Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Michael Jackson Art Exhibition, Summer 2018 in London

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsCreated Blog entryTagger Second ClassVeteranOverdrive

His last Photo Shoot. (Attending With Sonny)
    Level
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,023 Times in 969 Posts

Default Re: Michael Jackson Art Exhibition, Summer 2018 in London

Michael was all about art in every form. i think he would have liked this. Nice thread

.My SuperMoon and SuperSun.
    Also Avīci
    R.I.P. Jahseh Dwayne Ricardo Onfroy

2. The Following User Says Thank You to wendijane For This Useful Post:

Overall activity: 30.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,546 Times in 1,499 Posts

I hope I can go. London is not a long flight from Denmark. So hopefully my girlfriend and son will join me on a trip to London.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/Ahess/videos - me dancing MJ - many years ago.

I would be really glad if you rated or/and commented the videos. Thanks

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Hess For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 11%, Points required for next Level: 178
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks

Wow, I have to see this!! I love David LaChapelle!! His artwork is awesome! (Michael AND the rest ) Nate Giorgio would be awesome, too. But he wasn't mentioned so far I think.
    I've read somewhere that the exhibition will come to Germany (Bonn) and I think Finland. I'll try and see if I can find the source.

*edit* here it is: http://www.artfixdaily.com/artwire/r...don-exhibition

Touring to The Grand Palais, Paris (November 2018 to February 2019), The Bundeskunsthalle, Bonn (March to July 2019) and Espoo Museum of Modern Art, Finland (August to November 2019).
    Music, in the precision of its form and the mathematical tyranny of its laws, escapes into an eternity of abstraction and an absurd sublime that is everywhere and nowhere at once.
    - Stephen Fry

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to maja For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 27%, Points required for next Level: 73
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered1000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks

Would so love to see this, but I doubt it will come to the U.S. The other side of the pond gets all the good stuff!!!

Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 92
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks

David LaChapelle also did this amazing video for the Queen/Michael Jackson song There Must Be More To Life Than This. I think it was rejected by the Estate, or something, because it never got a proper release. It's awesome though.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Piek For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 114
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Three Friends5000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,275 Times in 1,246 Posts

Your right, they do. We probably won't get it in Canada either. **Pouts**
    I'd love to see this. Hopefully someone will take pics so we can see it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Culture changes, fashion change, customs change, great music is immortal." - MJ

11. The Following User Says Thank You to SarahJ For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 73%, Points required for next Level: 55
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks

Great stuff. Being able to see the Warhol piece is big enough in itself. It's iconic.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to MJRemixed For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 91%, Points required for next Level: 48
    Achievements:
    Three Friends10000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,765 Times in 971 Posts

Would love to see this, but I'm not in the UK or anywhere near Europe.
    Here for Michael. Only.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Rhilo For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 43
    Achievements:
    3 months registered500 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks

i hope i could go ,much too far from london

Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 534
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,714 Times in 1,338 Posts

Kehinde Wiley talks politics, painting and portraying Michael Jackson as he unveils new works in London

http://theartnewspaper.com/blog/kehi...-london​

The discovery that they had been born just a day apart got yesterday’s in-conversation between the near-twins Kehinde Wiley and the National Portrait Gallery’s director Nicholas Cullinan off to a flying start. What then followed was an illuminating and animated exchange with Wiley ranging across art history as well as the current political situation both in the UK and the US: “it’s as if we all had decided to commit suicide in the face of complexity.” He is also discussed what he describes as “the radical contingency” of his working methods, which often involve inviting young black men and women spontaneously spotted on city streets to be portrayed in an art historical pose of their choice.

The New York and Beijing-based artist Wiley also talked about his stunning new series of maritime paintings, unveiled yesterday (23 November) at Stephen Friedman Gallery. These nine images of men battling stormy seas and standing contemplatively at the shoreline reboot the works of Turner, Winslow Homer, and Hieronymus Bosch to tap into the vexed history of “black bodies and bodies of water”. The show also includes Wiley’s first three-channel film, Narrenschiff (Ship of Fools) in which he grapples with the hefty themes of migration, madness and colonisation by pairing dramatic images of figures submerged in water with readings from Michel Foucault and Frantz Fanon. “I think I took on a lot for this show,” he admitted.

