Did Michael smoke?

Well, there's a photo of mj holding a cigarette (during bad era) so Idk if that was just for show or not. I heard they found marijuana in his home (Don't quote me on that, could be pure speculation). If he did smoke, I believe it would've been for medicinal uses.

I'm saying 100% No, he must've learned about it and he's very careful with his health. The cigarette he had I'm sure it was just a tease to give us a laugh. As for the marijuana at his property I believe it's a lie or those are just planted by that quack (whom shall be nameless) to make it look like it's Michael's, it's obvious it's his.

He tried marijuana a few times in the early 2000s with Frank Cascio IIRC, not finding an issue with it given it was a natural substance.

IIRC MJ had a rare lung issue that were more likely to affect smokers than non smokers revealed in his autopsy. To play the devils advocate here, that would explain the change in MJ's voice (roughness, horseness, croakyness and loss of range). Personally, I don't think he smoked.

same question was asked to Karen Faye on Twitter, she said that she didn't see him smoking.

Having absolutely no way to back up my answer I will still say - I do not think he smoked.

Like most adults he properbly tried it some times, but I do not imagine he would like it and since he was a dancer it could affect his condi - I do not think he would risk it.

Didn't Paris say he did when she was questioned about her own smoking?

Btw, the Bad photo... The cigarette wasn't lit lol.

IIRC MJ had a rare lung issue that were more likely to affect smokers than non smokers revealed in his autopsy. To play the devils advocate here, that would explain the change in MJ's voice (roughness, horseness, croakyness and loss of range). Personally, I don't think he smoked.

It wasnt rare at all. He had chronically inflamed lungs most likely caused by his lupus.. also i think it was plurisy (sp) mentioned many years ago aswell.

He also might have consumed the marijuana / Cannabis for medical reasons (sleep issues, appetite, pain) ... ?

It wasnt rare at all. He had chronically inflamed lungs most likely caused by his lupus.. also i think it was plurisy (sp) mentioned many years ago aswell.

Michael Jackson had respiratory bronchiolitis AND chronic inflammation of the lung (s). It's usually seen in smokers, btw. Nearly always, in fact.

"The occurrence of respiratory bronchiolitis in the absence of smoking is extremely uncommon, and its cause is unknown." - Source: https://radiopaedia.org/articles/respiratory-bronchiolitis

Also the police found two empty boxes of American Spirit cigarettes in Michael Jackson's master bedroom, and one quantity of cigarette papers.

I'm not saying he did or didn't, I'm just playing the devils advocate here

You only have do do a google to see that such an illness is also very common with lupus paitents.i guess whoever you quoted didnt do much research. Playing devils advocate is very boring.when there were no other issues such as blocked artaries (sp) etc etc .to assume the issue was caused by smoking when mj suffered with lupus.when theres no evidence mj was one is imo reaching but hey u got a reaction so i guess it worked. Carry on.

Last edited:
Wasn't there a story where Michael would send smokers across the road from Neverland because he hated it?

Also in the Bad 25 doco Joe Pytka said that Michael told him that the gang members smoking were bothering him.

I dont think he smoked during the bad era....im a smoker & i imitate the hell out of him yet i couldnt imagine smoking & doing 2hr shows every night or 2....its damn near impossible

Sent from my Galaxy Note 8 using Tapatalk

You only have do do a google to see that such an illness is also very common with lupus paitents.i guess whoever you quoted didnt do much research. Playing devils advocate is very boring.when there were no other issues such as blocked artaries (sp) etc etc .to assume the issue was caused by smoking when mj suffered with lupus.when theres no evidence mj was one is imo reaching but hey u got a reaction so i guess it worked. Carry on.

Who is assuming anything? I only presented you with facts. In all the articles that I read about Respitory Bronchities there was no mention of the illness being very common with lupus patients. If you can please show me a link or an article where it says so cause I haven't found any at all. There was also the cigarettes found in his master bedroom.

I don't understand why everyone is getting angry in here? Why can't people ask questions? Stay cool everyone. Peace and love x

Wasn't there a story where Michael would send smokers across the road from Neverland because he hated it?

