Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 400
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsCreated Album picturesVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,796 Times in 1,026 Posts

Default Re: Changing skin colour

Tess66 you are right in your post this is why the black race felt that Michael didn't want to be black anymore that he want to be white that he turn his back on the black race and that is not true. To me Michael was force to say why his skin had change that was wrong it should have remain private Like Tess66 said if Michael was a white man and went out there got a tan as dark as he can get it to become black no questions would have been asked but he had to come out and tell the world that he had a skin disease but i really think he wanted the black race to know that he was still black and proud to be black it was sad that he had to do that.

Another Part Of Me Michael You Will Always Be In My Heart.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to #MJforever57 For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 14
    Overall activity: 56.0%
    Achievements:
    7 days registered250 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks

It's a hard one really as I do understand that he could have saved himself a lot of bad publicity by just coming out and saying he had vitiligo but I also agree that it's not necessary for him to share all of his medical conditions with the world. However having read through the comments it would have been beneficial for him to do so as he wouldn't have had people saying that he was bleaching his skin to become white as he didn't want to be black (I don't believe this). Although again another comment that was made was that Michael used to taunt the press and put crazy stories out there like he slept in an oxygen chamber and that he wanted to buy the Elephant mans bones. He used the press to his advantage to get his name out there but then felt that they had destroyed his character with all the lies they told. I suppose its hard being famous as you want to stay current and be in the public eye but yet when the S*** hits the fan and bad publicity comes out that causes you to lose fans it must be awful to live with.

Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 76
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Themidwestcowboy View Post
    Michael was black. Stop that nonsense
    I am 100% aware of his ethnicity, his sexuality and his sex. My point was that Michael is an enigma, completely separate and polls apart from any person or entertainer living or dead. It didn't matter to him, it was trivial. And it didn't matter to me as a fan. It was the reason i was a fan.

To Michael, none of that stuff was important. He didn't want to discuss or enter in to conversation about it. The way he saw it was to give his music, video, live performance etc to the world. The rest of it was private and unimportant.

As i said, my comments were written with so much respect for Michael as a person. I know he was black and proud to be black... He wasn't interested in addressing the media nonsense. And i am super proud that he made that stand.
    With the L.O.V.E

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,088 Times in 1,202 Posts

Michael didnt say anything bout the vitiligo cause #1: It was humliating for him
    #2 cuz most of all it was none of no ones business!!!!!!!!!!!!! If michael didnt wanna say anything he had a right not to, his life his damn choice!

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 8701girl For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 133
    Overall activity: 85.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,503 Times in 1,637 Posts

Well most what people said here is right.. MJ being bigger and more attention to it.. But honestly Latoyas skin tone has not changed much over the years.. She often pancakes that makeup making her skin look lighter but her natural tone is has always been light..

It is more so her makeup that makes her lighter.. not her actual skin changing!
    **He lives forever within us**

8. The Following User Says Thank You to KOPV For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 48%, Points required for next Level: 79
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 8701girl View Post
    Michael didnt say anything bout the vitiligo cause #1: It was humliating for him
    #2 cuz most of all it was none of no ones business!!!!!!!!!!!!! If michael didnt wanna say anything he had a right not to, his life his damn choice!
    Strictly speaking, you're right - it was Michael's business and no one else's. But when you're an entertainer, who's constantly in the public eye, and your skin keeps getting noticeably lighter to the point of almost porcelain...keeping your audience in the dark is not a good idea. Entertainment is a highly visual art form, even for a musician or a sports figure. As such, the public wanted (and some might say deserved) some kind of explanation. It wasn't just about rumors, either - I think a lot of true fans were simply concerned about Michael's health. Vitiligo was virtually unknown at the time, so a lot of folks probably thought MJ was extremely sick...and the multiple surgeries only fueled the rumors. You can't have it both ways, when you're in a business that keeps you exposed 90% of every day. I honestly think more would have understood and been kinder to Michael, if he'd revealed his condition when it first started.

Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 900
    Overall activity: 56.0%
    Achievements:
    Three Friends10000 Experience PointsVeteranTagger First Class

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,078 Times in 1,573 Posts

^^I mean yeah come on Michael was a very bright and sharp guy. If he thought that not expounding about this would not have its repercussion than he was very naive. Yes, in an ideal world Artist should be recognized for their talent and their music (although Entertainment is a very visual art form) and what not but sadly the world doesn't work like that. Michael had the perfect platform to talk about that in his autobiography, he felt the need to adress his plastic surgeries but not a condition that made it look (to the rest of the world) that he was trying to change the complexion of his skin?

This was his natural complexion

and this was how it looked when he finally adressed it in 93

As I said before, I love Micheal but I do think that there is some room for criticism on this particular subject.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Themidwestcowboy For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 71
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Level
    Thanks

Default Changing skin colour

I don’t know why some people think had Michael spoken about vitiligo (earlier), it would change anything to the situation.

Firstly, it’s his business. Let the man have some privacy.

Secondly, call me pessimistic or whatever (which I don’t think I am), but I don’t think he would be less perceived as a “*****” or “weird” by some people if he did say he had said he has vitiligo earlier.

I remember stories about regular people who have vitiligo, from nowadays and 15+ years ago, who have never concealed the fact about having vitiligo. And, basically, they had/ have been treated like they should be in quarantine by some people (being made fun of, people blatantly staying away from them, people wouldn’t touch what they touch, etc.).

I don’t think a celebrity would have a much better experience with vitiligo than these people, considering that the celebrity is more exposed to the public eye.

Not to mention that, by 1985 (and maybe some years earlier), Michael was already perceived as a “weirdo” by some people (tabloids, but not only them). And his skin was still (fully) black.

I remember showing to a girl, in class, a photo of Michael where vitiligo is quite noticeable :

While acknowledging the vitiligo, her reaction was not compassionate at all : “yuk”. Note that the girl was not some ignorant teen : she was in her twenties.

Some people can be unnecessary judgmental jerks, sometimes.

Thankfully, not everyone is a judgemental, which leads me to the third point :

In spite of that, Michael was/is still one of the most popular and most loved persons ever.

Every time Michael made an appearance, whether it was at a concert, at a TV show or in the streets, people WANTED to be near him, to tell him how much they LOVED him. Some even wanted to hug him. Everywhere, on every continent, Africa and America included.
    https://youtu.be/8pshi2nWlv0

https://youtu.be/AoupR2HUQJo

https://youtu.be/mvgTmgHwkSc

https://youtu.be/UeFUvW5YInQ

Not even Madonna has been so revered.

So, to me, the situation would not have changed much, imo. Some people would still find any reason to not like Michael, others would still love him.
    Last edited by Miel; 05-10-2017 at 11:53 AM.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Miel For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 400
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsCreated Album picturesVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,796 Times in 1,026 Posts

Thanks you for the videos i love them it only show it didn't matter the color of Michael skin ppls still want to see him and their love him.

Another Part Of Me Michael You Will Always Be In My Heart.

Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 16
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    250 Experience Points31 days registered
    Level
    Thanks

It's very easy to look at things in hindsight. Truth is, we can only deal with life as it happens.

I don't know why I'm seeing so many of these kinds of threads pop up. Where's the joy? Where's the music? That's the legacy that Michael wanted dissected long after he left. That's how he immortalised himself. Not through the private life that he worked hard to protect.

Of course Michael made mistakes, like every last one of us. No one can understand the situations he faced but him. It's sad that some look down on him with almost a sense of arrogance as they tell him how his life really was, and how he should have lived it - even though they've most likely never met him, or spoke in depth with him.

I wonder if they put as much focus on their own lives as they do psychoanalysing Michael's?

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Michael's Essence For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 133
    Overall activity: 85.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,503 Times in 1,637 Posts

Michael speaking about it in the 80's would have prevented at least a decent percent of trash talk.. simply because they would not be left to come up with a reason themselves.

