Bad (Official video)

valeryjackson

Proud Member

"Bad" was released by Epic Records in 1987 as the second single from Jackson's third major-label and seventh studio album of the same name. The song was written and composed by Jackson and co-produced by Quincy Jones and Jackson. Jackson stated that the song was influenced by a real-life story he had read about.

Michael talking about bad: "'Bad' is a song about the street. It's about this kid from a bad neighborhood who gets to go away to a private school. He comes back to the old neighborhood when he's on a break from school and the kids from the neighborhood start giving him trouble. He sings, 'I'm bad, you're bad, who's bad, who's the best?' He's saying when you're strong and good, then you're bad."

In a 1988 interview with Ebony and Jet magazines, Jackson said that he had gotten the idea for the song from a true story that he had read about in Time or Newsweek magazine.[4] Jackson stated that the story said that a student that went to school in upstate New York, who was "from the ghetto", had tried to make something of his life and planned to leave all of his friends behind when he returned from Thanksgiving break.[4] He added that the student's friends' jealousy resulted in them killing the student; Jackson stated that the student's death was not included in the music video.[4] The only case that fits these details is that of Edmund Perry. However, Perry was not killed by kids in his neighborhood; he was killed by a plainclothes police officer when Perry and his brother allegedly attacked and badly beat the officer in a mugging attempt

Music video: The full music video for "Bad" is an 18-minute short film written by novelist and screenwriter Richard Price and directed by Martin Scorsese in a 6-week period during November and December 1986.[47][48] The video has many references to the 1961 film West Side Story, especially the "Cool" sequence.[49] The music video to the song used a different version of the song as opposed to the commercially released version. This version, using a different organ solo in the middle, hasn't been commercially released as of yet.

Composition: The song is written in the key of A Minor with a time signature in common time.[7] Jackson's vocal range spans from G3 to C6.[7] The track has a tempo of 114 beats per minute.[7] "Bad" was viewed as a rived "Hit the Road Jack" progression.[8] Davitt Sigerson, a writer for Rolling Stone magazine, commented on the track's lyrical content while reviewing Bad, "When Jackson declares that 'the whole world has to answer right now,' he is not boasting but making a statement of fact regarding his extraordinary stardom. If anything, he is scorning the self-coronation of lesser funk royals and inviting his fickle public to spurn him if it dare."[8] Sigerson compared the track to material by James Brown, whose "It's a Man's Man's Man's World" is openly referenced by the four chromatic note brass introduction to the song.[8] Lyrically, "Bad" pertains to proving to people that you are tough boasting, with Jackson asking "who's bad?"[8] in a repeating lyric in the song's chorus.

Lyrics: Your butt is mine
Gonna tell you right
Just show your face
In broad daylight
I'm telling you
On how I feel
Gonna hurt your mind
Don't shoot to kill
Come on, come on,
Lay it on me
All right...

I'm giving you
On count of three
To show your stuff
Or let it be...
I'm telling you
Just watch your mouth
I know your game
What you're about

Well they say the sky's the limit
And to me that's really true
But my friend you have seen nothing
Just wait 'til I get through...

Because I'm bad, I'm bad - come on
(Bad bad - really, really bad)
You know I'm bad, I'm bad - you know it
You know I'm bad, I'm bad - come on, you know
And the whole world has to
Answer right now
Just to tell you once again,
Who's bad...

The word is out
You're doin' wrong
Gonna lock you up
Before too long,
Your lyin' eyes
Gonna tell you right
So listen up
Don't make a fight,
Your talk is cheap
You're not a man
You're throwin' stones
To hide your hands

But they say the sky's the limit
And to me that's really true
But my friend you have seen nothing
Just wait 'til I get through...

You know I'm bad, I'm bad - you know it, you know
And the whole world has to answer right now
(And the whole world has to answer right now)
Just to tell you once again,
(Just to tell you once again)
Who's bad...

We can change the world tomorrow
This could be a better place
If you don't like what I'm sayin'
Then won't you slap my face..

You know I'm bad, I'm bad - you know it, you know
Woo! Woo! Woo!
(And the whole world has to answer right now
Just to tell you once again...)

You know I'm bad, I'm bad - come on
You know I'm bad, I'm bad - you know it - you know it
You know, you know, you know - come on
Just to tell you

You know I'm smooth - I'm Bad - you know it
You know I'm bad - I'm bad baby
You know, you know, you know it - come on
Woo!

You know I'm bad - you know - hoo!
You know I'm bad - I'm bad - you know it, you know
Just to tell you once again...
Who's bad?

if only we could get a remastered version of this and the other videos from the BAD album.
As they look today the quality is pretty poor....imagine if we would get remastered like the short Clips shown in the BAD25 documentary,there the quality is amazing

Back