Although a confidentiality agreement prevents Wiley from discussing his recent commission to paint Barack Obama, he was happy to talk about his 2008 portrait of Michael Jackson, which was the last commissioned image of the star. The painting, which presents an armour-clad Jackson on a rearing steed in the manner of Rubens’ 17th-century portrait of Philip II, will form the grand finale of the show Michael Jackson: On the Wall when it opens at the National Portrait Gallery in June 2018.

Wiley paid particular tribute to Jackson’s “own deep personal understanding of painting” and revealed that the musician—who apparently owned a library of more than 10,000 art books—had engaged him in lengthy conversations about the “different brush strokes in early and late [paintings by] Rubens and the viscosity of paint—we talked about my studio practice on a granular level”. To Cullinan’s delicate enquiry as to which period in Jackson’s evolving physiognomy he had chosen to portray, Wiley diplomatically replied that such commissioned portraits create “an idealised version of who we are in the world—it's a high wire act, dealing with someone who was very loved”. However, he also confessed to a little artistic licence, cheekily adding, “skintone-wise, I gave him a little cocoa!”

Overall activity: 99.3%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,108 Times in 3,218 Posts

http://www.theweek.co.uk/90608/13-mu...itions-in-2018
    National Portrait Gallery, London

Michael Jackson: On the Wall

28 June 2018 – 21 October 2018

Coinciding with what would have been his 60th birthday next summer is the National Portrait Gallery's unique exhibition exploring the "untold story" of Michael Jackson's influence on the art world. On the Wall brings together the work of more than 40 artists who have, at some point, used the King of Pop as muse, including Andy Warhol – who painted Jackson in his signature Pop Art-style for a 1984 Time magazine cover – David LaChapelle and Grayson Perry.

Tickets from £15.50; npg.org.uk

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Paris78 For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 197
    Overall activity: 99.4%
    Achievements:
    1 year registeredThree FriendsOverdriveTagger Second Class5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,291 Times in 617 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Piek View Post
    David LaChapelle also did this amazing video for the Queen/Michael Jackson song There Must Be More To Life Than This.

Thank you for sharing this....I've not seen it before today.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Mikky Dee For This Useful Post:

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

Hugo Boss has been confirmed as the title sponsor of the National Portrait Gallery’s upcoming Michael Jackson exhibition in June, which will feature the singer’s influence over fashion, music, dance and contemporary art.

To celebrate the sponsorship, Hugo Boss will design selected pieces inspired by the Michael Jackson: On The Wall exhibition from its luxury men’s line, Boss Collection, with further details expected closer to the opening.

The exhibition curated by National Portrait Gallery director Nicholas Cullinan, will run from June 28 to October 21, and will bring together the works of over 40 artists, drawn from public and private collections around the world, including new works made especially for the occasion.

It will ask why so many contemporary artists have been drawn to Michael Jackson as a subject, but also why he continues to loom so large in our collective cultural imagination, alongside work from Rita Ackerman, Dara Birnbaum, Candice Breitz, Mark Flood, Isa Genzken, Gary Hume, David LaChapelle, Paul McCarthy, Catherine Opie, and Andy Warhol.

Michael Jackson: On the Wall opens at the National Portrait Gallery in London on June 28.

23. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Paris78 For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 197
    Overall activity: 99.4%
    Achievements:
    1 year registeredThree FriendsOverdriveTagger Second Class5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,291 Times in 617 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Paris78 View Post

Hugo Boss has been confirmed as the title sponsor of the National Portrait Gallery’s upcoming Michael Jackson exhibition in June, which will feature the singer’s influence over fashion, music, dance and contemporary art.

To celebrate the sponsorship, Hugo Boss will design selected pieces inspired by the Michael Jackson: On The Wall exhibition from its luxury men’s line, Boss Collection, with further details expected closer to the opening.

The exhibition curated by National Portrait Gallery director Nicholas Cullinan, will run from June 28 to October 21, and will bring together the works of over 40 artists, drawn from public and private collections around the world, including new works made especially for the occasion.

It will ask why so many contemporary artists have been drawn to Michael Jackson as a subject, but also why he continues to loom so large in our collective cultural imagination, alongside work from Rita Ackerman, Dara Birnbaum, Candice Breitz, Mark Flood, Isa Genzken, Gary Hume, David LaChapelle, Paul McCarthy, Catherine Opie, and Andy Warhol.

Michael Jackson: On the Wall opens at the National Portrait Gallery in London on June 28.
    This is so exciting and such a wonderful and unique tribute to Michael, in the form of something that he loved - ART!
    I only wish that I lived close enough to go and see this exhibition in London.