Lets not forget that in that time skin lightning cream was getting promoted a lot more than it is now it the black community (and others) people buy creams and use remedies to lighten the skin.. It is not promoted like it was than simply because people today are more willing to embrace who they are..

You combine that with how little was known about vitiligo at the time, of course people would wonder and assume he's changing his skin to fit in to what american pop culture would accept at the time.. It all "made sense" to come to that conclusion.. The biggest pop start turning light, his nose changes, and a dominant feature that was advertised for white hero (a cleft) was put into his chin.. All this happening when not many people knew about vitiligo..

side note Jermaine song didn't help either!
    **He lives forever within us**

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KOPV For This Useful Post:

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks

I think this is another part of Michael's legacy, helping people with the same conditions as himself to be more open with them. Imagine how many more would've come forward, had he been forthright from the beginning. Those determined to hurl slurs would do it anyway...but the truth has a way of limiting their opportunities to spread lies. One of the many reasons so many rumors persisted about Michael, is because he rarely addressed any of them head-on from the start. By the time he spoke up, the rumors were all most knew about him.

Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 16
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    250 Experience Points31 days registered
    Level
    Thanks

It was clearly a very difficult thing for him to come to terms with. I don't think he even planned to discuss it in the Oprah interview. She had to practically drag it out of him.

By the way, I'm black, and I never felt as though Michael owed me anything. I never held him up to a 'black standard', and I accepted him for who he was. I just cared about his health. Let's face it, he knew more about that than me or anyone else. He made it clear that he would not go into his medical history, and I respected that. It's a shame that some fans don't. I doubt that Michael would be happy about pictures highlighting the disease that he worked so hard to conceal, circulating the web. No matter how good the intentions are.

He shared what he wanted to, and wasn't obligated to do any more than that. We are not entitled to Michael's life just because we enjoy his music. Not now, not ever.

I don't see how constantly obsessing over the drama does any good. It's not like he can come back and redo it all over again I'm just seeing a lot of judgement.

21. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Michael's Essence For This Useful Post:

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks

My broader point in my earlier statement, was that to a certain extent, celebrities forfeit their right to privacy as a result of their career choice. Michael had the perfect right to share or withhold whatever he wanted...but those choices cost him dearly because his profession kept him visible. I've said this to many people, about many different subjects: "When you're not told the truth, all you have to fall back on is your assumptions." During the early '80s (when Michael said his vitiligo started), there were a ton of diseases showing up that people knew nothing about...and had virtually no control over. Education is the antidote to ignorance, which is the root of most rumors. If you want people to stop guessing, give them the facts - its that simple. But it has to be done early, before speculation becomes the norm. As much as I love Michael and his music, I think he waited far too long, to reveal his condition.

Level completed: 48%, Points required for next Level: 52
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered

Level
    Thanks

I don't think MJ received the right PR advice in the 80s and 90s, if he received any at all. Perhaps he just ignored it. Anyway there is no doubt in my mind that if MJ had explained the issues with his skin condition in the 80s he would have been treated more fairly by the press. Right up until he died the press would say he bleached his skin. People made fun of his skin.
    If people are aware that there is a genuine medical condition then they are much less likely to ridicule the afflicted person - it is most definitely not cool to take the piss out of a person for a medical condition or disability. Of course here will always be trolls who will do or say anything for attention but in general people are understanding.

MJ should have stood up, admitted his troubles and become an advocate for Vitiligo. He could have become spokesperson for Vitiligo-related organisations, or at least a patron for them. He had his chance to influence public opinion, advance medical treatment through the increase exposure to the condition and potentially help many, many people around the world. Sadly he allowed himself and the condition to become a joke. His denial about the number and type of surgeries he had also didn't help his credibility.

Yes it was a private problem, but people respect celebrities more for being open and honest.

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MJTruth For This Useful Post: