Share Your Favourite 'Best Of' Compilation

83magic

Proud Member
I was going to make this a poll, but there are so many to choose from there wouldn't be enough options!

As someone who prefers singles in general, compilation albums, especially during the pre digital era, were ideal. You knew what you were getting before buying, and it gave you a chance to own songs that you may have missed out on during their original release.

What's interesting is that the track-listing varies depending on what region you happen to be in.

Here are a few of my favourites:

1. The Essential Michael Jackson - Covers Michael's career highlights in chronological order. Radio edits of the most popular singles. Great introduction for any beginner.

2. The Best Of Michael Jackson - A Motown release that is crucial for anyone wanting to learn about Michael's solo career before 'Off The Wall'. The songs are taken from the 4 albums released on that label; 'Got To Be There', 'Ben', 'Music And Me', and 'Forever, Michael'. It's interesting to hear his vocal growth. Though songs like 'With A Child's Heart' and 'Music And Me' were not written by him, they were able to capture his essence :)

3.The Very Best Of The Jacksons - The most comprehensive overview of that period in my opinion. A double disc collection that is split between the Motown and CBS years. It's the latter that interests me the most. All the singles from their debut in 1976, all the way up until 2300 Jackson Street are here. Plus the live version of 'Don't Stop..'.

What are your favourites?

The essential Michael jackson. First compilation MJ album I owned. Brings back alot of good memories. I always liked the cover.

Although 'The Essential Michael Jackson' is probably the best one out there, I always disliked the fact that it pretty much stopped at 'Dangerous' and didn't give enough love to HIStory, BOTDF, or Invincible. That's why 'Number Ones' would have to be my favorite compilation. It's relatively balanced: 2 Off the Wall Songs, 3 Thriller songs, 6 Bad songs, 1 Dangerous song, 2 HIStory songs, and 2 Invincible songs. If I were to have it my way, I would have taken out the last two tracks 'One More Chance' and 'Ben (Live)' and instead added 'Remember the Time' or 'Heal the World' and 'Blood on the Dance Floor'. That way it would've been absolutely perfect, atleast as far as an 18-track single CD can be.

P.S. I just remembered that the European/International version actually does have 'Blood on the Dance Floor' instead of 'Ben'. But then they substituted 'Human Nature' for 'Man in the Mirror'..big mistake.

I think that 'Break Of Dawn' must have been one of Michael's personal favourites for him to include it on 'Number Ones'. It was also referenced in 'This Is It'.

Number Ones was tricky because not all of those songs were chart toppers. I think 'One Day In Your Life' should have been included in the uk edition, as it was his first solo number 1 here.

I actually wish he went through with the 'Decade' idea back in '89/'90. It would have been the perfect way to close a chapter. From what I've seen of the rumoured tracklist, it not only featured all the singles from the albums, but also rarities such as 'Someone In The Dark'.

I think that 'Break Of Dawn' must have been one of Michael's personal favourites for him to include it on 'Number Ones'. It was also referenced in 'This Is It'.

Number Ones was tricky because not all of those songs were chart toppers. I think 'One Day In Your Life' should have been included in the uk edition, as it was his first solo number 1 here.

I actually wish he went through with the 'Decade' idea back in '89/'90. It would have been the perfect way to close a chapter. From what I've seen of the rumoured tracklist, it not only featured all the singles from the albums, but also rarities such as 'Someone In The Dark'.

One Day In Your Life is included on The Jackson 5 / Jacksons Best Of CD. I've no idea why it was put on there since it was a solo Michael song but it's on there

Yes, I'm aware of that. I think it's because there simply weren't as many J5 singles released here. Maybe they added Michael's to make up the numbers? I think 'Anthology' is a better collection that focuses solely on the Jackson 5.

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned 'The King Of Pop', which was released for his 50th birthday. The tracklist was compiled by fans in each country. I think there were at least 3 discs.

What about 'This Is It'?

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned 'The King Of Pop', which was released for his 50th birthday. The tracklist was compiled by fans in each country. I think there were at least 3 discs.

I like "King of Pop". It has 2 discs. I think it has a really good collection from Michaels albums from Off The Wall to Invincible (30 Songs) and represents every of this albums very good. It was 6 weeks on 1 in Germany after Michaels death.

Very best of the Jacksons by far, a fantastic introduction to MJ's musical pedigree. To be honest given how cheap CD's are now, I would encourage any new fan to start with HIStory book 1 and the greatest hits disc and then buy all the following - OFTW, Thriller, Bad, Dangerous, Invincible and BODF. Any money left over and those albums create a good impression by Xscape and Michael, but realise that Michael has 3 fake songs on it.

Seriously $100 or so and you have most of MJ's musical legacy, what is that, a night on the town a romantic dinner or the majority of music released by the King of Pop.

Back