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

Can Michael Jackson Turn the Tide for London’s National Portrait Gallery? Hopes Are Pinned on a Blockbuster
    https://news.artnet.com/exhibitions/...allery-1271567

The show may boost attendance and income for a museum facing testing times—but Jeff Koons's sculpture of the singer with Bubbles the chimp will be a notable absence.

London’s National Portrait Gallery is already selling advance tickets for its summer blockbuster show, which examines Michael Jackson’s influence on contemporary art. The hope is that Jackson’s star power will be enough to bring in crowds—and much-needed ticket revenue—for an institution that is experiencing testing times.

But when the show opens to eager audiences on June 28, one of the most iconic works inspired by Michael Jackson will be notably absent, artnet News has learned. The NPG has been unable to secure the loan of Jeff Koons’s gilded porcelain sculpture Michael Jackson and Bubbles (1988), despite the artist’s wish that it be included.

Last week, the Evening Standard newspaper reported that 24 members of gallery’s staff had taken voluntary buyouts. The figure represents a significant reduction for the relatively small UK national museum, which employed a total of 337 people as of March 2017.

The gallery “has completed a round of both voluntary exit and voluntary redundancy to streamline our core costs and ensure we are in the best possible shape for the future,” a spokeswoman told artnet News in a statement. She declined to specify which posts had been axed or whether any of the eliminated positions were senior or curatorial roles.

The high-profile show “Michael Jackson: On the Wall,” organized by the gallery’s director Nicholas Cullinan with the cooperation of the musician’s estate, will bring together work by 40 artists including Andy Warhol, David Hammons, Paul McCarthy, Isa Genzken, Kehinde Wiley, and Jordan Wolfson.

Since Andy Warhol portrayed him in 1982, the King of Pop has become “the most depicted cultural figure in visual art,” according to the NPG. After its debut in London, the show is due to travel to the Grand Palais in Paris, as well as to Bonn and Helsinki.

A spokeswoman for the NPG says curators tried to borrow one of the four editions of the work, but “they were either already committed for display or deemed too fragile to travel.” The four versions belong to the the Broad in Los Angeles, the San Francisco Museum of Modern Art, the Astrup Fearnley Museum of Modern Art in Oslo, and the Dakis Joannou Collection in Athens.

The show couldn’t arrive soon enough—it opens during Cullinan’s most challenging period as director to date. The former senior curator at New York’s Metropolitan Museum of Art and London’s Tate Modern took the helm of the NPG in 2015. In addition to the recent staff reduction, the gallery’s decision to close to the public for the first time in its 162-year history to host a fashion show provoked debate. (Some said it was a necessary fundraising initiative.)

The museum is also battling a dip in attendance. From a high of more than two million visitors in 2015, attendance fell to around 1.27 million last year—a dip of more than 35 percent. Trustees likely hope that the Michael Jackson show, coupled with an exhibition of Cindy Sherman’s work scheduled for 2019, will help turn the tide. (The NPG was not the only UK museum to report a drop in attendance last year, but its reduction was more extreme than its peers.)

During this period, the museum has also mounted a number of critically acclaimed shows, including an exhibition pairing the work of Surrealist French photographer Claude Cahun and contemporary British artist Gillian Wearing. Meanwhile, its ambitious exhibition of Cézanne’s portraits drew 136,000 visitors and is currently on view at the National Gallery of Art in Washington, DC.

Meanwhile, the NPG’s planned £35.5 million (around $50 million) upgrade, which includes an expanded entrance, temporary exhibition spaces, and a complete reinterpretation of the permanent collection, is going ahead, the spokeswoman confirmed. “The approach and exterior of the building constrains footfall and falls short of many expectations of a modern gallery entrance,” the NPG’s latest business plan states. Due to be completed in 2023, the project will be designed by Jamie Fobert.

The clock is ticking—a major fundraising deadline is only a year away. According to minutes from recent board meetings, the trustees have set a deadline of March 2019 to raise most of the money. The NPG is currently weighing whether or not to accept a controversial pledge of £1 million ($1.4 million) from the Sackler Trust to support the project. It has already secured major funding from the Heritage Lottery Fund for around £9 million ($12.55 million). A key aim of the initiative, called “Inspiring People,” is to boost the gallery’s attendance to a record 2.5 million.

In the meantime, the King of Pop will be on hand to help.

“Michael Jackson: On the Wall” runs from June 28 through October 21 at the National Portrait Gallery, London.