Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 96
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks

Default Re: RS-IV:Quincy-jones-on-the-making-of-michael-jacksons-bad-

Quote Originally Posted by respect77 View Post
    The 80s albums are simply more fun, more light hearted thus more accessible to the general public, so it is understandable why they are more popular. It doesn't mean the 90s albums are weaker. In many ways I actually find them stronger. Staying with Quincy would have meant MJ had kept repeating himself. I think MJ had a good sense of realizing that their relationship started to become exhausted. And already on Bad re. these stories of "A Team" and "B Team" you can see MJ felt somewhat artistically limited by Quincy. And I think what they both had to offer after Bad proved MJ right. Just compare Dangerous to Quincy's Back on The Block or his production on Tevin Campbell's album. All that proves that Q's success in the 80s with MJ wasn't all down to Quincy - to put it politely.

Technically, I never had a problem with Michael working with another producer, but not because he was "limited" but because there was nothing else to prove, and no matter whoever else he worked with after Quincy Jones, and with today's ever declining musical standard, that collaboration between Michael Jackson and Quincy Jones/Quincy Jones and Michael Jackson is the best years of Michael's career, but the most prolific collaboration between any artist and any producer in the history of recorded music and nothing will ever change that.....

After making groundbreaking music, when the 90s hit, MIchael sought the most popular producer at the moment to work with, whether it was TEddy Riley, Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis, R. Kelly, Rodney Jerkins, Dr. Freeze, Bill Botrell....we can go down the line, anyone who was the most popular to help stamp his musical presentation......

by the time he collaborated with Riley, New Jack Swing had already been on the scene as early as late 1986, 5 years before the fact

and based on this latest interview by Quincy, he perfectly illustrates why the music industry is suffering, because nobody really knows how to truly produce records anymore, when it comes to full production, reading musical notes, the whole nine........everything has to be layered out or done digitally these days, plus the fact that culture has been appropriated and used up to the tilt, nothing stands out.......

and it's not like MJ continuously worked with Teddy Riley, he basically worked with him for one album, whereas with Quincy, he did 3 albums, back to back to back

as a fan of music, I'm not going to let narratives and agendas get in the way of how I feel about their collaboration now and in the future, exactly how I did when it actually happened in real time, it was if not the most joyous times I've ever had as a music fan and it will always be that way for me, and I'm thankful I have the memory I have to allow today's narrative to taint that....that can and will never be taken away

when it's all said and done, the best, most quintessential r&b album ever made was produced by Quincy Jones....and the greatest selling album of all time was produced by Quincy Jones.....nothing will ever change that......and when these achievements took place, he never ever took all the credit, or even tried to take all the credit for their success together...he always mentioned the word team and that a great album is the product of the works of many........

I'll leave this subject be because I know better...

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Bringing Brighter Days For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,864 Times in 9,315 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bringing Brighter Days View Post
    by the time he collaborated with Riley, New Jack Swing had already been on the scene as early as late 1986, 5 years before the fact
    Yet, Quincy Jones himself followed that trend. Haven't you heard his production for Tevin Campbell which was more generic and cliché NJS than anything on Dangerous? Same year as when Dangerous was released. LOL. Not to mention his Back on the Block album which aged horribly.

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

Yet, Quincy Jones himself followed that trend. Haven't you heard his production for Tevin Campbell which was more generic and cliché NJS than anything on Dangerous? Same year as when Dangerous was released. LOL. Not to mention his Back on the Block album which aged horribly.

Yeah, a revised production of the song he originally produced for the Brothers Johnson during the late 70s

Lollllll

Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,864 Times in 9,315 Posts

^ Sure this is the absolute same production. LMAO.

He revised it in the generic NJS style of the early 90s. I brought it up because you have thrown shade at MJ for using NJS five years after it was invended. So did Quincy - and a lot more generic and cliché version of it at that.

And BTW, it is very characteristic of Quincy to revise old hits he produced in the trendy style of an actual era. So it is not like it's only MJ who has been following current production trends. So did Quincy. And it's not like it's only MJ who used current producers, Quincy also used currently hip artists at any given era.

Case in point:

Last edited by respect77; 03-09-2017 at 05:08 PM.

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to respect77 For This Useful Post:

Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsTagger Second ClassVeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,499 Times in 3,727 Posts

I've seen many lists of the worst Grammy winners and Q's album Back on the Block is considered one of the worst Grammy winners but Quincy has many powerful friends in the industry. Michael has never been considered undeserving winner, actually criminally snubbed for BAD and Dangerous.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Snow White luvs Peter Pan For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 73
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,350 Times in 375 Posts

Michael achieved plenty after BAD, probably some of his very best work, and Quincy was nowhere near any of it.

Again I ask. What did Quincy achieve after BAD?

