Which Michael Jackson documentary/biopic do you find to be the most tolerable?

fraroc04

Proud Member
For me, I actually enjoyed Searching For Neverland. I found Navi's portrayal as Michael to be quite good, however the thing that did bother me was Navi's accent. It definitely slipped enough to be noticeable, but his acting was pretty good. I guess the reason why I enjoyed Searching For Neverland was because it didn't show Michael Jackson, the pop star, it showed Michael Jackson, the doting father, the man searching for a home, the man trying his damnedest to give his children a good life. The actors playing the bodyguards were also superb, especially with that final line regarding the memorial service...."Where were they when he needed them most?"

The worst....we all know the worst, The 2004 Man In The Mirror movie. I watched it once and I never watched it again. Let's just say that Man In The Mirror 2004 makes The Room look like a masterpiece. To be honest, I legit believe that Tommy Wiseau could have directed a better MJ biopic. I swear, it feels more like an MJ parody than a movie about him. The acting was just terrible, it made Michael look crazy....It's just bad all around.

I haven't seen Searching For Neverland. I'd say The Jackson's an American Dream was easily the best. I think they did Michael as best justice as you can with the actors and it was probably fairly accurate in the details too. Maybe except for some of the stuff about Joseph being a bit more loving than he really was (or showed to people at least).

Overall it I'll have to say American Dream! The most complete story, though there are some pointless inaccuracies when I am being "anal" about things.. but it is very well put together, a lot of details in there that others would overlook.

Both "Searching For Neverland" & "American Dream" I gave the a good vibe. The only cons for each of them is Navi's accent, he did a great job playing Michael, but he Michael sound British (whish Navi is British) or even sound like he had a Boston accent. A couple inaccuracies in "American Dream" like the Thriller recording sessions which they put is 1983, Thriller wasn't in the works until 1980-82.

"Man In The Mirror", I thought it was good at first, but overall some inaccuracies and the choice of make up ruined it. Flex Alexander is a fine actor, but him putting on make up looked like he a flour or talc on his face. And era change, didn't quite like they're suppose to, the Thriller was supposed to be 1983-85 and yet made the Thriller era made to be 1983-1990 I mean what hell?

^ Man In The Mirror was one of the worst put together projects on Michael that I have ever seen that was not not from necessarily a "anti" perspective. It was pure sh!t sorry!

I cringed, I laughed in ridiculousness, and got angry.. that's all I got from it! They were WAY off with facts and simply took the empty spaces of info they had and made it up..

Overall it I'll have to say American Dream! The most complete story, though there are some pointless inaccuracies when I am being "anal" about things.. but it is very well put together, a lot of details in there that others would overlook.
Mine 2...i just hate that it stopped in '84 & not 91 or 92....They had did so much more between 84-92. Bad era going into dangerous & hardly no janet....,control & rhythm nation era

Sent from my Galaxy Note 8 using Tapatalk

^ Man In The Mirror was one of the worst put together projects on Michael that I have ever seen that was not not from necessarily a "anti" perspective. It was pure sh!t sorry!

I cringed, I laughed in ridiculousness, and got angry.. that's all I got from it! They were WAY off with facts and simply took the empty spaces of info they had and made it up..
I have to say, KOPV, that your comment took me aback. This movie came out in 2003 or 2004, didn't it, and I never thought of it as anything except as an anti perspective.

Didn't occur to me that this was supposed to be a legitimate biography. The whole thing was trash-beginning to end.

On another note, someone just mentioned that they were sorry that 'American Dream' didn't extend to Janet's career-that probably would have been a nice sequel made at the time. I suppose it was because it was supposed to be the whole family, and really except for Michael and Janet-none of them were really performing. Marlon had his solo album in 89, so did Randy-but not big successes. Everyone was just having kids, etc.

^ Yes, that's the thing.. they reached out to fans (Jetzi and myself) for rare footage when they were gathering information for the movie. Flex still to this day believes he did Michael Jackson justice. but it was making him look like an odd man child.. I hate that! He was an adult with childlike tenancies, that is not the same thing.

When he "dangled" blanket and skipped around the room after the way he did.. like he is some air head.. GOD I hated it!

And those odd dream like sequences, that was creepy!

40th birthday BBC doc from what i can remember was reasonable

Im not sure I watched it either, is that the official title?

Cant remember the offical title sorry. Sure someone will remember or maybe its on youtube etc?

^^Thanks. I've never seen this. They didn't show it in the US, that I know of.
'An American Dream' is not only tolerable-its quite wonderful.

You guys might be interested to know there is a new documentary coming out next year call 'Moonwalkers'

Moonwalkers' is a documentary about 3 Michael Jackson impersonators as they search for fame and fortune on a road trip to Hollywood. Inspired by Michael Jackson to chase their dreams, this film follows them on a touching journey of self-discovery.

The film will be released in 2018 and we can't wait to share it with you all.

www.moonwalkers-film.com
https://www.facebook.com/moonwalkersfilm
@MoonwalkersFilm

You guys might be interested to know there is a new documentary coming out next year call 'Moonwalkers'

Moonwalkers' is a documentary about 3 Michael Jackson impersonators as they search for fame and fortune on a road trip to Hollywood. Inspired by Michael Jackson to chase their dreams, this film follows them on a touching journey of self-discovery.

The film will be released in 2018 and we can't wait to share it with you all.

www.moonwalkers-film.com
https://www.facebook.com/moonwalkersfilm
@MoonwalkersFilm
If you're gonna post a thread just so you can promote your movie, just be up front about it rather than disguising it as asking for opinions.

I liked Searching For Neverland, but my favorite documentary is still Life Of An Icon. I just wish more of MJ's siblings would've participated at the time.

Jacksons American dream - only seen one other and I don't recommend, forgot its name, but had a real effeminate dark skinned dude playing mature Michael and had him in the baby dangling scene.

I try to avoid biopics, as I feel they never do him justice. Michael would loved to have been seen as a nice normal and likable person, all these shows come off making him look bizarre.

You know which documentary I also really couldn't stand? The 2017 Man In The Mirror doc with Earnest Valentino. There, they portray Michael Jackson as a helpless manchild who had zero maturity and responsibility. The most shameful part about the whole documentary is where they flat out said that Michael "claming" he had vitiligo (even though he very well did) to Oprah was him "denying" his changing appearance. That's some bullshit right out of the tabloids right there. I mean sure, the documentary didn't make him look like he was guilty of the things he was accused of, but I really just hated the overall picture they painted of MJ.

The only saving grace was the fact that Jennifer Batten always seems to have such nice things to say about MJ, she truly admired him as a human being. It's too bad the rest of the documentary blows.

Another nice thing about Jennifer Batten is she killed it on the guitar and complimented Michaels presence on stage very well.

Back