Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 137
    Overall activity: 33.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thanks

Default Re: Changing skin colour

Quote Originally Posted by Moviefan2k4 View Post
    I agree with Tess66, in that Michael's skin color changed very quickly in the five years between Thriller and Bad. To the average person, who didn't stay informed about celebrities, it appeared instantaneous. I think that's what started the bulk of the rumors, and Michael's refusal to address it just fueled the fire. His interview with Oprah didn't occur until he'd already spent 11 years, wrestling with vitiligo. The glove he wore on Motown 25 remains stained by brown makeup on the inside, to this day...probably because Michael hastily added the glove before going on stage that night.
    Michael wore the gloves in the Triumph Tour 81. It's new for the no-fans.

Level completed: 12%, Points required for next Level: 44
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    250 Experience Points31 days registered

Level
    Thanks

Miel thank you so much for the fabulous you tube links. x

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Cats-whiskas For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 133
    Overall activity: 85.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,503 Times in 1,637 Posts

about Michaels PR in the 80's.. at the time, it worked.. peoples curiosity of the "oddities of Michael Jackson" wih his larger than life entertainmen factor.. More people tuned in, more people flocked to see him, and more peopl bough into this MICHAEL JACKSON image... It was the "How is someone so dfferent yet so great?" thing.. fast foward to 1993 and the allegations and it was the false "ah'ha moment", "Now I get it, the reason he's so "off" is because he's a creeper"..

The PR in te 80's was great but too risky.. it left him too vonverable and an open target!
    **He lives forever within us**

5. The Following User Says Thank You to KOPV For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 324
    Overall activity: 99.7%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsTagger First ClassVeteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,452 Times in 577 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 1nn5 View Post
    Michael wore the gloves in the Triumph Tour 81. It's new for the no-fans.
    he wore the glove on the 79 Destiny Tour also

Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 137
    Overall activity: 33.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hulkamaniac View Post
    he wore the glove on the 79 Destiny Tour also
    yeah people link this to the Vitiligo and think it's (Motown 25) the first time he wore them . I don't think wore it for Vitiligo, in Moonwalk he exlpained the reason.

Level completed: 48%, Points required for next Level: 79
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks

My point about mentioning the glove, is that there's no sense wearing makeup on your hand, if you're already going to cover it with a glove instead. Regardless of when he started wearing it, my original claim about the Motown 25 glove being stained with dark makeup still remains. The only reason I can think of that Michael would've worn dark makeup on his hands back then, was to cover the vitiligo.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Moviefan2k4 For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 7%, Points required for next Level: 372
    Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,737 Times in 580 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Themidwestcowboy View Post
    What I don't understand is that Michael wrote and released an autobiography in 88 discussing his plastic surgeries but couldn't talk about how his skin disease made his complexion light like a caucasian man? I love Mike and it's easy to talk like this in retrospect but honestly where was his team?? They should have adivsed him to say something, there is no way that could turn into anything else than a PR nightmare. Maybe they did but he didn't listen. Maybe, just maybe he liked the ambiguity and the mystery of it all during that time I don't know. He should have said something
    I think Michael liked the controversy because it played into his idea of any publicity is good publicity. It made him more mysterious. I don't think he listened to anybody much. He did what he wanted and from what I understand he was very stubborn. Let's face it, Michael loved and lived off the media coverage of him whether good or bad. I really think he planted some weird stories about himself just so he would get publicity. Of course in the end it backfired.

In retrospect, he should have come out and told the world about his condition. It would have helped so many people. And a great idea would have been to start a vitiligo foundation under his name to raise fund for research.

Michael was like no other in so many areas. Wonderfully talented but wonderfully flawed. A total enigma.
    You are FOREVER MICHAEL - WE ARE FOREVER

Xscape 2014

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tricia70 For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 70
    Overall activity: 79.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,257 Times in 465 Posts

IMO MJ simply wanted to keep certain things private. Could he have come out and said "I have vitiligo" in the mid 80s? Sure. I doubt he wanted the tabloids saying he bleached his skin either. It was his business, and nobody else's.

