Michael Jackson`s estate files trademark for museum

Annita

Proud Member
Hopefully they can do it with Hayvenhurst

Michael Jackson's estate files trademark for museum
http://www.music-news.com/news/UK/109439/Michael-Jackson-s-estate-files-trademark-for-museum

Michael Jackson's estate has filed a trademark application for the phrase "Neverland Ranch" for a number of entertainment services, including a museum.

Executives at Triumph International, the company which handles intellectual property for the Michael Jackson estate, filed an application with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office on 30 October (17) for "Neverland Ranch" - the name of the late King of Pop's sprawling estate in California.

In the application, they list a series of entertainment services they intend to use the trademark for, including "operating museum and providing guided tours of the museum" and "non-downloadable musical performances, musical videos, film clips, photographs and other multimedia materials featuring music and/or visual representations of Michael Jackson."

A source close to the estate has told The Blast that a museum has been discussed for some time and they are simply beginning the process of securing a name before they move ahead with any possible plans.

The actual Neverland Ranch, which is co-owned by the estate and a private equity firm, is reportedly not being considered as the site for the museum, but elements of the ranch's design will be incorporated into the project.

Other entertainment services listed under the Neverland Ranch application include "an ongoing series featuring music and dance", "entertainment in the nature of a continuing television drama series" as well as a comedy series and television news show, "magazine publication services", fan club services, educational services such as classes and workshops, and recreational facilities such as art exhibitions and dance schools.

Jackson bought the property in 1988 and sold it to Colony Capital before to his death in 2009. The estate, which boasted a zoo, amusement park, two railroads and cinema, is said to have fallen into disrepair. The ranch, now called Sycamore Valley Ranch, went on the market for $100 million (£76 million) in 2016 but the price has since been dropped to $67 million (£51 million).

Jackson bought the property in 1988 and sold it to Colony Capital before to his death in 2009. The estate, which boasted a zoo, amusement park, two railroads and cinema, is said to have fallen into disrepair. The ranch, now called Sycamore Valley Ranch, went on the market for $100 million (£76 million) in 2016 but the price has since been dropped to $67 million (£51 million).

I don't know why all the recent stories said Neverland is falling into disrepair, since Colony spent millions fixing it up and maintaining it and even have parties/events there.
Think the Estate should trade mark the name "Hayvenhurst" as well, if they haven't already.

I wonder what the UK/ European implications are? You would think that in the UK, 'Neverland' might be trademarked to JM Barrie and his Estate etc., with regards to entertainment series. I wonder if 'Neverland Ranch' is sufficiently different? (But I have no idea if the word 'Neverland' is indeed trademarked in the UK or Europe).

Edit:
Found some information on that:
What can and can't be trademarked is complicated, but there aren't a lot of trademark rights to be found in Neverland. The name Neverland has been in generic use for so long that it'd be hard to enforce as a trademark.

http://neverpedia.com/pan/Ownership_of_the_Peter_Pan_works

Last edited:
Intresting news. Not sure why u would trademark the nevvy name interms of it being used for a museum though if u arent actually going to use thee neverland ranch. I guess they are just copy righting everything related like they did a while back when something similar happened

i hope the keep the original Neverland as a museum , i will be the happies man in the world if i touch NEverlands LAND

While the museum will remember the legacy of Jackson and his beloved home, the singer’s estate is looking for new real estate instead of the ranch’s original location in Santa Barbara County, California. Nevertheless, the museum will reportedly incorporate aspects of the old estate, including the front gates and design aesthetic.

https://www.vibe.com/2017/11/michael-jacksons-neverland-ranch-museum/

portail-de-neverland.jpg

This ist from the Q&A-session the Estate did:

Why isn’t Neverland open to the public?

Neverland unfortunately cannot be open for public visitation. We wish it could. Its location and the applicable zoning regulations prohibit opening it up to the public. During his lifetime, Michael explored this possibility and was faced with the fact that it could not be done.

Why is the Estate selling Neverland and not keeping it for Michael’s children?

Neverland is managed and controlled by Colony Capital, not by the Estate. This is based on a contract Michael signed in 2008. We did explore with Colony Capital a number of potential options for Neverland, including donating it to the State of California to be preserved for historical purposes and special events, but none proved feasible and ultimately Colony decided to sell the property. Neverland has always been and will continue to be a very expensive property to maintain. Thus, without any viable option to generate income from the property, Colony’s decision to find a buyer is understandable and it is the same reason that the Estate cannot purchase the property. We trust that any new owners will respect the historical importance and special nature of this wonderful property.

We also think it is important to keep in mind that as magical and beautiful a place as Neverland was during the years Michael lived there, it was not his home for the last few years of his life and he publicly stated that it would not be his home again. Michael’s music, vision and messages remain ever present with us – the artist, the creative genius and the caring human being with an unparalleled passion for the planet and the people who inhabit it. This will continue to be immortal and inspire generations to come.

Is there going to be a permanent Michael Jackson museum?

We do hope that there will be a Michael Jackson Museum. We have and will continue to explore that possibility. We are also researching the possibility that the Hayvenhurst property could be opened for limited public tours and we are optimistic about this possibility. While this is not imminent, it is something we would like to accomplish.

https://www.michaeljackson.com/michael-jackson-faq/

Last edited:
The registristration was only a re-registration, but anyway the hope and Goal is given for a futere Museum in Hayvenhurst according from the Q&A-session

It’s the same trademark the Estate has had on file (along with many others for this and other marks) since 2009. If a certain amount goes by, the trademark office requires a refiling if there has been no actual use of the mark. That’s all this is.

MJOnline, The Official Online Team of The Michael Jackson Estate™

Hayvenhurst would be perfect for a museum the fans need another place to go. I like the the name Neverland we are never going to get that chance to see the real one now. I would love to see this happen.

Back