"Who is it" what could this song be about ?

holmi

Proud Member
It's one of my favorite song...

Michael once said “whatever I sing, that’s what I really mean. like, I’m singing a song, I don’t sing it if I don’t mean it.”, this was so important to him that he even quoted himself saying this as a child in his “HIStory” song.

My point is that there is very little chance that “Who is it” was written by Michael as a love song, especially when knowing the love stories Michael had in his life…

Now, we can notice the melody of “who is it” pre-chorus (“she promised me forever a day we would live as one, we made our vows we would live a life anew”) is the same as “price of fame” song pre-chorus (“father always told me you won’t live a quiet life if you’re reaching for fortune and fame”)

note also that “price of fame” was about the counterparts of success, and was meant to appear on “Bad” album, which Michael expected to oversell his previous “Thriller” album…. “Who is it” is about doubts and disappointment and was recorded for the album that just came after “Bad”…

so my bet is that behind the lyrics, Michael is singing about fame, not about a girl…

Whitney Houston...

the two weeks romance related by a bodyguard that claims to be the biological father of Blanket ?

maybe... some parts of the lyrics are pretty well matching like if Whitney told Michael she had a love with someone in the past (Jermaine) she didn't want reveal who it was ("is it a friend of mine? is it my brother?)... some parts are not, like "I gave her money, I gave her time" (Whitney Houston, two weeks...)...

I think the message of an artist is driven by its emotions, and then traduced into melody... this is why I think "who is it" and "price of fame" are sharing more than a piece of melody...

when I listen to "who is it", I feel like Michael is expressing something that is much more introspective than just a sad love song... don't you think ?

Think about the words of the chorus, then relate it to Whitney

For those who didn't know Whitney and Jermaine had an affair

The song is about duplicity. Which means deceitfulness; double-dealing.

deceitfulness in speech or conduct, as by speaking or acting in two different ways to different people concerning the same matter; double-dealing.

Duplicity is the form of deceitfulness that leads one to give two impressions, either or both of which may be false.

Kind of makes me wonder why Michael sang the song to Oprah. As if he knew something that we didn't. HIStory proves otherwise, as in to prove a point.
And Oprah proved she double dealt Michael!

holmi;4212260 said:
It's one of my favorite song...

Michael once said “whatever I sing, that’s what I really mean. like, I’m singing a song, I don’t sing it if I don’t mean it.”, this was so important to him that he even quoted himself saying this as a child in his “HIStory” song.

My point is that there is very little chance that “Who is it” was written by Michael as a love song, especially when knowing the love stories Michael had in his life…

Now, we can notice the melody of “who is it” pre-chorus (“she promised me forever a day we would live as one, we made our vows we would live a life anew”) is the same as “price of fame” song pre-chorus (“father always told me you won’t live a quiet life if you’re reaching for fortune and fame”)

note also that “price of fame” was about the counterparts of success, and was meant to appear on “Bad” album, which Michael expected to oversell his previous “Thriller” album…. “Who is it” is about doubts and disappointment and was recorded for the album that just came after “Bad”…

so my bet is that behind the lyrics, Michael is singing about fame, not about a girl…

When Michael said that quote about "..I dont' sing it if I don't mean it.." that was not a literal statement, more so a figure of speech expressing that he steps into a song and lives it.. He was a pre teen singing about things he's never experienced but sang it like he lived it.. (stepping into a song)..

Of course the song could not be a literal representation of a specific relationship - but the lyrics to me def. seem to be about a woman.. Not fame! Michael often had themes in songs about untrustworthy women. (Billie Jean, Dirty Diana, Dangerous, Who Is It, Blood On The Dance Floor, This Place Hotel, Chicago, Give Into Me..etc.)

That said, it's not a far stretch to think Who Is It is about an untrustworthy woman!

you guys literally try and read into everything lol every thing is not that deep. its about a cheating hoe. thats it.

When Michael said that quote about "..I dont' sing it if I don't mean it.." that was not a literal statement, more so a figure of speech expressing that he steps into a song and lives it.. He was a pre teen singing about things he's never experienced but sang it like he lived it.. (stepping into a song)..

Of course the song could not be a literal representation of a specific relationship - but the lyrics to me def. seem to be about a woman.. Not fame! Michael often had themes in songs about untrustworthy women. (Billie Jean, Dirty Diana, Dangerous, Who Is It, Blood On The Dance Floor, This Place Hotel, Chicago, Give Into Me..etc.)

That said, it's not a far stretch to think Who Is It is about an untrustworthy woman!

I agree with you it is about a woman she wanted more then What Michael could give her she was leading a secret life and when she try to come back it was too late Michael was gone.

you guys literally try and read into everything lol every thing is not that deep. its about a cheating hoe. thats it.

tenor.gif

Back