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteranOverdrive50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,743 Times in 2,909 Posts

Shame some of u all dont blame the media for all their lies that brainwashed millions as much as you critizie mj. And you wonder why he never opened up about it .

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to elusive moonwalker For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 208
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsTagger Second ClassVeteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by knigofpop View Post
    To Michael, none of that stuff was important. He didn't want to discuss or enter in to conversation about it. The way he saw it was to give his music, video, live performance etc to the world. The rest of it was private and unimportant.
    Exactly this.

Michael's medical history is/was none of our business.
    Fame is a difficult thing. When you and I do our jobs all our clients care about is that we do our job well. Not what we look like, who we went out with last night or what we ate. But when you're a celebrity, people suddenly want to know every little detail about your life, including things that are and should remain very private. Michael had a hard time understanding that because to him, those things were not important.
    Last edited by Dutchie; 08-10-2017 at 07:04 AM. Reason: Spelling error

I am here, 'cause you were there.

16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Dutchie For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 16
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks

Was there any concrete evidence that Michael himself planted those stories about the oxygen chamber and the elephant man's bones, aside from that one book that I refuse to mention? Why would he do that, then get upset with people giving him the reaction he sought out in the first place? It doesn't add up.

I support Michael's statement in the Ebony interview in '87. Responding to such stories only dignifies them. Besides, that would be a full time job itself with the amount that Michael had to deal with! He was more focused on the overall plan of creating a lasting artistic legacy

'Leave Me Alone' was the perfect way to throw it back their faces and laugh at them.

Also, let's not forget that there were tabloid lies written about him before '86. I saw a report when he was a child that claimed he was a castro! They said he was having gender reassignment, and planned to marry Clifton Davis (the writer of 'Never Can Say Goodbye') when he was a teenager. That he was taking hormones to make his voice high during 'Off The Wall'. People were already talking about his surgery in '83 (my favourite year or him )

They've always been there.

It think some of you are being unfair with your expectations of not only Michael, but entertainers in general. How can one person embody the hopes and dreams of billions of people they don't even know? We may not agree with all the choices that Michael made, but we should respect the fact that it was his life, and he had the right the live it the way that he chose to.

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Michael's Essence For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 641
    Overall activity: 35.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger First Class10000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,599 Times in 1,261 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Michael's Essence View Post
    Was there any concrete evidence that Michael himself planted those stories about the oxygen chamber and the elephant man's bones, aside from that one book that I refuse to mention? Why would he do that, then get upset with people giving him the reaction he sought out in the first place? It doesn't add up.

I support Michael's statement in the Ebony interview in '87. Responding to such stories only dignifies them. Besides, that would be a full time job itself with the amount that Michael had to deal with! He was more focused on the overall plan of creating a lasting artistic legacy

'Leave Me Alone' was the perfect way to throw it back their faces and laugh at them.

Also, let's not forget that there were tabloid lies written about him before '86. I saw a report when he was a child that claimed he was a castro! They said he was having gender reassignment, and planned to marry Clifton Davis (the writer of 'Never Can Say Goodbye') when he was a teenager. That he was taking hormones to make his voice high during 'Off The Wall'. People were already talking about his surgery in '83 (my favourite year or him )

They've always been there.

It think some of you are being unfair with your expectations of not only Michael, but entertainers in general. How can one person embody the hopes and dreams of billions of people they don't even know? We may not agree with all the choices that Michael made, but we should respect the fact that it was his life, and he had the right the live it the way that he chose to.
    I agree completely. This thread feels like it belongs in the 'tabloid discussions' 'Trials and Tribulations section.

Michael understood from a very young age that the press would write anything to sell copies, and fans / the general public would believe anything they wanted to believe about him, to suit their own aims and agendas. There are still fans who believe Michael is alive!
    There are still people who believe he didn't have vitiligo, despite the PM report.
    There are people who believe vitiligo is a 'disease'. (The absence of melanin itself is not*....although there may be auto immune conditions underlying it).

Michael gave fans and the public his life in music, dance and art. He doesn't 'owe' anyone ANY information about himself beyond his public career. He knew from 1993 that even some of the people closest to him would be prepared to make up the most heinous stories about him. Why would he even take anyone close to him into his confidence, let alone fans or the general public?

