Thread: Book recommendation: "A No-Nonsense Guide To Vitiligo" by Yan Valle (released Nov 2017)

Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 103
    Overall activity: 47.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks

Default Book recommendation: "A No-Nonsense Guide To Vitiligo" by Yan Valle (released Nov 2017)

Hey everyone

I'd like to recommend a book that I've just finished reading.
    It's called "A No-Nonsense Guide to Vitiligo" and was released only recently. The author is Yan Valle, CEO of the Vitiligo Research Foundation.

upload pic

Ever since I was aware that Michael was affected by vitiligo I made it my goal to educate people. You all know, of course, how he was treated because of his skin condition and because people did not believe him.

This is the first book I came across that is both interesting and accessible. While there are some rather medical chapters, the author encourages the reader to skip those if they become too technical.
    All in all it is a very good summary of the various forms of vitiligo and the treatments available. The chapter on psychological effects could be a lot more detailed but as this book is mainly aimed for those affected and for those seeking practical information, this approach is understandable.

While I knew quite a lot about vitiligo already, this book helped me understand Michael more and it helped me see vitiligo as an all-encompassing condition. All the things he had to cope with, the regular treatments, side-effects such as a faster aging skin, a higher risk for various diseases, insomnia, low self-esteem etc.
    We can only assume the pain and suffering he had to go through. And normally you should live a very disciplined life when you're affected by vitiligo, which means a regular daily routine, enough sleep, no stress - all of which he couldn't have.

So, if you're interested in vitiligo or if you'd like to have a guide book at hand that helps you convince other people, I think this is the book to go to.

Michael is mentioned 2 times in the book. Once at the beginning in the first chapter where the author describes the rising interest in vitiligo once the police evidence photos of Michael's bedroom (showing various bleaching creams) became public.
    The second time he is mentioned in the chapter 'depigmentation' (which is the last resort for vitiligo patients if vitiligo has affected large parts of the body or if the body doesn't respond to any other treatment). There, the author describes that Michael was criticized for 'becoming white', making clear that he couldn't help it and that it is more a matter of becoming translucent than white (that's an important point when you think about cultural identification).
    He also says that fans criticized him for turning white when his skin became brighter (which I don't agree with - while there might've been some fans who did that, it was the media who said he was a freak), but I think you can neglect that sentence as the whole demeanor towards him is positive and not in any way judgemental.

Here's the Amazon US Link: https://www.amazon.com/No-Nonsense-G...sap_bc?ie=UTF8
    Last edited by maja; 05-12-2017 at 05:31 PM.
    Music, in the precision of its form and the mathematical tyranny of its laws, escapes into an eternity of abstraction and an absurd sublime that is everywhere and nowhere at once.
    - Stephen Fry

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to maja For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 765
    Overall activity: 74.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,596 Times in 1,686 Posts

Default Re: Book recommendation: "A No-Nonsense Guide To Vitiligo" by Yan Valle (released Nov 2017)

Thanks for the share!
    **He lives forever within us**

Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 507
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Three Friends10000 Experience PointsVeteranTagger First Class

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,131 Times in 1,607 Posts

Default Re: Book recommendation: "A No-Nonsense Guide To Vitiligo" by Yan Valle (released Nov 2017)

Thanks! Will add this to my list >)

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

No problem Hope you'll like it too!
    Music, in the precision of its form and the mathematical tyranny of its laws, escapes into an eternity of abstraction and an absurd sublime that is everywhere and nowhere at once.
    - Stephen Fry

Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 25
    Overall activity: 27.0%
    Achievements:
    100 Experience Points31 days registered
    Level
    Thanks

Just take a look at Vitiligo itself it is so hard to handle in one person's life.
    Imagine how many obstacles (Vitiligo, allegations, betray, Pepsi burnt etc) did Michael has to cope with....

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Applehead28 For This Useful Post:

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

Yes, that's why I'm so interested in educating people about it. It is hard even when you're a 'normal' person because it involves a lot of discipline in your daily routine etc. Michael never had that and he had the eyes of the world on him, watching his every move. No one can imagine how that must've felt, along with all the other obstacles you mentioned.
    - Stephen Fry