Michael Jackson's Impact in the Modern World

Dan

Proud Member
Hey guys, so I was in class today. I study Film & TV and today we were analyzing music videos as a class. We were analyzing lots of very new and very popular videos and some vintage and popular videos like 'Queen' but when Man In The Mirror came on everyone stopped and it was the only song and video that the entire class sang along to out loud as if we were at a concert and it was at that moment that it truly sank in how proud and honored I am to be a Moonwalker. After the video was done everybody commented the same thing about the video and the song, they said "It's still so relevant". Michael Jackson changed the world forever and nothing is ever going put it back.

Additional: We are all only 18 years old and in the UK. Meaning we are not apart of the american history that Michael was apart of, but it still reached us and touched us like nothing else because of how global he is and we are not even apart of that generation but yet he still keeps changing the world and affecting people.

Do you have a moment like this in your life?

It just happened today. Our school band played some MJ songs and everybody sang along, even young kids.

I was pleasantly surpised that they also played Whatever happens.

I don't know if this is what you're looking for, but it happened to me maybe four years ago. First though, a little background...

I was thirteen years old in 1993, when the first molestation allegations were made against Michael. I grew up in a very legalistic home, where non-gospel music was rarely allowed inside the house. This was only worsened by the kinds of churches I found myself in; many assumed Michael had to be guilty because of the settlement...and in their minds, that was the end of it. As a result, headphones became my main accessory when listening to Michael's music in public; I was tired of people implying he was a monster, or that i was a freak for wanting to believe he was innocent.

Well, I started attending a new church in 2008, which encouraged music beyond the standard hymns to be done by the worship band. My pastor was a fan of blues music and the band U2, which pleased and surprised me. But nothing prepared me for one evening service around 2013, when a very familiar tune met my ears. Unable to help myself, I smiled and thought "no way". Sure enough, the worship leader began with the following lyrics - "I'm gonna make a change, for once in my life..."

Well, that really set me free...emotionally and spiritually. I was able to release a lot of the bitterness I felt toward previous churches and people, who openly condemned both Michael and me. After the service, I approached the pastor to thank him for doing "Man in the Mirror". He said he selected it not because of Michael, but rather the song's message. All the same, I told him how grateful I was, and how it had impacted me. It still remains one of my favorite music-related memories, from recent years.

People take for granted his impact in modern society.. It goes far outside of music!

Obviously music videos in their current form owe a huge credit to MJ, I don't think that can be disputed.

Thriller still being the most commercially successful album of all time also is a big factor in people finding out about Michael - he is, as I suspect he wanted to be, History. It doesn't take long after listening to the Thriller and then Bad singles, and so on and so forth to become a huge fan of the man, at least as an artist, if not a person (which tends to happen in short order as you realize how charitable and kind he was). MJ is also incredibly accessible, and that's a big factor in his continuing popularity as well. It doesn't take much to find Thriller or Beat It and start listening. You know where to start, and you never have to end, really.

Reactions: Dan
As a fellow UK MJ fan I am so glad that he is actively being used in class to provide education today. I have been an MJ fan for 35 years and that song is 1. still my favourite song of all time and 2. a song that moved me profoundly as a child when I first heard it. It really spoke to me and I have always try to live life to its teachings.

That is why Michael legacy will never die. The music and the message in his songs will live in us forever. You are always going to hear Man In The Mirror, Heal The World, Earth Song all of these songs are about the world today Michael message was it time for us to make that change and to be that Man In The Mirror and i want to be that Man In The Mirror and make that change. Like it was mention Michael has make a change in this world it will never be the same i agree with that it will never be the same. Michael will never be forgot.

Michael Jackson's music is timeless. It never feels like I'm listening to an outdated record. Never. Several of today's artists were influenced by MJ in some way shape or form. He'll Always will be an artist that transcends generations/race/gender. Everyone felt the presence of MJs music. When he died, the world stopped.

Back