Thread: Michael Jackson Estate, Sony Music Extend Partnership for Recordings

Level completed: 77%, Points required for next Level: 381
    Overall activity: 42.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,176 Times in 1,978 Posts

Default Re: Michael Jackson Estate, Sony Music Extend Partnership for Recordings

Fans need to get used to things releasing over time.. Just because we live in a world where everything is available when we expect it. Binge shows, order anything we want with a click on the button etc..

Sony has released things on a much faster pace than MJ did when he was here. We need to always remember that his legacy has to live much longer than we will. Things need to be available to release 50 years from now as well. If we got everything now - there would be nothing "good" left to release down the road.

I mean think about it - break down all that has been released and given to fans since 2009 and tell me that's not a decent collection added!
    **He lives forever within us**

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KOPV For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 94%, Points required for next Level: 6
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks

Default Re: Michael Jackson Estate, Sony Music Extend Partnership for Recordings

Quote Originally Posted by bizz View Post
    I don't understand why Sony pays so much money and then releases these greatest hits and remix albums... I mean, they always say Michael has recorded hundreds of unreleased songs and has tons of footage that has never seen the daylight. I'd pay so much money just to get a couple of hours HQ footage of Michael and hearing some really polished songs but nooo Sony lets low-life DJ's make unwanted remixes of Thriller and BOTDF... The best thing they put out since his passing (RIP) was Hollywood Tonight.. the whole Xscape abum was a flop imho...
    Why? I love Xscape? It isn't perfect and the only way I listen to it is in my created spotify playlist that combines Xscape with the "Michael" songs that are actually sung by him but still, great stuff.

Level completed: 39%, Points required for next Level: 122
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by englishhooligan View Post
    Why? I love Xscape? It isn't perfect and the only way I listen to it is in my created spotify playlist that combines Xscape with the "Michael" songs that are actually sung by him but still, great stuff.
    Agreed
    Long Live The King

Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 73
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks

With regard to marketing, appeal, monetizing etc... Sony wouldn't have paid big $$$ to extend a contract if it wasn't making them money. What some see as a "flop" must be making money somewhere.

I think it's safe to assume that NOTHING released post 2009 will ever compete with releases that Michael personally oversaw.

Level completed: 38%, Points required for next Level: 249
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks

Record Industry Coup as Prince’s Entire Catalog Moves to Sony from Warner Bros., Singer No Longer a “Slave”

Prince hated Warner Bros. He changed his name to a symbol to get away from them, and then wrote “Slave” on his face to indicate his unhappiness.

Eventually he made up with them, maybe out of necessity at the time. It was a shock when, just before his death, it looked like he’d be back in the Bunny Den.

But today Sony/Legacy announced they’ve taken the whole catalog from WB. They’ve taken 35 albums including all the classics from the 70s and 80s through the mid 90s and then some. Right away they’ll reissue everything from 1995 forward. Then, in 2021, they’ll have everything else. The only exception is “Purple Rain,” which may be tied to WB because of the movie. But “1999” and all the others go to Sony.

Spotify’s Troy Carter, who oversees the Prince estate, made the deal. But Carter may not be with Spotify much longer. After weeks of rumors that Carter was leaving, today Spotify announced the appointment of Dawn Ostroff as chief content officer. There was no word about Carter, who just stood in for Spotify founder Daniel Ek when they were honored at the annual UJA Federation luncheon for the music industry.

http://www.showbiz411.com/2018/06/27...longer-a-slave

Imagine.... Michael owning Prince...