Thread: Changing skin colour

Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 14
    Overall activity: 56.0%
    Achievements:
    7 days registered250 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks

Default Changing skin colour

Why did so many people have so much to say about Michaels skin colour changing but I've never seen anything mentioned about his sister who also has lighter skin than she did when she was younger. To be honest her and Michael look like twins. I'd like to hear why you think the press had to hound him so much about his changing looks. There are so many celebrities who look nothing like they did when they first started out due to plastic surgery and although you might see small articles about this just to sell trash magazines they in no way hound them like they did Michael

Last edited by EmJ1979; 26-09-2017 at 10:01 PM. Reason: Spelling mistake

Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 162
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thanks

Default Re: Changing skin colour

Because Michael was the most famous singer of all his siblings? Tbh Michael should have released a statement regarding his skin disease instead of waiting until '93.

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to JEMFTV For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 97
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered

Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JEMFTV View Post
    Because Michael was the most famous singer of all his siblings? Tbh Michael should have released a statement regarding his skin disease instead of waiting until '93.
    Yeah I agree. He should have come out with a statement in 1986 because that was the first year in which he appear to be of lighter skin tone. It was obvious that people would pick on his changing skin colour. I just wish Michael had better people in his life who advised him better.

Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 14
    Achievements:
    7 days registered250 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks

It's just ridiculous to me that a man with so much talent and such a kind hearted individual was defined by his skin colour. I know he said that people only wanted to read the trash stories but I would much rather read about his accomplishments in life than what colour his face was and the size of his nose. I totally agree with you about the people he had advising him though. They were only out for themselves not to protect him

Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 900
    Achievements:
    Three Friends10000 Experience PointsVeteranTagger First Class

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,078 Times in 1,573 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JEMFTV View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Criminal View Post
    Yeah I agree. He should have come out with a statement in 1986 because that was the first year in which he appear to be of lighter skin tone. It was obvious that people would pick on his changing skin colour. I just wish Michael had better people in his life who advised him better.

What I don't understand is that Michael wrote and released an autobiography in 88 discussing his plastic surgeries but couldn't talk about how his skin disease made his complexion light like a caucasian man? I love Mike and it's easy to talk like this in retrospect but honestly where was his team?? They should have adivsed him to say something, there is no way that could turn into anything else than a PR nightmare. Maybe they did but he didn't listen. Maybe, just maybe he liked the ambiguity and the mystery of it all during that time I don't know. He should have said something
    Last edited by Themidwestcowboy; 26-09-2017 at 11:51 PM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Themidwestcowboy For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 38%, Points required for next Level: 31
    Overall activity: 72.0%
    Achievements:
    31 days registered500 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Themidwestcowboy View Post
    What I don't understand is that Michael wrote and released an autobiography in 88 discussing his plastic surgeries but couldn't talk about how his skin disease made his complexion light like a caucasian man? I love Mike and it's easy to talk like this in retrospect but honestly where was his team?? They should have adivsed him to say something, there is no way that could turn into anything else than a PR nightmare. Maybe they did but he didn't listen. Maybe, just maybe he liked the ambiguity and the mystery of it all during that time I don't know. He should have said something
    I too wish he would have spoke out about it earlier. Perhaps he was scared or embarrassed, he did have image issues because of things that happened to/said about him during his teen years. Perhaps he was just trying to maintain what little privacy about his personal life as he could.

Maybe his "people" did try, but Michael refused to speak about it until he felt he had no choice.

While his skin color and/plastic surgeries shouldn't have been the focus, he was a musical genius, that's what important, I can also understand why his changing looks were highly commented on. It wasn't subtle, especially when comparing him from Thriller to Bad. It had to raise eyebrows, especially in the black community who thought he didn't want to "be black" anymore.

I also think he could have been an ambassador for the disease, show the world that it didn't matter, that having Vitiligo didn't need to be any kind of stigma. It would have spun things much more in his favor had it been played that way instead of trying to hide it for so long.
    Last edited by Tess66; 27-09-2017 at 03:37 AM.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tess66 For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 48%, Points required for next Level: 79
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thanks

I agree with Tess66, in that Michael's skin color changed very quickly in the five years between Thriller and Bad. To the average person, who didn't stay informed about celebrities, it appeared instantaneous. I think that's what started the bulk of the rumors, and Michael's refusal to address it just fueled the fire. His interview with Oprah didn't occur until he'd already spent 11 years, wrestling with vitiligo. The glove he wore on Motown 25 remains stained by brown makeup on the inside, to this day...probably because Michael hastily added the glove before going on stage that night.

Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 85
    Overall activity: 33.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks

Personally I think he chose to ignore the rumours, stories and accusations. He never really addressed any rumours during that period, more to the point he actively encouraged them. Michael was an enigma. He was neither Black or White, slightly androgynous (in appearance) and was half man/half child (of course i say these things with the up most respect). It made him who he was.

I don't doubt that he was ill informed and that Dileo made some strange decisions in the 80's, but for me the illusion was a part of who Michael was.
    With the L.O.V.E

Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 46
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks

See, tbh, I think the negative public reaction was mainly to Michael's lack of addressing the issue.
    It was clear that by 1986 his appearance was slightly different, and his skin obviously lighter. By 1993, he was very very white, I can understand how the public would speculate skin bleaching.

Level completed: 12%, Points required for next Level: 44
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    250 Experience Points31 days registered

Level
    Thanks

I remember when the Bad album came out, I was 9 years old. I had been a fan since I was 4 . I remember sitting with the album cover, just staring at it. I couldn't believe how different he looked. At the time there was no internet (I know, I am ancient) and I didn't come from a family of fans. My parents just thought Michael was a "weirdo" and I heard all the rumours in the press. I couldn't get accurate information anywhere. I really wish he had come out then and said, "listen guys, I have a skin disease, this is what is going on right now". It would have made things much easier for fans. I think what hurt the most was people saying he didn't want to be black.

But Michael was a man of mystery and it is said that he could be stubborn. Maybe he truly felt it shouldn't matter to people, or maybe he liked to keep everyone guessing. I guess we will never know. Either way it never stopped me from loving him

Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 900
    Achievements:
    Three Friends10000 Experience PointsVeteranTagger First Class

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,078 Times in 1,573 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by knigofpop View Post
    Personally I think he chose to ignore the rumours, stories and accusations. He never really addressed any rumours during that period, more to the point he actively encouraged them. Michael was an enigma. He was neither Black or White, slightly androgynous (in appearance) and was half man/half child (of course i say these things with the up most respect). It made him who he was.

I don't doubt that he was ill informed and that Dileo made some strange decisions in the 80's, but for me the illusion was a part of who Michael was.
    Michael was black. Stop that nonsense

15. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Themidwestcowboy For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 57
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered

Level
    Thanks

MJ liked the attention and probably thought the ongoing publicity would help his sales. After all, he and his team deliberately planted crazy stories in the press to gain additional coverage and promotion. Sad thing is that those very same stories are what led to the 'whacko *****' tag and turned him into a comedic figure. They led to him not being taken seriously and in the end turned so many people off. Sure, the Vitiligo issue should have been addressed in the media honestly, as should the surgeries but that wasn't MJ's style. People have so much more respect for a celebrity that is honest. As soon as they suspect somebody is trying to be dishonest they get the daggers out.

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 66.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,307 Times in 1,400 Posts

I think it was a private matter to MJ. - When other people are sick we would never dare to ask or demand them to tell about it....

But MJ having Vitiligo needs to be a public matter??

I agree MJ could propably have stoppped some of the speculations if he had said something in the mid-80's - but I understand why he thought it was private and did not want to involve the entire world...
    https://www.youtube.com/user/Ahess/videos - me dancing MJ - many years ago.

I would be really glad if you rated or/and commented the videos. Thanks

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Hess For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteranOverdrive50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,743 Times in 2,909 Posts

Why should mj have to put out private medical information to apease people and their ignorance. You think the media whos lies have created a false truth over the last two decades would have said yeah there you go mj has vitiligo and wouldnt have continued pushed their hate filled agenda to brainwash the ignoranat masses. Talk about blaming the victim

If mj denied having something as "normal" as pneumonia in 2007 amongst other times when infact he did why would he want even more such personal medical info put out there

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to elusive moonwalker For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 38%, Points required for next Level: 31
    Overall activity: 72.0%
    Achievements:
    31 days registered500 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks

I often wonder what the people who worked closely with Michael thought about it. I mean, it was an obvious change to his looks, the vitiligo. I wonder if Dileo tried to get him to acknowledge it publicly.

I completely respect Michael wanting to keep as much of his private life to himself, he was so completely overexposed from a very young age, living under a microscope, in front of the world, watched and tracked constantly.

However, I just believe had he acknowledged having vitiligo long before the Oprah interview, things may not have spun out quite so wildly as they did. I think he should have talked about it in Moonwalker at least. I know, I know, his skin color shouldn't have been an issue, his music, his charitable contributions, his gentle and loving nature were the important things, the things that made him so very special. With his squeaky clean reputation, the press jumped on anything they could, twisting things, flat out making things up, Michael may have been able to easily squash the notion of him wanting to be white, skin bleaching, etc., by just making the same statement he made to Oprah, just earlier.

I have the utmost respect and love for Michael, and as a fan, I accepted the sometimes mysterious things about him. It was endearing to a point, but the one thing I truly wish he had discussed sooner was his vitiligo.

There were, especially in the 80's, many stars who played with their looks/image, Boy George, Prince, Madonna, David Bowie, Cyndi Lauper, etc. Makeup, hair color, wild clothing, and they never came under fire the way Michael did. Unfair??? Absolutely!!! Had Michael been white, and decided to tan himself as dark as possible, nobody would have thought anything about it, but going in the other direction, from dark skin to lighter, OMG, hold the presses!!!

I think, and please don't throw rocks at me, this is just an observation and NOT how I feel; I think the press, the "powers that be" in the industry had the attitude of "How dare this black guy try to be white, who does he think he is!!??". That attitude, combined with Michael trying to be a private person and not saying anything for a long time, just fueled their hurtful fires. They were hungry to get any type of "dirt" they could to tarnish his clean reputation. No drunken/druggie nights, no girls/affairs, none of the usual music star press fodder. So they tore him up in other ways, so desperate to write anything, true or not.

In the bigger picture, even if he did announce the Vitiligo earlier, the press would still have written crazy stuff, but at least that one big "issue" wouldn't have been part of the repertoire.

JMHO

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tess66 For This Useful Post: