Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Results 46 to 58 of 58

Thread: Changing skin colour

   
  1. #46
    Points: 486, Level: 9
    Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 14
    Overall activity: 56.0%
    Achievements:
    7 days registered250 Experience Points
    EmJ1979's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    73
    Points
    486
    Level
    9
    Thanks
    36
    Thanked 29 Times in 19 Posts

    Default Re: Changing skin colour

    I love Michael before I make my comment as I know that a few will jump on me for what I'm about to say but maybe he let the changing skin colour stories run as he knew that being talked about was better than not being talked about. It kept him in the press and it kept him current. He learnt from an early age to lie to press and was told that it was ok to lie sometimes as long as it helped your career. Regardless of whether it was good or bad press it was keeping him in the public eye and kept people interested. It would have been easier to just say he had Vitiligo, and yes he didn't have to discuss all his medical issues with the world but he must have known that the only way to put the stories to bed would be to just say its Vitiligo. He was an enigma to me and always will be. I have seen him in interviews telling fibs because that's what he or others thought people wanted to hear so we cant always say that everything that he told the world was gospel. He is a very clever man and he knows what he doing with regards to the press. Well that's my belief anyway

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to EmJ1979 For This Useful Post:


  3. #47
    Points: 486, Level: 9
    Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 14
    Overall activity: 56.0%
    Achievements:
    7 days registered250 Experience Points
    EmJ1979's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    73
    Points
    486
    Level
    9
    Thanks
    36
    Thanked 29 Times in 19 Posts

    Default Re: Changing skin colour

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael's Essence View Post
    I asked the exact same thing.

    As far as Michael being happy about people thinking he was ashamed of his heritage... the way his eyes welled up, and his voice shivered when explaining his condition to Oprah, said otherwise...

    It's interesting that no one has mentioned the low self esteem he had, due to the teasing about his natural features from media, and his own family as a teenager. Having to go in the spotlight on top of that must have been difficult to say the least.

    It's sad that some fans hold such a cynical view when it comes to Michael. Then again, when you consider the source (that book) it's not surprising. They make it seem as though Michael spent every waking hour plotting and scheming on how to trick people, and was totally incapable of any genuine emotion at all.

    I've already spent too much time in this thread. I'll go back to discussing the music from now on
    I don't think he wasn't genuine at all. I think he was a lovely man with great morals and wanted to help the world in many ways. Regardless of the book though you cant say you've never seen any of the footage where Michael was telling little fibs. Whether this was to protect himself as he didn't think he needed to share everything with the world or whether it was what he thought people wanted to hear, he did tell fibs sometimes.

  4. #48
    Points: 284, Level: 5
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 16
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    250 Experience Points31 days registered
    Michael's Essence's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    75
    Points
    284
    Level
    5
    Thanks
    55
    Thanked 54 Times in 30 Posts

    Default Re: Changing skin colour

    @EmJ1979 I think that a skin disease is far more serious than an oxygen chamber or elephant man bones. It would be extremely insensitive on his part to use that for publicity. Knowing that there are real sufferers out there. He cared for the sick and needy. If it was that 'easy' for him to reveal it, he would have done that years ago. Not only was he private, but you're forgetting that he was very shy. Or was that an act too?

    Where's the compassion?

    He also had lupus, yet no one really talks about that.

    Besides, his status as legend was already cemented after Motown 25. He could have retired after '83 if he wanted to, and always be relevant. To this day he's still the standard that artists measure themselves against. I can't count how many claims I've heard about someone else being 'the next Michael Jackson'. He didn't need any cheap stunts.

    I've already acknowledged that Michael had flaws. Part of those were his fibs. There's a difference between changing a few details here and there, and creating harmful and offensive fabrications from scratch.

    What does any of this have to do with his music anyway? How does it affect our lives? I just see a lot of nit-picking. I'm not jumping on you. My last post was supposed to be just that on this matter. I only responded because you quoted me directly.

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to Michael's Essence For This Useful Post:


  6. #49
    Points: 486, Level: 9
    Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 14
    Overall activity: 56.0%
    Achievements:
    7 days registered250 Experience Points
    EmJ1979's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    73
    Points
    486
    Level
    9
    Thanks
    36
    Thanked 29 Times in 19 Posts

    Default Re: Changing skin colour

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael's Essence View Post
    @EmJ1979 I think that a skin disease is far more serious than an oxygen chamber or elephant man bones. It would be extremely insensitive on his part to use that for publicity. Knowing that there are real sufferers out there. He cared for the sick and needy. If it was that 'easy' for him to reveal it, he would have done that years ago. Not only was he private, but you're forgetting that he was very shy. Or was that an act too?