That Back On The Block album is a complete joke. Just compare it to Dangerous. It's laughable.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to SmoothMJ For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 157
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranThree Friends10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,338 Times in 919 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SmoothCriminal1995 View Post
    I get frustrated with Q of late, I have a lot of respect for him and his legendary musical ability but why does keep doggin' Mike every chance he gets. I can't remember the last time he mentioned how incredible Michael was a singer/songwriter or how brilliant he was in general in fact. Yet he seems to give everybody else love and respect. I do understand that from a producer's mindset giving the unsung hero's of the record some dues which is great but still come on.
    Quincy's statements in the recent court case were so telling to me in this regard. Quincy got agitated on the stand when the Jackson lawyers forced him to compare Michael's original demos with the finished tracks and he expressed that producers get blamed for failures while artists get credit for hits which shows very clearly to me that Quincy has harboured this grievance for a long time in respect of his work with Michael. I think Quincy worries that his legacy will be as Michael's producer and he feels strong insecurities as to what he actually brought to the table in this role.

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ChrisC For This Useful Post:

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

^ Sure this is the absolute same production. LMAO.

He revised it in the generic NJS style of the early 90s. I brought it up because you have thrown shade at MJ for using NJS five years after it was invended. So did Quincy - and a lot more generic and cliché version of it at that.

And BTW, it is very characteristic of Quincy to revise old hits he produced in the trendy style of an actual era. So it is not like it's only MJ who has been following current production trends. So did Quincy. And it's not like it's only MJ who used current producers, Quincy also used currently hip artists at any given era.

Case in point:

I didn't throw shade if it isn't true......

as far as Back On The Block, it was really a celebration of Quincy's career in the music field as he featured artists from all genres he either knew personally or had the opportunity to work with from jazz artists, soul artists, gospel artists, rap artists, and a prodigy such as Tevin Campbell

and Quincy revised former songs he already produced, not taking other people's songs and using it......

as mentioned earlier, after Bad, there wasn't anything left to prove and the handwriting was on the wall that MJ was going to work with someone else when sales did not meat his expectation......

he made accomplished music post Quincy Jones that extended from Dangerous to Invincible, a fan of music would not be fair to suggest other wise, songs like Break of Dawn, Will You Be There, Earth Song, Smile, You Are Not Alone, is some of the best work he ever did

but his most successful work and most memorable in the eyes of the public at large, with many of those people supporting the Jackson Five from day one, that work as an adult solo artist was done with Quincy.....even Teddy Riley and Rodney Jerkins know this, or even a Will I Am who alluded to it

the quintessential r&b/soul album, the greatest selling album ever, and the most anticipated follow up in music history, all produced by Quincy Jones...

and that's not throwing shade, those are facts...

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

Michael's demos proved where the bulk of the credit needs to go, for most of MJ's #1s. Quincy hates that, and has become bitter over time.

He's turned on Michael like the rest of them. Forget him.

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SmoothMJ For This Useful Post:

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

I didn't throw shade if it isn't true......

as far as Back On The Block, it was really a celebration of Quincy's career in the music field as he featured artists from all genres he either knew personally or had the opportunity to work with from jazz artists, soul artists, gospel artists, rap artists, and a prodigy such as Tevin Campbell

and Quincy revised former songs he already produced, not taking other people's songs and using it......

as mentioned earlier, after Bad, there wasn't anything left to prove and the handwriting was on the wall that MJ was going to work with someone else when sales did not meat his expectation......

he made accomplished music post Quincy Jones that extended from Dangerous to Invincible, a fan of music would not be fair to suggest other wise, songs like Break of Dawn, Will You Be There, Earth Song, Smile, You Are Not Alone, is some of the best work he ever did

but his most successful work and most memorable in the eyes of the public at large, with many of those people supporting the Jackson Five from day one, that work as an adult solo artist was done with Quincy.....even Teddy Riley and Rodney Jerkins know this, or even a Will I Am who alluded to it

the quintessential r&b/soul album, the greatest selling album ever, and the most anticipated follow up in music history, all produced by Quincy Jones...

and that's not throwing shade, those are facts...
    And it's "facts" that Quincy has done nothing of note, without Michael, since. Whereas it's "facts" that Michael did without him.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to SmoothMJ For This Useful Post:

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SmoothMJ View Post
    And it's "facts" that Quincy has done nothing of note, without Michael, since. Whereas it's "facts" that Michael did without him.
    And fact is Quincy Jones did plenty and later today, I will post all that activity

Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsTagger Second ClassVeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,499 Times in 3,727 Posts

I don't think musically his projects were that successful after BAD.Back on the block may have been awarded but it's not acclaimed critically and I don't count The Fresh Prince of Bel-air because that's television.

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

And fact is Quincy Jones did plenty and later today, I will post all that activity
    Quincy did plenty. Just none of it any good.

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SmoothMJ For This Useful Post:

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

How many did Back on the block sell, compared to Dangerous or History? That album pales in comparison.

Achievements:
    Three FriendsTagger First ClassVeteranOverdrive50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,194 Times in 744 Posts

Default George Martin

that collaboration between Michael Jackson and Quincy Jones/Quincy Jones and Michael Jackson is the best years of Michael's career, but the most prolific collaboration between any artist and any producer in the history of recorded music and nothing will ever change that.....
    The Beatles & George Martin did more albums together than Mike & Quincy. They only did 3 albums, (4 if you count The Wiz soundtrack) how is that prolific? George Martin also produced a couple of Paul's solo albums. Quincy did more albums with The Brothers Johnson than with Mike

24. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DuranDuran For This Useful Post: