Level completed: 4%, Points required for next Level: 193
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks

Default Re: RS-IV:Quincy-jones-on-the-making-of-michael-jacksons-bad-

Quote Originally Posted by respect77 View Post
    Yet, Quincy Jones himself followed that trend. Haven't you heard his production for Tevin Campbell which was more generic and cliché NJS than anything on Dangerous? Same year as when Dangerous was released. LOL. Not to mention his Back on the Block album which aged horribly.

Yeah, a revised production of the song he originally produced for the Brothers Johnson during the late 70s

Lollllll

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsTagger Second ClassVeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,564 Times in 3,740 Posts

I've seen many lists of the worst Grammy winners and Q's album Back on the Block is considered one of the worst Grammy winners but Quincy has many powerful friends in the industry. Michael has never been considered undeserving winner, actually criminally snubbed for BAD and Dangerous.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Snow White luvs Peter Pan For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 196
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,549 Times in 425 Posts

Michael achieved plenty after BAD, probably some of his very best work, and Quincy was nowhere near any of it.

Again I ask. What did Quincy achieve after BAD?

That Back On The Block album is a complete joke. Just compare it to Dangerous. It's laughable.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to SmoothMJ For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 451
    Achievements:
    VeteranThree Friends10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,352 Times in 928 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SmoothCriminal1995 View Post
    I get frustrated with Q of late, I have a lot of respect for him and his legendary musical ability but why does keep doggin' Mike every chance he gets. I can't remember the last time he mentioned how incredible Michael was a singer/songwriter or how brilliant he was in general in fact. Yet he seems to give everybody else love and respect. I do understand that from a producer's mindset giving the unsung hero's of the record some dues which is great but still come on.
    Quincy's statements in the recent court case were so telling to me in this regard. Quincy got agitated on the stand when the Jackson lawyers forced him to compare Michael's original demos with the finished tracks and he expressed that producers get blamed for failures while artists get credit for hits which shows very clearly to me that Quincy has harboured this grievance for a long time in respect of his work with Michael. I think Quincy worries that his legacy will be as Michael's producer and he feels strong insecurities as to what he actually brought to the table in this role.

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ChrisC For This Useful Post:

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by respect77 View Post
    ^ Sure this is the absolute same production. LMAO.

He revised it in the generic NJS style of the early 90s. I brought it up because you have thrown shade at MJ for using NJS five years after it was invended. So did Quincy - and a lot more generic and cliché version of it at that.

And BTW, it is very characteristic of Quincy to revise old hits he produced in the trendy style of an actual era. So it is not like it's only MJ who has been following current production trends. So did Quincy. And it's not like it's only MJ who used current producers, Quincy also used currently hip artists at any given era.

Case in point:

I didn't throw shade if it isn't true......

as far as Back On The Block, it was really a celebration of Quincy's career in the music field as he featured artists from all genres he either knew personally or had the opportunity to work with from jazz artists, soul artists, gospel artists, rap artists, and a prodigy such as Tevin Campbell

and Quincy revised former songs he already produced, not taking other people's songs and using it......

as mentioned earlier, after Bad, there wasn't anything left to prove and the handwriting was on the wall that MJ was going to work with someone else when sales did not meat his expectation......

he made accomplished music post Quincy Jones that extended from Dangerous to Invincible, a fan of music would not be fair to suggest other wise, songs like Break of Dawn, Will You Be There, Earth Song, Smile, You Are Not Alone, is some of the best work he ever did

but his most successful work and most memorable in the eyes of the public at large, with many of those people supporting the Jackson Five from day one, that work as an adult solo artist was done with Quincy.....even Teddy Riley and Rodney Jerkins know this, or even a Will I Am who alluded to it

the quintessential r&b/soul album, the greatest selling album ever, and the most anticipated follow up in music history, all produced by Quincy Jones...

and that's not throwing shade, those are facts...

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

Michael's demos proved where the bulk of the credit needs to go, for most of MJ's #1s. Quincy hates that, and has become bitter over time.

He's turned on Michael like the rest of them. Forget him.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SmoothMJ For This Useful Post:

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bringing Brighter Days View Post
    I didn't throw shade if it isn't true......

as far as Back On The Block, it was really a celebration of Quincy's career in the music field as he featured artists from all genres he either knew personally or had the opportunity to work with from jazz artists, soul artists, gospel artists, rap artists, and a prodigy such as Tevin Campbell

and Quincy revised former songs he already produced, not taking other people's songs and using it......

as mentioned earlier, after Bad, there wasn't anything left to prove and the handwriting was on the wall that MJ was going to work with someone else when sales did not meat his expectation......

he made accomplished music post Quincy Jones that extended from Dangerous to Invincible, a fan of music would not be fair to suggest other wise, songs like Break of Dawn, Will You Be There, Earth Song, Smile, You Are Not Alone, is some of the best work he ever did

but his most successful work and most memorable in the eyes of the public at large, with many of those people supporting the Jackson Five from day one, that work as an adult solo artist was done with Quincy.....even Teddy Riley and Rodney Jerkins know this, or even a Will I Am who alluded to it

the quintessential r&b/soul album, the greatest selling album ever, and the most anticipated follow up in music history, all produced by Quincy Jones...

and that's not throwing shade, those are facts...
    And it's "facts" that Quincy has done nothing of note, without Michael, since. Whereas it's "facts" that Michael did without him.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to SmoothMJ For This Useful Post:

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SmoothMJ View Post
    And it's "facts" that Quincy has done nothing of note, without Michael, since. Whereas it's "facts" that Michael did without him.
    And fact is Quincy Jones did plenty and later today, I will post all that activity

Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsTagger Second ClassVeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,564 Times in 3,740 Posts

I don't think musically his projects were that successful after BAD.Back on the block may have been awarded but it's not acclaimed critically and I don't count The Fresh Prince of Bel-air because that's television.

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

And fact is Quincy Jones did plenty and later today, I will post all that activity
    Quincy did plenty. Just none of it any good.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SmoothMJ For This Useful Post:

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

How many did Back on the block sell, compared to Dangerous or History? That album pales in comparison.

Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsTagger First ClassVeteranOverdrive50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,208 Times in 747 Posts

Default George Martin

that collaboration between Michael Jackson and Quincy Jones/Quincy Jones and Michael Jackson is the best years of Michael's career, but the most prolific collaboration between any artist and any producer in the history of recorded music and nothing will ever change that.....
    The Beatles & George Martin did more albums together than Mike & Quincy. They only did 3 albums, (4 if you count The Wiz soundtrack) how is that prolific? George Martin also produced a couple of Paul's solo albums. Quincy did more albums with The Brothers Johnson than with Mike

19. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DuranDuran For This Useful Post:

Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsTagger First ClassVeteranOverdrive50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,208 Times in 747 Posts

Default New Jack Swing

Quote Originally Posted by Moviefan2k4 View Post
    I always wondered though, why Michael split from him
    I'd guess that by the time Bad came out, Quincy's sound was on the way out. Around 1986 hip hop hit the mainstream in the US with Run DMC and then The Fat Boys, Beastie Boys, & LL Cool J. Hip hop started to influence R&B. New Jack Swing was the result. Bobby Brown was the first act to have big mainstream success with NJS, although the sound began around 1984 or 85, but it didn't have a name yet. It was just on R&B radio at first. Quincy's albums under his own name were generally considered jazz and were in the jazz section in the average record stores. Other than a few acts like George Benson, Al Jareau, & Kenny G jazz performers didn't get much radio airplay, especially on Top 40. After the succes of Bobby's album Don't Be Cruel, and others like Al B. Sure, Guy, & Keith Sweat. even veteran acts jumped on the New Jack wagon. It was all over R&B radio in the late 1980s and early 1990s and pop too. People put out NJS remixes if their song wasn't.

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

Default Re: George Martin

Quote Originally Posted by DuranDuran View Post
    The Beatles & George Martin did more albums together than Mike & Quincy. They only did 3 albums, (4 if you count The Wiz soundtrack) how is that prolific? George Martin also produced a couple of Paul's solo albums. Quincy did more albums with The Brothers Johnson than with Mike
    I don't get it but I got it......

Prolific, meaning, in those 3 albums MIchael and Quincy collaborated on together, their music sold more album copies than any other collaboration in music history......that's what I mean by prolific...those are undisputed facts

I know today's narrative is trying to wash all that away, I get it......but that's one thing that can't be touched......

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

Default Re: New Jack Swing

Quote Originally Posted by DuranDuran View Post
    I'd guess that by the time Bad came out, Quincy's sound was on the way out. Around 1986 hip hop hit the mainstream in the US with Run DMC and then The Fat Boys, Beastie Boys, & LL Cool J. Hip hop started to influence R&B. New Jack Swing was the result. Bobby Brown was the first act to have big mainstream success with NJS, although the sound began around 1984 or 85, but it didn't have a name yet. It was just on R&B radio at first. Quincy's albums under his own name were generally considered jazz and were in the jazz section in the average record stores. Other than a few acts like George Benson, Al Jareau, & Kenny G jazz performers didn't get much radio airplay, especially on Top 40. After the succes of Bobby's album Don't Be Cruel, and others like Al B. Sure, Guy, & Keith Sweat. even veteran acts jumped on the New Jack wagon. It was all over R&B radio in the late 1980s and early 1990s and pop too. People put out NJS remixes if their song wasn't.

what I don't get, but I got, is how Quincy a man who was in his 50s then, and a producer to boot, is being compared to the activity of artists who the majority of the time gets more publicity......

and that's why the music industry is running on fumes today because the adult audience was being pushed out of the equation beginning in the late 80s as the industry solely looked to appeal to the young demographic exclusively.......huuuuuge mistake...as ageism practices has siphoned off the careers of people who had the talent to stand the test of time

that was not the case years before, even during Thriller, you had a great balance between new artists, young artists, older artists, and luminaries who shared billing and standing on the music charts.........that's how it should have remained.....matter of fact, that's why Thriller was able to achieve what it did because it wasn't just teenagers who bought that album...........without the support of the adult recording buying public who was buying that album for themselves and for their children, Thriller never would have become the greatest selling album of all time