    Where's the compassion?

    He also had lupus, yet no one really talks about that.

    Besides, his status as legend was already cemented after Motown 25. He could have retired after '83 if he wanted to, and always be relevant. To this day he's still the standard that artists measure themselves against. I can't count how many claims I've heard about someone else being 'the next Michael Jackson'. He didn't need any cheap stunts.

    I've already acknowledged that Michael had flaws. Part of those were his fibs. There's a difference between changing a few details here and there, and creating harmful and offensive fabrications from scratch.

    What does any of this have to do with his music anyway? How does it affect our lives? I just see a lot of nit-picking. I'm not jumping on you. My last post was supposed to be just that on this matter. I only responded because you quoted me directly.
    Oh no I wasn't aiming that at you when I said that people would jump on me.
    I don't believe he put the story out that he was bleaching his skin I'm just saying maybe he let it run longer than it needed to as it kept him in the public eye. I might be totally wrong, I'm just saying it could be one theory

  7. #50
    Points: 530, Level: 10
    Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 20
    Overall activity: 79.0%
    Achievements:
    31 days registered500 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    130
    Points
    530
    Level
    10
    Thanks
    336
    Thanked 172 Times in 70 Posts

    Default Re: Changing skin colour

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael's Essence View Post
    I asked the exact same thing.

    As far as Michael being happy about people thinking he was ashamed of his heritage... the way his eyes welled up, and his voice shivered when explaining his condition to Oprah, said otherwise...

    It's interesting that no one has mentioned the low self esteem he had, due to the teasing about his natural features from media, and his own family as a teenager. Having to go in the spotlight on top of that must have been difficult to say the least.

    It's sad that some fans hold such a cynical view when it comes to Michael. Then again, when you consider the source (that book) it's not surprising. They make it seem as though Michael spent every waking hour plotting and scheming on how to trick people, and was totally incapable of any genuine emotion at all.

    I've already spent too much time in this thread. I'll go back to discussing the music from now on
    Actually, in my post #6 on page 1, I did express that perhaps because of the criticism Michael received about his looks in his youth he was just too shy to talk about having Vitiligo.

    "I too wish he would have spoke out about it earlier. Perhaps he was scared or embarrassed, he did have image issues because of things that happened to/said about him during his teen years. Perhaps he was just trying to maintain what little privacy about his personal life as he could.

    Maybe his "people" did try, but Michael refused to speak about it until he felt he had no choice.

    While his skin color and/plastic surgeries shouldn't have been the focus, he was a musical genius, that's what important, I can also understand why his changing looks were highly commented on. It wasn't subtle, especially when comparing him from Thriller to Bad. It had to raise eyebrows, especially in the black community who thought he didn't want to "be black" anymore.

    I also think he could have been an ambassador for the disease, show the world that it didn't matter, that having Vitiligo didn't need to be any kind of stigma. It would have spun things much more in his favor had it been played that way instead of trying to hide it for so long."

  8. #51
    Points: 7,989, Level: 60
    Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 161
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    Three Friends5000 Experience PointsVeteran

    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    2,075
    Points
    7,989
    Level
    60
    Thanks
    3,231
    Thanked 3,252 Times in 1,244 Posts

    Default Re: Changing skin colour

    And if he had come out with it in the 80's, do people honestly think the press and public would have said "Oh good, thank god we've got that straight" and would have treated him with compassion? Hardly. They would have had a field day ripping him to pieces. And I have no doubt he knew it. People forget that in the 80's and 90's and even today, there is one set of rules for Michael Jackson and another set of rules for everyone else.

    Vitiligo wasn't well known before Michael talked about it. Very few in the 80's and before even knew what it was. Even before his lightening become obvious he was already having to defend himself against rumour, plastic surgery etc...the press conference with Frank Dileo in '84 (I believe it was) debunking rumours of taking hormones, changing his cheekbones etc..so what do you think the reaction would have been if the top black artist had come out and said he was losing his pigment? As mentioned earlier people don't even know about it now. We weren't in his shoes and having to deal with issues, pressures, he faced, that most of us don't know and can't possibly understand.

    His medical records were his to keep private and has nothing to do with his art or philanthropy.

    He certainly didn't need to keep any rumours about his skin going for publicity. He was getting more than his share, the good and the bad. He was already the most famous artist at the time. And name one person on this planet who doesn't stretch the truth now and then. Everyone fibs. Everyone.
    Last edited by SarahJ; 10-10-2017 at 10:51 AM. Reason: fixed spelling
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Culture changes, fashion change, customs change, great music is immortal." - MJ

  9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SarahJ For This Useful Post:


  10. #52
    Points: 27,217, Level: 97
    Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 133
    Overall activity: 85.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Mesa, Arizona
    Posts
    11,411
    Points
    27,217
    Level
    97
    Thanks
    32
    Thanked 3,503 Times in 1,637 Posts

    Default Re: Changing skin colour

    Quote Originally Posted by Miel View Post
    Is there even a proof that Michael gave photos of him to tabloids, in the eighties?

    Aside Taraborelli’s biography (which is honestly a shaky source), I don’t remember reading about that anywhere.
    there was someone that worked for the National Enquirer stated that he sent it to them.. So I guess those are the two sources we heard it from.. Taraborelli and a National Enquirer employee or former employee..
    **He lives forever within us**

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to KOPV For This Useful Post:


  12. #53
    Points: 1,329, Level: 20
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 71
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Miel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    the Rebellious City
    Posts
    130
    Points
    1,329
    Level
    20
    Thanks
    4,714
    Thanked 88 Times in 48 Posts

    Default Re: Changing skin colour

    Quote Originally Posted by KOPV View Post
    there was someone that worked for the National Enquirer stated that he sent it to them.. So I guess those are the two sources we heard it from.. Taraborelli and a National Enquirer employee or former employee..
    Two shaky sources, then.

  13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Miel For This Useful Post:


  14. #54
    Points: 27,217, Level: 97
    Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 133
    Overall activity: 85.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Mesa, Arizona
    Posts
    11,411
    Points
    27,217
    Level
    97
    Thanks
    32
    Thanked 3,503 Times in 1,637 Posts

    Default Re: Changing skin colour

    ^ Well yeah, it's the national inquirer I don't think we can get 'better' source when it comes to a tabloid article.. it's all we have and it's the most we'd probably ever get lol!
    **He lives forever within us**

  15. #55
    Points: 35,958, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Three Friends25000 Experience PointsVeteran

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Stalins Tomb,New York
    Posts
    4,538
    Points
    35,958
    Level
    100
    Thanks
    18
    Thanked 254 Times in 105 Posts

    Default Re: Changing skin colour

    i still don't understand why this is a topic of discussion amongst fans in 2017
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5z0XD5WmxUM <--- "The Way You make Me Feel Live Vs Video. Check it Out!

    FOR YOU'RE ALWAYS,IN MY HEART
    ITS 2009 AND MICHAEL AND I ARE IN TOUR MODE
    MICHAEL IM COMIN 2 JAM WITH U ON JULY 13TH,2009

  16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to michaelsson For This Useful Post:


  17. #56
    Points: 24,450, Level: 95
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 900
    Overall activity: 56.0%
    Achievements:
    Three Friends10000 Experience PointsVeteranTagger First Class

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Sweden (Svergie)
    Posts
    4,367
    Points
    24,450
    Level
    95
    Thanks
    5,719
    Thanked 4,078 Times in 1,573 Posts

    Default Re: Changing skin colour

    Quote Originally Posted by michaelsson View Post
    i still don't understand why this is a topic of discussion amongst fans in 2017
    Seriously, why not? No topic should be taboo or off reach as long as we discuss it with respect and dignity. So far people have been very respectfull and put forth their arguments in a good way.

  18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Themidwestcowboy For This Useful Post:


  19. #57
    Points: 27,217, Level: 97
    Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 133
    Overall activity: 85.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Mesa, Arizona
    Posts
    11,411
    Points
    27,217
    Level
    97
    Thanks
    32
    Thanked 3,503 Times in 1,637 Posts

    Default Re: Changing skin colour

    as long as we are sensitive to the fact Michael had a skin disorder, I don't see how we could pretend it is not a thing! It played a huge role in Michaels life, how he was preserved and various trials he dealt with.. It is a very topical question even in 2017, especially when we spent several years not really discussing it aside from stating facts "he has a skin disorder"... It's ok to talk about the corresponding issues..
    **He lives forever within us**

  20. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to KOPV For This Useful Post:


  21. #58
    Points: 4,766, Level: 44
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 184
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    110
    Points
    4,766
    Level
    44
    Thanks
    307
    Thanked 54 Times in 26 Posts

    Default Re: Changing skin colour

    I don't think it would have mattered....people are stupid and understand things in their own time ....if at all

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •