Human nature

valeryjackson

Proud Member

The lyrics describe a conversation composer Steve Porcaro had with his young daughter after a hard day at school.
The first version of "Human Nature" was written and composed for Michael Jackson by Steve Porcaro of Toto. Porcaro recorded a rough demo of the song on a cassette.[3] He had written the song after his first-grade daughter came home crying because a boy pushed her off the slide. He blurted out three reasons for the incident to comfort her: one, the boy liked her, two, people can be strange and three, it's human nature.

Live performance: The song was first performed during the Jacksons' Victory Tour. Michael started to sing "Ben", but stopped and proceeded to sing "Human Nature". It was also performed during Michael's Bad World Tour and Dangerous World Tour. Jackson also performed the song live during his 1996 Royal Brunei concert. It was going to be performed for Jackson's This Is It concerts, but they were cancelled due to his death, however it was included on the posthumous album to coincide with the concerts. Live versions of the song are available on the DVDs Live at Wembley July 16, 1988 and Live in Bucharest: The Dangerous Tour.

Lyrics:
Looking out
Across the night-time
The city winks a sleepless eye
Hear her voice
Shake my window
Sweet seducing sighs

Get me out
Into the night-time
Four walls won't hold me tonight
If this town
Is just an apple
Then let me take a bite

If they say, "Why? Why?"
Tell 'em that is human nature
Why, why does he do it that way?
If they say, "Why? Why?"

Reaching out
To touch a stranger
Electric eyes are everywhere
See that girl
She knows I'm watching
She likes the way I stare

If they say, "Why? Why?"
Just tell 'em that is human nature
If they say, "Why? Why?"
(Do you really like me to be around?)
I like livin' this way
I like lovin' this way

That way (The way it was.)
That way (The way it was.)

Looking out
Across the morning
The city's heart begins to beat
Reaching out
I touch her shoulder
I'm dreaming of the street

If they say, "Why? Why?"
If they say, "Why? Why?"
(Just tell me you like me to be around.)
Ooh, tell 'em

If they say, "Why? Why?"

If they say, "Why? Why?"
Ooh, tell 'em

And they say, "Why? Why?"
Ooh, tell 'em

They say, "Why? Why?"
I like livin' this way

The way
The way

it would be interesting to learn how John bettis rewrote the lyrics to relate to michael.

I interpret them to be about him finding wonder in things that non celebrities take for granted. such as being able to walk the streets freely. the verses list his various observations and feelings whilst traveling. as a curious outsider willing to learn, he continues to ask 'why'?' the way a child would question their parent. I feel this song (and a few others) express his innocent childlike quality.

this is one of my favourite songs ever, and i'm not even into ballads! I think it's because aside from the lyrics, I find it to be musically interesting. A kaleidoscope of sunny spells ?Michael remotes a tender vocal. It sounds like he actually cries 'why?!'

all of these elements combine to create a vivid experience ?

Not to be a negative Nelly, but am I the only one who thinks this song is a little weak? I mean, it's decent, but it just never strikes me that much, you know? It's the low point of Thriller for me.

Human Nature brings the magic to those who have sensitivity in their heart. I love it!

Cool story thanks for sharing and yes, I love Human nature. It’s one of those Magical songs that lends perfectly to Michael’s voice and it feels like a breeze in live shows. :blush:

I really wish the animation was fleshed out as an official video to go with single during its original time. it complimented the song nicely :)

Back