What's the Most Overrated MJ Album?

Which One?

• Total voters

Olodum

Proud Member
Michigan; the piece of Canada that fell off and la
Dunno about you guys, but here's my vote:

dangerous-588c92285a165.jpg

I'm undoubtedly going to be in the minority here, but... Off the Wall.

Dunno about you guys, but here's my vote:

dangerous-588c92285a165.jpg

Dangerous overrated? Mi gaddoooo!

I vote for Thriller. Not because it is bad, but purely because the general public focuses on Thriller and nothing else.

Dangerous??? Like the Michael Jackson album released in November 1991???

Each to their own but damn

I also think OTW is overrated from critiques when you compare it to Dangerous and History.

Dangerous??? Like the Michael Jackson album released in November 1991???

Each to their own but damn

OH YES, MY FELLOW STANS! :yes:
l_d9dc61b6c4f042928cec329e67873e26.gif

'That' Dangerous album from 1991, is overrated to the max. I still love it though. Some of my favorite MJ Songs are on there.

I vote for Thriller. Not because it is bad, but purely because the general public focuses on Thriller and nothing else.

I agree with this sentiment one-hundred percent. However, I can definitely understand why the "general public" is still fixated on it. When you have game changing medleys like 'Thriller', 'Beat It', and 'Billie Jean' on the the highest grossing album of all time, then of course they're going to be focused it. It's a cultural phenomenon that not only changed music, but helped make Michael into a god-like superstar among the likes of John Lennon and Elvis Presley.

Within the fanbase - Invincible
Within the general public - Off The Wall

I like Invincible, but I think fans really overrated it when they say it's as good as MJ's previous albums. And while Off The Wall is a great album, I don't understand how critics can label that MJ's most genius work ever, when he's made songs like Who Is It, Will You Be There, They Don't Care About Us, Is It Scary.

Last edited:
Most overrated ? Thriller no doubt. Underrated ? Invincible. Brilliant album even though it's panned by most critics and MJ fans...

Overrated by the public and the critics alike: Thriller easily even though it's a great album.

Overrated within the fanbase: HIStory. Some great songs such as SIM, TDCAU, Earth Song etc but also some of MJ's worst songs such as TTA, Come Together, Smile etc. No way near close enough to be MJ's best album.

Thriller by the public definitely

Invincible by the fanbase. I have a lot of love for songs on the record with that said there is a lot I would have done differently

I don't think thriller is overrated because it's deserving of the accolades. It broke boundaries and changed the cultural landscape.

I think off the wall is overrated by the media. It was the only one of his adult solo albums to initially receive positive reviews, and remains unblemished. I don't think it offers much lyrically, and isn't as musically diverse as it could have been.

in the fan community, it's bad, dangerous, and history/blood.. especially history - which was a one off response to a terrible incident that never should have happened in the first place, and not the standard

Agree! Fans shoot off to listen to other albums,and not because THRILLER isn't awesome.

I absolutely love Off The Wall and Thriller; I think they deserve the praise they get. As for the other albums, I honestly don't like any of them. I would say the most overrated one in the general public is Bad and the most overrated one in the fanbase is Dangerous. Guess my vote goes to the latter.

I like Invincible, but I think fans really overrated it when they say it's as good as MJ's previous albums. And while Off The Wall is a great album, I don't understand how critics can label that MJ's most genius work ever, when he's made songs like Who Is It, Will You Be There, They Don't Care About Us, Is It Scary.

I completely agree with this comment. I think that fans have "softened" when it comes to Invincible - the fact that it ended up being Michael's last (living) studio album has made them rethink it and look at it with different eyes....you know? I think that's what has happened and now they see something in the album that they didn't see when it was first released. I think there's a place for all of Michael's albums, because they each offer something different from the Michael Jackson genre.

Thriller is the most overrated, people only know the album for that song! Invincible is the most underrated, that album deserves more.

I'm gonna say Thriller. it's a great album and really made Michael career get out there you can also count Off The Wall and BAD. but it's seem the most album that always talk about.

In my opinion Off The Wall is underrated. you also count Blood On The Dance Floor and other MJ later albums. oh yeah and his early solo albums when he was still a child/preteen.

someone said Dangerous is the best album of all time and some older fan said they were crazy and that Thriller and i also agree, will always be the best album. who's knows, as time goes by that may changes. more of the younger fans likes Michael later albums then his early albums.

HIStory
MJ-HIStory-e1424144802835.jpg

MJ strayed from solid dance tracks on this record. It does opens up amazingly, but the later tracks don't make a cohesive listening experience. They just aren't strong enough together. Namely, D.S., 2 Bad (Shaq sinks the song), the anachronistic Come Together, Little Susie, Childhood and Tabloid Junkie. They aren't bad songs per say, but they don't work well together as an album. You could make the same argument about Dangerous, but that album is at least more dance worthy.

So (just for me) to make it tighter would be :
Scream
They Don't Care About US
Stranger In Moscow
This Time Around
Earth Song
Money
You Are Not Alone
History
Smile.

These 9 songs aren't better than Thriller. Not even close man. Y'all gotta put some respect on Thriller.

I absolutely love Off The Wall and Thriller; I think they deserve the praise they get. As for the other albums, I honestly don't like any of them. I would say the most overrated one in the general public is Bad and the most overrated one in the fanbase is Dangerous. Guess my vote goes to the latter.

giphy.gif

I'm surprised that Blood On The Dance Floor has a vote. I'd say from that poll that is the most underrated album, because a lot of people skip over it thinking that it's just a remix album, but that's not the case at all. Those first 5 songs are some of his best work

Back