Also in the Bad 25 doco Joe Pytka said that Michael told him that the gang members smoking were bothering him.

This is what came to my mind as well when I saw the thread. Pretty sure some of the staff used to go somewhere in particular and smoke where they knew they wouldn't be seen? Pretty sure that story came from somebody on this forum back in the day.

Who knows, maybe he had the occasional one in private or maybe he didn't. I would lean towards him not being a smoker myself as he was so conscious of his health etc.

What's this about Paris saying he did smoke? I've never heard that before. Source?

IDK peoples opinions on Frank Cascios book but he did mention marijuana with Mike.. That it was that Barry Gibb introduced Mike to weed on it's 'creative juices' it awakens. I think I remember a story of Frank convincing Michael to smoke with him on an occasion..

I thought he was anti drugs, alcohol and everything. The JW's ban it all, but I guess if people say he was smoking with the Cascios and Barry Gibb told him about "Inspiration" to write songs with - who knows. I would be disappointed, but then again it was his life and his choice. Michael had his own demons and his own conscience to bear.

I thought he was anti drugs, alcohol and everything. The JW's ban it all, but I guess if people say he was smoking with the Cascios and Barry Gibb told him about "Inspiration" to write songs with - who knows. I would be disappointed, but then again it was his life and his choice. Michael had his own demons and his own conscience to bear.

He gave up being a JW in the 80s, thankfully.
And Michael did drink alcohol. I dont know why people are clutching their pearls at the thought of that.

No, he had a wine cellar at his own house. Here's a picture:
The-Wine-Cellar-At-Neverland-Ranch-michael-jackson-33307165-500-300.jpg

Even would drink it in Diet Coke cans so his kids wouldn't notice. And yeah he smoked weed with Frank Cascio from time to time around the turn of the century. The hills of Neverland with their lovely sunset views would be a pretty dope place to smoke (pun ever-so-slightly intended).

He left the Jehovah's Witness in around '88 or so. They told Michael off for using a gun in the Smooth Criminal shoot and he pretty much was sick of them, so he left. Still religious man of course.

That wine cellar was there before Michael bought the property. The wine in the coke can story came straight from the tabloids, along with that 'Jesus Juice'...

Michael left the JW organisation in '86 of his own free will, before 'Smooth Criminal' was released. There was a press release around this time.

Michael was known for being clean living and wholesome and not the stereotypical rock star. He wasn't messing with groupies, taking recreational drugs (including alcohol), and apart from water balloon and pillow fights, he wasn't trashing hotel rooms. People couldn't even get him to curse. He was nicknamed 'Smelly' because that's the word he would use in place of 'funky' (he had no problem singing that word though!). He was being compared to the likes of E.T and Peter Pan long before he bought Neverland, and those were titles he wore with pride. He was a frequent visitor of Disneyland - to the point where he had a suite permanently reserved for him in his own name! Quincy referred to him as 'the last of the living innocents' and 'the purest product of America'. Listen to the Diane Collins and the unauthorised Hayvenhurst interview from '83; his art was largely inspired by children, animals and of course God.

Critics made fun of him for this and labelled him a goody-goody. This is why he changed his image with 'Bad' (which I wish he didn't). Yet despite this, he still remained a positive role model overall. Until 1993...

I think it's a shame that people use this time period as a definition of his character, or even his art. When it was just a series of tragic events that pushed him to breaking point. I think threads like these are part of a deeper issue within the fan community. Some are ashamed of who Michael really was, or at least how he presented himself. So much effort is put into trying to 'catch him out', or digging for clues to find things that aren't there... This is why they've created their own version of him. In their minds he's a deep voiced, profane, alcohol guzzling, muscular, macho, womaniser! Isn't it odd that these stories from so called friends only surfaced after he passed? This attempt to 'normalise' him is actually hurtful and insulting. It undermines him, and erases all that made him unique. I thought that fans of all people would love all the things that made him special. Guess I was wrong... :(

Back