Moonwalker in iTunes

madmijack

Proud Member
Why can't I find Moonwalker in iTunes? Why aren't they releasing it there? What is the reason? It was remastered and released few years ago in HD, so I'm kinda disappointed it's not in iTunes.

It is there, and in HD, just not in your country. It shows up on my countries iTunes Store - I just looked.

I swear to God that Moonwalker needs to be released in North America not just on iTunes. It's not fair other continents gets Moonwalker while we North Americans got nothing.:angry:

Moonwalker has never been released on DVD or Bluray in North America. It has only been released on VHS. I don't know how this hasn't been released on a modern format.

Moonwalker has never been released on DVD or Bluray in North America. It has only been released on VHS. I don't know how this hasn't been released on a modern format.

Many of us have this: https://www.amazon.com/Michael-Jacksons-Moonwalker-Jackson/dp/B0030A0ZD4
It has got a great image and quality.

Also found this at Wikipedia:
Because of specific music and film licensing, Moonwalker has never been officially released by Warner Bros, or any other studio, in North America on DVD or Blu-ray.

I hope one day MJ Estate and Warner Bros. shake hands and solve this issue.

In which country's iTunes do you see it? As long as it's not in US iTunes, it's the major digital market for Apple, isn't it?

New Zealand:
ioRyzli.png

America isn't Apple's only major market from iTunes - far from it. iTunes is rather popular all over the world (but no doubt it's popularity has decreased since streaming became king. Hell even Apple prominently promote their streaming service Apple Music on the iTunes front page now).

Also found this at Wikipedia:
Because of specific music and film licensing, Moonwalker has never been officially released by Warner Bros, or any other studio, in North America on DVD or Blu-ray.

I hope one day MJ Estate and Warner Bros. shake hands and solve this issue.

It might not just be between the MJ Estate/Warner Brothers. I haven't seen the film in about 3 years but IIRC it features footage from numerous sources in the first 30 minutes - both during the retrospective but also during the Man in the Mirror opening, I just remember there's footage of Martin Luther King, John Lennon and other historical figures. One of the copyright holders for this material might be the issue here for North America.

Geographical restrictions when it comes to media is utterly moronic in this day and age. If you want Moonwalker in HD, you can always just buy the blu-ray from Amazon or something, Blu-Ray.com states it's region-free and I looked on my case a few years back for it, didn't see a regional restriction icon on the back.

Yeah I don't like how Moonwalker never got proper attention in the US.. I always figured this is partially was one of the first signs of US not giving MJ the attention deserved ie. why post Bad tour no more United States tour dates.. (Aside the allegations of course)

Just buy it in Blu-ray, it's region free.

The blu-ray is definitely worth it, seeing MJ at his peak in that quality is amazing.

I own the dvd and blu ray and still have my original vhs. but i also would like an iTunes copy

Just so you guys know, Moonwalker Bluray is "only" a 2K scan from a 35mm copy (not the master) which looks amazing btw

I heard Moonwalker is on schedule for Bluray release in the US, i hope finally we get a 4K Remastered edition

Just so you guys know, Moonwalker Bluray is "only" a 2K scan from a 35mm copy (not the master) which looks amazing btw

I heard Moonwalker is on schedule for Bluray release in the US, i hope finally we get a 4K Remastered edition

Where did you find out all of this?

Where did you hear?

I have never heard about the 2K scan before. - I have the Blu-Ray and it looks great. 1080p - is that not only 1K? - so will it matter on a Blu-Ray release if it is a 2K scan or a 4K scan? - Will it not only be on a 4K Blu-Ray you will be able to see the difference?? - I am not so much into all this technical details.

And when you say 4K Remastered Edition - is that a normal 1080p Blu-Ray or a real 4K release?

Do you have a source?

Where did you hear?

I have never heard about the 2K scan before. - I have the Blu-Ray and it looks great. 1080p - is that not only 1K? - so will it matter on a Blu-Ray release if it is a 2K scan or a 4K scan? - Will it not only be on a 4K Blu-Ray you will be able to see the difference?? - I am not so much into all this technical details.

1080p is actually just shy of 2K. Let me explain very basically:

The size of 1080p is 1920x1080 pixels. The '1080' in '1080p' means it has a height of 1080 pixels. So 720p means its 720 pixels tall, 480p is 480 pixels tall and so forth. No, 'p' does not stand for pixels, and it can sometimes be swapped out for 'i'. Since you're overly technical, don't worry so much about why.

When you see a "K" after the letter, that means it's indicating to you the rough width of the image in thousands, instead of height. So 2K is often 2048x1080 pixels, the '2K' comes from the fact the width is roughly 2000 pixels wide. 4K is often 4096 x 2160 pixels, as the width is roughly 4000 pixels wide and so forth.

Going back to your question, 1080p is 1920x1080. So we have 1920 pixels width, that's coming close to 2000 pixels width so it's actually considered just shy of 2K.

So yeah. In short, if you see a p or i, it's telling you the pixels height exactly. K? It's the pixels width approximately.

------------

Generally a restoration is done at extremely high resolutions to future proof. If they restore it at 4K as opposed to 2K, it provides them more detail from the original print to draw on when going through their restoration process. Depending on the method they use when they downscale, it can also result in sharper textures/detail and even less noise. It will vary project by project, how great condition the original print is in, how much work the restorers do (or can do), etc etc.

Last edited:
1080p is just shy of 2K. Let me explain in short:

1080p essentially means 1920x1080 pixels. The '1080' in '1080p' comes from the height of 1080 pixels. So 720p means its 720 pixels tall, 480p is 480 pixels tall and so forth.

When you see a "K" afterwards, that means it's giving you the rough width instead of height. So 2K is actually officially defined as 2048x1080 pixels, the '2K' comes from the fact the width is roughly 2000 pixels wide. 4K is often 4096 x2160 pixels and so forth.

Going back to your question, 1080p is 1920x1080 pixels. So we have 1920 pixels width, that's coming close to 2000 pixels width so it's considered just shy of 2K.

So yeah. In short, if you see a p, it's defined by the pixels height exactly. K? It's the pixels width approximately.

------------

Generally a restoration is done at extremely high resolutions to future proof. If they restore it at 4K as opposed to 2K, it provides them more detail from the original print to draw on when going through their restoration process. Depending on the method they use when they downscale, it can also result in sharper textures/detail and even less noise. It will vary project by project, how great condition the original print is in, how much work the restorers do (or can do), etc etc.

"P" in "1080p" mean "progressive frame", the other option is "interlaced". "K" means "a thousand"

"P" in "1080p" mean "progressive frame", the other option is "interlaced". "K" means "a thousand"

Yes yes, I'm aware of what the actual meaning is for the abbreviations of i, p and K.

The user I was replying too was getting confused between whether the number surround the letter referred to it's width or height (as evidential by the fact they mistook 1080p as 1K). I was keeping it extremely basic as they admitted they weren't technical, they don't really have a need to worry about the difference between progressive and interlaced footage.

Although I rewrote my post slightly to help clarify it better if you want to be technical.

Yes, Warner Bros did a 2K master of Moonwalker back in 2010 for the Blu-ray release.

I hope they will make a new 4K scan directly from the original negatives and release it in Blu-ray 4K someday too, that would be a dream :tongue:

Last edited:
Last edited:
Back