If Thriller Had a 10th Track....

Vega

Proud Member
What you pick from the outtakes and unreleased songs recorded for the album?

Niteline

Carousel

Hot Street

Slapstick

Trouble

and

Behind The Mask

In terms of what could've made it: I'm adamant Nite Line would've made the lineup. Carousel, although (from what I've heard) was the last track to get cut while almost being included. The song itself seems too ridiculous and corny to be on the track listing. Alas, 'Nite Line' seems like the perfect blend of Early 80's 'Breakout Star' MJ, a Catchy Title and Tune, and a Perfect 'Retro 80's' Feel.

And for me personally, I wouldn't have included anything else. 9 was perfect. 'Thriller', for many, was like catching lightning in a bottle.

Behind The Mask. I really think the rest of the thriller outtakes are rather weak

The only version of "Behind The Mask" I know is the one on the "Michael" album and the production grates on my nerves. If it was produced in the "Thriller" style it would work. "Thriller" was perfect as it was. 9 Tracks. 9 Gems.

Hot Street, a good bop that sounds better then some of the tracks on the album

I'd go with Carousel, I like the others but it is the most fitting song to the feel of Thriller. Behind The Mask to me would fit most on Bad if any album just by the feel of it.

If I were to guess which song they go with, it would be carousel..

As much as I like behind the mask - carousel fits the sound of thriller much more..

How am I just finding out about this section of the board?!

'Hot Street' is the only song that matches the quality and style of the 7 singles. Yet at best, I can see it as a b side to 'Billie Jean'. As much as I'm not into 'Baby Be Mine' and 'Lady In My Life', messing with the tracklist in the slightest ruins the flow.

I personally would be happy with a flawless collection of just the 7 singles.

I think the album was fine with 9 songs, but if I was forced to add one, it'd be "Carousel". As others have said, it does fit the sound of Thriller more than the other outtakes that have been leaked/released. Makes sense, since it was replaced near the album's completion by "Human Nature".

Either Behind The Mask or Nite Line. Although I love all of the Thriller outtakes these two are the only ones I think would fit into the Thriller album.

And for me personally, I wouldn't have included anything else. 9 was perfect. 'Thriller', for many, was like catching lightning in a bottle.

Interesting way of putting it, but I think I agree. (Mostly).

Behind The Mask. I really think the rest of the thriller outtakes are rather weak

Yes, if I was adding another song, it would definitely be "Behind the Mask".

I have not heard Slapstick, Trouble or Nite Line.

Nite Line. It's not the greatest song, but it's a sweet little song and it had that early 80s sound which would fitted perfectly on the Thriller album.

I'd leave the track listing alone. 9 is fine, but I would have included the full version of Lady In My Life.

Cool thread that needs to be bumped lol
I would chose Carousel as I think it’s such a sweet song and it’s got that 80’s feel. I love the story too. It’s one of those sugar sweet songs of people from different worlds as she’s from a world of popcorn and candy lol
though I really love Behind the mask I think it fits the Michael album better.
‘I agree with the song of lady in my life should have been the demo or the version with more lyrics in it.

I think Thriller was perfect with 9 tracks. If anything I would have replaced Baby Be Mine with Carousel or Behind The Mask. But other than that it's just an album of hits for me and adding one of the outtakes would have made it just a little weaker over all. I think the song choice on Thriller is almost 100% spot on from the unreleased stuff we know of.

Niteline! Such a great song.

Behind The Mask probably too.
I hope we ever get to hear the untouched original version. (The "update" mess on the Michael album is unforgiveable.)

Thriller was originally a 10 track album! The "missing" tenth track was Hot Street which can be found on a very, very rare first LP master (done by Bernie Grundman at Allen Zentz MAstering in November 1982). The problem with this test LP was its odd sound due to its (inappropriate) extended play time on both sides.

Thriller was originally a 10 track album! The "missing" tenth track was Hot Street which can be found on a very, very rare first LP master (done by Bernie Grundman at Allen Zentz MAstering in November 1982). The problem with this test LP was its odd sound due to its (inappropriate) extended play time on both sides.

Really?! You got any pictures?

i always wondered why 'hot street' wasn't remixed and released posthumously, the way that 'love never felt so good' was? it wasn't even added to 'the ultimate collection' or 'thriller 25'. compared to most of the outtakes/demos lying around, I think it has the most hit potential. that being said, I can't imagine it being a closer for 'thriller'.. does anyone know the link between this and 'slapstick'? some say that 'slapstick' was a demo for 'hot street', but his vocals sound so much more complete and energised than on 'hot street'. could it be the other way around?

Isn’t For All Time a Thriller outtake? If so that gets my vote, probably in my all time top 5 MJ tracks. Reminds me a bit of Human Nature though so can see why it wasn’t on the album.

Wanna be startin' a convo;4253385 said:
Isn’t For All Time a Thriller outtake? If so that gets my vote, probably in my all time top 5 MJ tracks. Reminds me a bit of Human Nature though so can see why it wasn’t on the album.

No, it's a Dangerous outtake. It was also written by Steve Pocaro so that's why it's remimiscent of Human Nature

flamyyy;4253400 said:
No, it's a Dangerous outtake. It was also written by Steve Pocaro so that's why it's remimiscent of Human Nature

Hmm ok. Vocals sound more like early 80 Michael and it’s included on Thriller 25 (Super Deluxe Edition).

Just looked it up... on Wikipedia it says that it was recorded through both the Thriller and Dangerous sessions, I presume it wasn’t in its current state for the Thriller release.

In that case I’d take Carousel.

Back