D.S. (Audio)

valeryjackson

Proud Member

Released 1995
Recorded 1995
Genre Hard rock, R&B
Length 4:49

Facts:The song "D.S." included in the album contains lyrics about a cold man called Dom S. Sheldon, which, when sung, sounds similar to Thomas Sneddon. Some media sources, and Sneddon himself, believe the song is directed at him

Lyrics: They wanna get my ass
Dead or alive
You know he really tried to take me
Down by surpriseI bet he missioned with the CIA
He don't do half what he say

Dom Sheldon is a cold man

He out shock in every single way
He'll stop at nothing just to get his political say
He think he bad cause he's BSTA
I bet he never had a social life anyway
You think he brother with the KKK?
I know his mother never taught himright anyway
He want your vote just to remain TA.
He don't do half what he say

Dom S. Sheldon is a cold man

Does he send letters to the FBI?
Did he say to either do it or die?

I like the song and of course the sentiment fighting back in his own way against Sneddon. But at times I find it way over repetitive. It needed some more verses and a bridge I think.

The song is not bad, but not one of my favorites I must say.

Of course I can feel Michael's pain and it's nothing against him...

But what I wondered just from a legal point of view: Apart from all the stuff he sings about this "Dom Sheldon" ;), cleverly describing it with "you think he" / "I bet he"... wasn't the gunshot at the end a little bit too much / risky to get into serious legal trouble?

I mean, there might have been a possibility this "Dom Sheldon" could have seriously interpreted this as a possible death thread and even if Michael is such a sweet / kind person it's probably not too relieving this came from a million- / billionaire IYKWIM. :innocent:

In fact, in the ‘D.S.’ song, MJ sings ‘Tom Sneddon’, the actual name of that district attorney.

At one point, he even sings the full name (‘Thomas Sneddon’).

So, he does not sing ‘Dom Sheldon’.

But ‘Dom Sheldon’ is printed on the booklet, for obvious reasons (in order to avoid possible legal actions from that district attorney because of the song’s content).

I believe had the song been with a completely different lyrical theme, it would have had more appeal to his fans.

But, now with that particular theme aimed at that district attorney, the song becomes too specific & thus rather unappealing.

Also, an interesting thing about that song is that its recording sessions remain a mystery meaning virtually nothing came to light concerning that song’s sessions.

Of course I know the actual name (didn't you notice my twinkle ;)). But yeah would have been interesting with different lyrics.

I was rather interested in the gunshot thing mentioned though.

Remington Steele;4254948 said:
Of course I know the actual name (didn't you notice my twinkle ;)). But yeah would have been interesting with different lyrics.

I was rather interested in the gunshot thing mentioned though.

I know that you know the actual name.

My comment about the actual name was a general one.

But your question about the gunshot makes a lot of sense.

Actually, when I heard the song for the first time I thought the exact same thing like you (that the gunshot at the end was a little bit too much & perhaps risky for MJ to get into serious legal trouble).

No explanation was ever given from MJ’s campus (about the meaning of the gunshot), but many people have suggested over the years that it implied a death wish.

"(...)

The events surrounding allegations of sexual misconduct in 1993 would play a large part in the lyrical inspiration for many songs on HIStory. Jackson would explicitly touch on the emotional consequences of the extortion attempt throughout the album. One of the most overt references to the case itself would be found on the track D.S. worked on early during the HIStory sessions. It’s abundantly clear that the subject of the track was late district attorney Tom Sneddon, a man who led the 1993 investigation and attempted to prosecute Jackson in 2003. Sneddon’s tireless pursuit of prosecuting Jackson, despite the evidence saying otherwise became somewhat of a personal crusade. Michael references this throughout the song with a powerful sentiment.

“They wanna get my ass dead or alive,
You know he really tried to take me down by surprise,
I bet he missioned with the CIA,
He don’t do half what he say.”

Hoffman discussed the development of the song lyrically, “I do recall that the song initially started out as a set of initials before there was any vocals — the initials were in place early on. As the lyrics came out, I do recall Bruce Swedien trying to be a voice of reason and guide Michael towards the right decision.” Jackson would sample a drum break from English rock band Yes’ 1983 single, Owner Of A Lonely Heart. Slash would once again work with Michael on this project, contributing the guitar solo featured on the bridge coupled with a synthesizer solo by Larry Williams. Williams recollected on the experience, “I played the Roland VP-70 solo on the track with Slash — I think it was D.S. I played the solo in an hour.” Buxer would also contribute on D.S. playing keys, he recollected on the experience. “I was sitting at the keyboard with Michael who was writing everything and I was just executing it.” Like others working on the session, Brad was becoming aware of the subject matter of the song as Jackson continued to develop the lyrics. He recollects, “When I realised what the song was becoming I never mentioned it because it was none of my business… I don’t think Michael tried to send a message to anybody: he did the song because he was upset. I don’t think he was overthinking this. He just did his own thing about it: write a song.” Jackson was passionate about his art and it’s logical that he would use this outlet as an expression for his thoughts and feelings, as evidenced on D.S. and the entire project.

(...)"

https://medium.com/@lucascava/michael-jacksons-history-an-essay-7d26985524c7

Last edited:
I've always wondered what that sound at the very beginning of the song was. It sounds like a smurf getting choked. :unsure:

Back