I feel this was when Michael was becoming a genre onto himself.

Back