Nickelodeon suspends "Loud House" creator after numerous harassment claims

PoP

Proud Member
Country
Canada
loudhouse_savino.jpg

Chris Savino, creator of Nickelodeon’s hit series The Loud House, was put on an immediate leave of absence last week, Cartoon Brew has learned exclusively.

The suspension follows extensive allegations of sexual harassment from employees at Nickelodeon against the 46-year-old animation industry veteran.

According to people within the studio, as many as a dozen women have come forward to accuse Savino of inappropriate behavior, ranging from unwanted sexual advances to threats of industry blacklisting after the end of consensual relationships with co-workers.
Rumors of Savino’s behavior date back at least a decade, and have followed him through multiple productions that he has worked on over the years.

Nickelodeon did not confirm that Savino was not currently at the studio. A Nickelodeon spokesperson told Cartoon Brew:

“Viacom is committed to the safety and well-being of our employees, and to fostering a workplace free from harassment. As a matter of policy, we do not comment on specific employee matters, but we take all allegations of this nature very seriously, investigate them thoroughly and take any necessary actions as a result.”

It is not known how Savino’s leave of absence from the show will affect the rest of the crew or production of the series, which follows the adventures of Lincoln Loud, a boy growing up in a family with 10 sisters.

The series has been a major ratings hit for the network. The Loud House has rivalled Nick’s rating juggernaut Spongebob Squarepants. Nick reported last December that Loud House was their number two series in the 2-11 demo, averaging 950K viewers per episode, slightly behind Spongebob’s 984K average.

Walker Farrell represents a new person making charges against Savino, in addition to the dozen women that we reported in the original story. She is the first woman to go public with her charges. The other women in the original report have been asked not to speak with the press as they are part of an active HR investigation at Nickelodeon.

Walker Farrell additionally gave this comment to Cartoon Brew:
"I think you can enjoy a show while still recognizing (and calling out!) bad behavior from its makers. It doesn’t bother me that people like Loud House, what infuriates me is Savino’s long-term predatory behavior. I hope Nickelodeon’s HR department and the animation community at large can come together to put an end to it."

An artist who requested anonymity has shared a story with Cartoon Brew about an earlier incident that involved Savino at Nickelodeon:
"This took place about 4 years ago. Chris [Savino] was working with the development program at Nickelodeon. A woman close to me had a project that was being developed under his supervision. He got her personal contact information under the guise of “helping her develop the project off hours.” He presented himself as a mentor. He then proceeded to send her unwanted text messages that were lewd and sexual in nature on more than one occasion. When she turned down his advances, her development project was let go. He is a classic case of a predatory male using his status and power over a female subordinate. As with most victims, she was worried of how speaking out against him would affect her career and no action was ever taken."

Source: Cartoonbrew.com

Last edited:
This is getting ridiculous. It seems like every day I am now hearing of a guy being accused of this. And these companies react with no proof whatsoever. I have seen very few people even consider that it could be a false accusation (in fact, all of the accusers are being called "brave").

Of course I am not saying that they are all lying, but it is so easy to accuse someone these days and have the accusation follow them their entire life. Just look at what Michael went through.

Well the article already said it isn’t a rumour and I’m not debunking anything, I just wish Nickelodeon shouldn’t suspended until the allegations are true or not. Savino’s not only one being accused of such allegations as a animated series creator, Skyler Page got the same deal a few years back shortly after his show he created “Clarence” premiered on Cartoon Network, he also worked on a few episodes of “Adventure Time”, they continue on with “Clarence” without, but my brother told me that the 3rd season will be the end of the series. I just hope “Loud House” can still continue on even with or without Savino, I loved the show since it premiered on YTV and rivaled Nickelodeon ratings with Spongebob.

Per story with allegations like this I can't really judge 100% because I don't know each story.. BUT!! sexual harassment & molestation have been a "Hollywood" secret (but not really a secret) for years on years. People have discussed this but never taken seriously until now..

I am glad the lid has been at least opened on this, I remember always hearing stories from entertainers saying they were harassed and it is a thing in Hollywood and the music industry and I always got frustrated on WHY doesn't anyone do anything about it?

They never take anything seriously, because they’re morons. I’ve watched Steve Wilkos, they go to him and took all this seriously there.

Back