Why should he have been a 'poster boy' for vitiligo? He wanted to be entirely himself, and to help as many people in the world as possible; not to be pigeonholed into some convenient category.

We can 'project' whatever of our 'wants' or 'needs' or 'beliefs' on to Michael, but I'm glad he lived his own true life in his own true way. 'Be true to yourself' is one of his best and strongest messages. I'm glad that he didn't feel that he needed to 'justify himself' to gain acceptance for who he was or how he looked. That's exactly as it should be.

------------------------------------------------------------
    * by most definitions
    Cambridge English dictionary
    disease: (an) illness of people, animals, plants, etc., caused by infection or a failure of health…

Britannica
    Disease, any harmful deviation from the normal structural or functional state of an organism, generally associated with certain signs and symptoms.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1299105/
    'An absence of health'?
    At first sight, the answer to “What is a disease?” is straightforward. Most of us feel we have an intuitive grasp of the idea, reaching mentally to images or memories of colds, cancer or tuberculosis. But a look through any medical dictionary soon shows that articulating a satisfactory definition of disease is surprisingly difficult. And it is not much help defining disease as the opposite of health, given that definitions of health are equally tricky.

It might not be easy to articulate what a disease is, but we like to think we would at least all know when we saw one. Unfortunately, this is problematic as well. Notions of health are highly context-dependent, as human diseases only exist in relation to people, and people live in varied cultural contexts. Studies in medical anthropology and sociology have shown that whether people believe themselves to be ill varies with class, gender, ethnic group and less obvious factors such as proximity to support from family members.

What counts as a disease also changes over historical time, partly as a result of increasing expectations of health, partly due to changes in diagnostic ability, but mostly for a mixture of social and economic reasons.
    Last edited by myosotis; 08-10-2017 at 01:33 PM.
    'We may not change the world in one day but we still can change some things today, in our small way.'[/SIZE][/SIZE]

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to myosotis For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 7%, Points required for next Level: 372
    Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,737 Times in 580 Posts

[QUOTE=myosotis;4208320]

Why should he have been a 'poster boy' for vitiligo? He wanted to be entirely himself, and to help as many people in the world as possible; not to be pigeonholed into some convenient category. "

Show business is a tough business to be sure. Artists know from the onset their privacy is the price they pay for fame. Of course I believe the media and fans understand artists' need to hold on to some of their privacy. But if some thing as "vitiligo" comes up, then it should be the responsibility of the artist to be upfront and honest about it. We all know human beings are not perfect. Take David Cassidy he has been very honest and upfront about his personal struggles. I admire him and respect him more because of it. Michael could have done the same thing with his vitiligo struggles. How can he be "pigeonholed into some convenient category"?? Michael loved to help people so this would have been his perfect opportunity to do just that. The media, fans everyone in general would have respected him for it, not made fun of him or written crazy speculations about him. But I believe Michael, loved the publicity, and imo he let it fester to get just that. Sad.

Michael complained so much about the media, ( and yes the media was grossly incompetent and irresponsible during the trial), but he also gave them a lot fodder throughout his career. He can't have it both ways.
    You are FOREVER MICHAEL - WE ARE FOREVER

Xscape 2014

Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 71
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Level
    Thanks

Is there even a proof that Michael gave photos of him to tabloids, in the eighties?

Aside Taraborelli’s biography (which is honestly a shaky source), I don’t remember reading about that anywhere.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Miel For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 16
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks

I asked the exact same thing.

As far as Michael being happy about people thinking he was ashamed of his heritage... the way his eyes welled up, and his voice shivered when explaining his condition to Oprah, said otherwise...

It's interesting that no one has mentioned the low self esteem he had, due to the teasing about his natural features from media, and his own family as a teenager. Having to go in the spotlight on top of that must have been difficult to say the least.

It's sad that some fans hold such a cynical view when it comes to Michael. Then again, when you consider the source (that book) it's not surprising. They make it seem as though Michael spent every waking hour plotting and scheming on how to trick people, and was totally incapable of any genuine emotion at all.

I've already spent too much time in this thread. I'll go back to discussing the music from now on

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Michael's Essence For This Useful Post: