An Issue I Have With Michael and Xscape

Cats-whiskas

Proud Member
Hello all, I am preparing to get told off here but I have searched the forums and can't seem to find my answer.

Do any of you have the Michael and Xscape albums and find listening to them difficult? Uncomfortable? Listening to the albums Michael released when he was alive, just make me feel like I am at home, with my slippers on. So comforting. But with the Posthumous albums, I just can't relax and feel the same about them as I just feel about the albums released when Michael was still with us. A) the vocals on posthumous albums may/maynot be Michael and b) the songs aren't as Michael would have released them. They weren't finished by him so they just don't sit right with me.

Does anyone get where I am coming from and feel the same? Am equally open to other opinions. Please don't shoot me, I have spent hours looking through forum and just can't seem to find the answer to exactly what I am asking.

I don't think there is a real answer to your question as it's a rather subjective topic.

There are some who believe that if a song wasn't completed by Michael, it shouldn't be released, and that even the unfinished, untouched demos shouldn't be released. I believe it was Will.I.Am from "The Black Eyed Peas" who felt strongly that songs without Michael's blessings should not be released.

Then, of course, there are the masses of MJ fans who do nothing but bitch, moan, cry, demand, plead, etc., for new music non stop. Especially the more hard core fans who want to hear the raw demos/unfinished works.

Personally, I don't mind posthomous releases if they are either in their raw state, or finished by someone who knew Michael's vision for the song or at least was respected by and/or worked with Michael.

Listening to the posthumous albums, for me, is bittersweet. A Ying-Yang, so to speak, the pleasure of hearing new music, but the pain of knowing Michael isn't here to finish the song the way he would have wanted.

JMHO

Thanks Tess. I think I am of the mindset that would rather have the songs as Michael left them, raw and unfinished. But I know he would have hated for us to hear them like that. I think my biggest beef is listening to the Michael album, wondering whether or not it is really him. Am I right in stating that their wasn't the same controversy over Xscape?

Last edited:
I don't know if there was controversy over "Xscape", not like with "Michael" anyway.

Someone with more album knowledge would have to answer that one. I would think that after the issues with certain songs on "Michael" that the Estate/Powers That Be would have been much more careful, and scrutinized songs on "Xscape" very thoroughly.

Thanks Tess. I think I am of the mindset that would rather have the songs as Michael left them, raw and unfinished. But I know he would have hated for us to hear them like that. I think my biggest beef is listening to the Michael album, wondering whether or not it is really him. Am I right in stating that their wasn't the same controversy over Xscape?
The songs on Xscape all feature Michael as a vocalist. Keep Your Head Up, Breaking News and Monster (the three released Cascio tracks) on the 'Michael' album do not.

And yes, I feel the same way. I want to hear what Michael left behind and am not really interested in anything else. If they want to 'finish' the songs, get the people who originally worked on it to do it with the strict guideline that they should try to take it in the direction Michael indicated, and slap those on as bonus tracks as a 'what could/may have been' curiosity. If they want to release a remix every now and then to get some attention, fine, but do it to promote Michael's actual work. That should be the center of attention at all times.

The songs on Xscape all feature Michael as a vocalist. Keep Your Head Up, Breaking News and Monster (the three released Cascio tracks) on the 'Michael' album do not.

And yes, I feel the same way. I want to hear what Michael left behind and am not really interested in anything else. If they want to 'finish' the songs, get the people who originally worked on it to do it with the strict guideline that they should try to take it in the direction Michael indicated, and slap those on as bonus tracks as a 'what could/may have been' curiosity. If they want to release a remix every now and then to get some attention, fine, but do it to promote Michael's actual work. That should be the center of attention at all times.

YES this^

Wholeheartedly agree! I would rather hear the songs unfinished/raw first and foremost, with "finishing touches" by respected MJ associates added as a secondary feature.

If a song is uncomplete, and they finish it, and it's done right, like Love Never Felt So Good was, I don't have a problem with it. IMO they got that right and did it close to what Michael probably would have wanted. Same goes for Loving You. I like the contemporized version of that as well. Everything else, not so much, with the exception of the rock version of (Chicago) She Was Loving me. I think of the 3 versions, that was the best one, because if you listen to all 3 and the way Michael sang it, IMO it was ment to be a rock song just by the raw power of his singing.

I understand completely.
When Michael first came out I struggled to listen to it, because all I could think is it's not the same without Mike here. But with BAD 25 I had no problem because it felt like it came from the heart and it was special. Then with Xscape parts of it made me feel really hurt (how much they changed his vision) then parts made me feel just utter happiness (Loving You and Xscape) then the bridge in Xscape came and it really hit home for me, the way the vocals were isolated, the lyrics and the way in which Michael sung them really cut deep.

I feel a little guilty but Michael had a gift which brought joy to the world and his musical legacy should forever survive him

Ultimately i guess it all comes down to one thing. It hurts so much that he isn't here and to know that being a fan will never feel like it used to. It is forever tinged with pain. :(

Any album that is released post passing I will never listen in the same way as the albums HE released.. Have it be songs that are "finished" after 2009 or untouched.. They will always FEEL like leaked material to me... While I can enjoy listening to it, my brain does not process the music/albums as an MJ official release.. To me his solo album list will always end with INVINCIBLE.. (that be it full album standard release set)..

As long as it isn't scraping the barrel, which they haven't done yet, I don't mind. If I don't like it, I won't listen to it and won't have it in my library. Case in point: the Pitbull remix of Bad. Even if I'd rather not have that, a shitty posthumous remix doesn't affect his legacy. When it comes to touching up his music, so long as the final result is good (like most of Xscape) and they include original versions worked on by Michael, I'm okay with that and hell I even encourage it on studio albums to the like of Michael and Xscape.

The unfortunate reality of being a successful musician, especially anywhere near Michael's level, is that you will have posthumously released material. Michael wasn't an idiot and he knew his unreleased material would be released posthumously. Not only did he see it in his lifetime with Elvis Presley, John Lennon, Freddie Mercury and whatever, but he himself even contributed to the posthumous material of another artist - recording a posthumous duet with Minnie Riperton on her 1980 album Love Lives Forever (she died the year before - makes me wonder if he'd even be against the idea of a posthumous duet for his material if done right). Then on top of that you have his posthumous feature of Biggie Smalls on Unbreakable, as well as his remixing of Rod Serling's narration for the rap and monologues on Threatened. So we can see Michael himself got involved with posthumous creations during his lifetime.

On top of this, he would be aware that we wouldn't judge it to the level of his normal work, and even then he released demos a number of times in his life anyway, such as on the 2001 Special Editions and The Ultimate Collection. I think if Michael truly didn't want his unreleased material to be released posthumously, he'd go to some length to ensure they remained unreleased. Stevie Wonder for example, from what I've heard, has ordered his unreleased material to be destroyed upon his death to prevent posthumous releases. So no, as long as they don't scrape the barrel and they sound good, I'm fine with it.

^^^ I wonder why Stevie Wonder would order his unreleased songs to be destroyed? Seems a bit sad in a way, he's a musical genius as well and I would think he'd want his legacy to carry on through his music. Perhaps he's seen what happens to other people's music once they have passed and doesn't want anyone messing with his stuff?

It's such a double edged sword isn't it. I have the bigger issue with 'Michael' for obvious reasons. I really like Xscape. My preference is the original versions of everything. I am so grateful for those. I want what there is but it is so bitter sweet. And I want it all untampered with. But on the flip side there is that knowledge that Mj may well be mortified with us listening to something he hasn't finished with.

^^^ I wonder why Stevie Wonder would order his unreleased songs to be destroyed? Seems a bit sad in a way, he's a musical genius as well and I would think he'd want his legacy to carry on through his music. Perhaps he's seen what happens to other people's music once they have passed and doesn't want anyone messing with his stuff?

I'm not sure why, and I'm not sure if it's even true. It's just what I've heard other people say online. A more knowledgable Stevie Wonder fan could probably answer that for you (I only like a handful of songs here and there).

Hello all, I am preparing to get told off here but I have searched the forums and can't seem to find my answer.

Do any of you have the Michael and Xscape albums and find listening to them difficult? Uncomfortable? Listening to the albums Michael released when he was alive, just make me feel like I am at home, with my slippers on. So comforting. But with the Posthumous albums, I just can't relax and feel the same about them as I just feel about the albums released when Michael was still with us. A) the vocals on posthumous albums may/maynot be Michael and b) the songs aren't as Michael would have released them. They weren't finished by him so they just don't sit right with me.

Does anyone get where I am coming from and feel the same? Am equally open to other opinions. Please don't shoot me, I have spent hours looking through forum and just can't seem to find the answer to exactly what I am asking.

I understand how you feel.
I'm going to ignore the Michael album because....well....Id rather discuss an album that actually has Michael's vocals on it. LOL.

Anyway, what I like about Xscape is that they included Michael's demo versions as well as the versions finished by others. Sometimes I feel guilty for listening because I feel that if Michael wanted us to hear these songs, he would have put them on an album.
But at the same time, we are his fans and just because Michael was taken from us, it doesn't mean we should have his beautiful creations taken from us as well. If anyone has a right to hear these songs it would be us. I don't listen to the album a lot but when I do, I try to just enjoy the music and his voice entirely.

Dutchie;4208920 said:
I'm going to ignore the Michael album because....well....Id rather discuss an album that actually has Michael's vocals on it. LOL.

Anyway, what I like about Xscape is that they included Michael's demo versions as well as the versions finished by others. Sometimes I feel guilty for listening because I feel that if Michael wanted us to hear these songs, he would have put them on an album.
But at the same time, we are his fans and just because Michael was taken from us, it doesn't mean we should have his beautiful creations taken from us as well. If anyone has a right to hear these songs it would be us. I don't listen to the album a lot but when I do, I try to just enjoy the music and his voice entirely.

I agree with you completely. I listen to Dangerous and Xscape all the time. Those are my favorite albums.

Xscape is a project that I supported a 1000%. It was a great idea to let other producers create a contemporary version of the demos. I listen more to those versions than the demos , really. Maybe because I’ve always wanted MJ to work with Timbaland I suppose.

Great album, great tracks. Pity that the estate dropped the project way too soon.

Xscape didn't sound like a Michael Jackson album and honestly has no real longevity in it's sound. Michael ironically sounded more like a MJ record but the songs are weak/not even him so it's a tough one. Neither album impresses me greatly, honestly.

I feel guilty too! I'm glad I'm not the only one. I must admit I listen to the demos more than the versions finished by others. You are right we should just enjoy what we have left. It is natural as a fan, to want to hear it I think.

I forgot to post in this thread here we go. When Michael first came out i was so excite could not wait to hear it when i heard that 3 fake tracks was on there i stop listening to it to me the cd was ruin. Michael's first cd should have been all Michael and no one else i am going to have my friend burn me a cd with the 7 songs on there that i love and add 3 more to replace the fake tracks. Xscape what can i say it awesome i love it thank god their left the demos on there that what really make the album for me i listen to it just about everyday. I love to hear the magic. I what to add Carousel,For All Time and Someone In The Dark oh another one for good measure You Can't Win. For the Michael album.

Wholeheartedly agree! I would rather hear the songs unfinished/raw first and foremost, with "finishing touches" by respected MJ associates added as a secondary feature.

I love your post you hit it on the head i agree to 100%.

where did stevie say that

I recently became huge MJ fan and am here to learn more about MJ.
For me, I like both album but I also understand how long time fan feels especially after reading all the conflicts with those who after MJ money....
It is so sad.

SmoothCriminal1995;4208474 said:
with BAD 25 I had no problem because it felt like it came from the heart and it was special.
I agree, but I must say it sucks how bad the remastering of the first disc & mastering of the 2nd disc (with originals, demos & remixes) turned out as all tracks sound distorted and loud. The only name I trust on MJs albums (past or posthumous) when it comes to remastering & mastering is Bernie Grundman.

In response to cats-whiskas:

Releasing any of MJs work should be the best of quality so I understand the frustration of getting “lackluster” releases. Bad 25 & Xscape were a step in the right direction from listening to the fans giving us originals & demos; we all have different taste though as I’d like to hear what experienced producers can do with the dated & unfinished songs in the vault and turn them into “golden tunes”.. LNFSG w/ JT for example sounded incredible like listening to OTW era MJ. All in all though, nothing will ever top what Michael officially released to us, but I’d say I’m quite comfortable & find releases like Xscape enjoyable!

Korlay;4210700 said:
Releasing any of MJs work should be the best of quality so I understand the frustration of getting “lackluster” releases. Bad 25 & Xscape were a step in the right direction from listening to the fans giving us originals & demos; we all have different taste though as I’d like to hear what experienced producers can do with the dated & unfinished songs in the vault and turn them into “golden tunes”.. LNFSG w/ JT for example sounded incredible like listening to OTW era MJ. All in all though, nothing will ever top what Michael officially released to us, but I’d say I’m quite comfortable & find releases like Xscape enjoyable!

I agree. Xscape was a great release. Love Never Felt So Good still gets airplay on Danish radios. - and the demos are great.

I hope very much that they will release the next new album like Xscape. A normal 1 disc edition with the new songs - contemporized. - and a special edition 2 disc with the demos as MJ left them - and maybe something extra.

Yes Xscape was great. Propably the best release with Bad 25 and Immortal CD

Back