Question about the estate and who profits from it

EmJ1979

Proud Member
I could probably read up on this but I'm in a forum with so much knowledge I just want to know the answer to this question. If I go to a screening of scream, buy michaels music and merchandise then who profits from this? Does Sony profit from it? I just don't like the thought of buying anything or attending anything that would line the pockets of a company that Michael hated. I probably sound green but I don't know everything about him and his estate. I know there was some questions about his will that apparently couldn't have been signed by him as he was in a different state and that his mother and his children are on there but that's about it.

Well, Michael's estate no longer owns any part of the ATV catalog, having sold its last remnant to Sony last September. There's also separate rights that exist for any artist's music, such as recording, performance, and publishing. Typically, the more profitable rights are held by either the artist themselves, their estate, or the record label they are contracted to.

Actually MJ did not hate SONY at the time of his death....

MJ did not like Mottolla - he got fired and MJ went back to SONY and did Thriller25 - AND I am very sure he would have released future new album with SONY too...

Sony paid a huge amount in a deal with the estate so will make money fom sales etc

So neither Katherine nor the kids benefit from the Estate?

They get 20 % each - and 20 % to charity. - BUT the lawyers will have to be paid first. - Still J3 and KJ gets a lot of money from the Estate - that was in MJ's will.

So neither Katherine nor the kids benefit from the Estate?

Yes they are the beneficiaries. Katherine gets a huge monthly allowance until she dies and "loans" that she hands out to the dead beats in the family. The two eldest kids get their own allowance and lump sums as they get older. Blankets guardian gets his money to spend on him.

Kj gets a monthly allowance off 40% of the estate profits.when she dies it goes back to the kids the other 40% is split between the kids and 20% will go to charities.once probate is finished

Yes they are the beneficiaries. Katherine gets a huge monthly allowance until she dies and "loans" that she hands out to the dead beats in the family. The two eldest kids get their own allowance and lump sums as they get older. Blankets guardian gets his money to spend on him.

Kj gets a monthly allowance off 40% of the estate profits.when she dies it goes back to the kids the other 40% is split between the kids and 20% will go to charities.once probate is finished

Thanks - this makes sense. It makes me wonder why Paris didn't know Scream was happening though? Do the estate really not consult on stuff?

Epic is sony. Back in the day it was epic CBS then sony bought them out in the early 90's

I doubt they consult on a box standard re release.why would they its their job.But lets say they wanted to release more footage from TII or i dunno private home movies then you would expect them to talk to the kids. But scream is nothing more than a box standard re release

Epic is sony. Back in the day it was epic CBS then sony bought them out in the early 90's

I doubt they consult on a box standard re release.why would they its their job.But lets say they wanted to release more footage from TII or i dunno private home movies then you would expect them to talk to the kids. But scream is nothing more than a box standard re release

I agree. The Estate is a buisness - they should not waste time to involve J3 in every little detail...

I could probably read up on this but I'm in a forum with so much knowledge I just want to know the answer to this question. If I go to a screening of scream, buy michaels music and merchandise then who profits from this? Does Sony profit from it? I just don't like the thought of buying anything or attending anything that would line the pockets of a company that Michael hated. I probably sound green but I don't know everything about him and his estate. I know there was some questions about his will that apparently couldn't have been signed by him as he was in a different state and that his mother and his children are on there but that's about it.

All income that is generated, benefits the Estate and the Estate equals the beneficiaries - who are Katherine Jackson, Prince, Paris and Bigi Jackson. Of course, those involved in production, along the way, must receive what is owed to them. Traditionally, the posthumous projects haven't generated a lot of income, apart from TII and the Cirque du Soleil shows, of course. Rather than being all about income and profits, projects like Scream/Thriller 3D, the CBS Halloween Special, MJ The Experience dance game, BAD25 and Xscape have been more about growing the fan base, reaching younger audiences and shining a spotlight on the positive aspect of Michael's life, which is, of course, his body of work...his artistry.

I've bought every new MJ-related project since about 1970...wondering where my money went to, or whom it served, has never been a "thing" with me. Michael's work brings me joy and my mission has always been to support his work. So, you guessed it...I'm eagerly awaiting my Scream CD, which I'm expecting any time soon, in the post. Even though it's a collection of songs I already have, elsewhere - the mash-up is new, I don't have "Somebody's Watching Me" and I love, love, love the cover art. I want the poster, the packaging, the gimmicks - opening up my CD is gonna be fun. Just like the old days. :)

If I could go back in time to ask Michael something it would be if he could use his voice to sing on the Simpsons episode, and release 'Lisa, It's Your Birthday' as a b-side to 'Do The Bartman'.

I'd be present at Hayvenhurst for the unauthorised interview in '83, where I could ask him all about 'Startin' Somethin' - my favourite song :) Oh, and 'The Man'! Just to witness his joy would be magical! We could dance and play tag! :)

I posted in the wrong thread and I don't know how to delete or move it. Could someone help me?

I posted in the wrong thread and I don't know how to delete or move it. Could someone help me?
hi. You could highlight it, copy and then paste it in the correct thread.
Then go back, highlight again and press delete. I usually have to write "delete" in the box bc it doesn't like to stay blank. :)

Back