The way you make me feel

Rock with you33

Proud Member
What makes the Bad album so timeless, however, is the way Jackson was able to compliment this technological innovation with more organic, soulful qualities. In "The Way You Make Me Feel," for example, the relentless steel-shuffling motion of the beatis juxtaposed with all kinds of natural, improvisational qualities that give the song its charm: the vocal ad libs, the finger snapping, the blues harmonies, the percussive grunts and gasps, the exclamations.

What does the: the relentless steel-shuffling motion of the beat means?

The underlying drum beat known as a shuffle rhythm. It's very tough to play well

In The Way You Make Me Feel it's the dum dum aa dum dum aa dum dum that drives the entire song

Imo The Way You Make Me Feel is MJ's most accessible song ever. I feel like that's a song that everybody can listen to despite their genre bias. It would have been a hit today as it was when it was released if the song was released today.

Themidwestcowboy;4212960 said:
It would have been a hit today as it was when it was released if the song was released today.

I am afraid not.

Sonically speaking, ‘The Way You Make Feel’ sounds a bit outdated these days (as it is the case with most songs from that album).

SmoothCriminal1995;4212933 said:
The underlying drum beat known as a shuffle rhythm.

That shuffle rhythm (in ‘The Way You Make Feel’) sounds almost identical to the one from ‘Everybody Wants To Rule The World’ (by Tears For Fears) which was released two years earlier.

mj_frenzy;4212967 said:
I am afraid not.

Sonically speaking, ‘The Way You Make Feel’ sounds a bit outdated these days (as it is the case with most songs from that album).

Well so does uptown funk, and treasure and get lucky and Can't stop the feeling etc etc so what's your point? The melody and the rhythm and the harmonies are so infectious and catchy in itself. A lot of those 80's synths and big dry drums and electric basslines has returned to the mainstream.

TWYMMF always fills a dance floor. Sometimes more than Billie Jean. I don't think the question is ''Does TWYMMF stand up the music of today'', I think the real question should be ''Does the music of today stand up to TWYMMF?'' - Same thing goes for the rest of MJ's songs

Any MJ song stands the test of time because of the rhythm... Go to the store and see when people in the isles start bobbing heads, or tapping fingers on the cart.. it's when Michael plays.. Same with the dance floor, his music is infectious. No one can help but to move!! On top of that, everyone (without sometimes knowing) tries channeling the inner Michael.. His moves come out from people you would never guess know a thing about Michael .

Themidwestcowboy;4213009 said:
Well so does uptown funk, and treasure and get lucky and Can't stop the feeling etc etc so what's your point? The melody and the rhythm and the harmonies are so infectious and catchy in itself. A lot of those 80's synths and big dry drums and electric basslines has returned to the mainstream.

I agree about their catchiness & their strong melodies/rhythms.

But, unless these songs are flavored with modern sounding musical elements (by, for example, being remixed) or even with guest vocals from top current artists, it is quite impossible for them (including ‘The Way You Make Me Feel’) to achieve today big mainstream chart success as they did when they were firstly released.

TWYMMF always fills a dance floor. Sometimes more than Billie Jean. I don't think the question is ''Does TWYMMF stand up the music of today'', I think the real question should be ''Does the music of today stand up to TWYMMF?'' - Same thing goes for the rest of MJ's songs

Sorry to derail the tread a little, but I love how you worded that. I feel the same

They wrote it as a bad thing: the relentless steel-shuffling motion of the beatis
Why is that bad?

I don't psychoanalyse the song, just enjoy it. It has a very funky musical abckinga nd compels you (or me at least) to dance and sing, the song is a huge pick me up for myself and it is my favourite Michael Jackson song. I just love it, the singing, the dancing in the video, the aows, hee hees and the whole cocksure atitude he puts into it. It is one of his most catchiest and commercial songs, but it is also perfect pop and sums up MJ so well.

If I am ever introducing new people to the music of Michael Jackson I will always play them this song and then Beat It and Billie Jean, if that does not make then a fan, then nothing will. It just knocks me offa my feet, my lonely days are gone....

^ I personally always play songs that are more so down which songs fit the "type" of music I know the person to like.. His music is so diverse that there is at least A song that anyone would like.

I knew of someone that hated all the "popular" songs but I knew that he listened to a type of smooth rock and I played "Give Into Me" and he loved it.. Just as an example!

Back