How was Streetwalker strong enough for Bad?

SmoothCriminal1995

Proud Member
Firstly I love Streetwalker, it's one of my favourite outtakes from any era and the vocal performance is fantastic (reminds me of TWYMMF) also I love how funky it is.

With that being said, how was Streetwalker ever considered strong enough for Bad?
I know the version we have (the 2001 special edition bonus track) is a mix done in 1988 while Michael was on tour but if I'm honest, it's not even my favourite demo from that era.

The only thing I can think of, is there is at least one mix of the songs which reflects it's high status better, maybe my complete lyrics.
If you compare Streetwalker in comparison to other up-tempo tracks on the record it loses to all par maybe Just Good Friends and possibly Speed Demon (although I love Speed Demon). Also it is really similar to The Way You Make Me Feel.

There's my thoughts, what are yours?

Well the story is Michael wanted Streetwalker on the album and Quincy wanted Another Part Of Me! they put it up for a vote and Another Part Of Me won.. I love both songs, but thinking of Bad without Another Part Of Me - I don't want to think about it lol

Streetwalker is fine, but it doesn't do much for me. I can't remember the last time I listened to it all the way through; it loses its muster after the second chorus. Another Part of Me stomps it into the dirt.

Imo, Streetwalker is a much better song than Speed Demon and Just Good Friends. It could have easily replaced any of those songs. To me it's the best outtake from the Bad era along with Cheater. Guess it's just different strokes for different folks

Imo, Streetwalker is a much better song than Speed Demon and Just Good Friends. It could have easily replaced any of those songs. To me it's the best outtake from the Bad era along with Cheater. Guess it's just different strokes for different folks

I totally agree with you, Streetwalker and Cheater are way better than Speed Demon

Streetwalker is a one of the best outtakes. Of course I'm happy that Another Part of Me made it onto Bad in its place but I would happily take Streetwalker over Just Good Friends.

I don't dislike the song I've just always been shocked it nearly took the place of Another Part Of Me, which in my opinion, is one of the best and most funky cuts on the record.

I do like Streetwalker and I love that funk

I love these debates and hearing everyone's different opinions.

I don't dislike the song I've just always been shocked it nearly took the place of Another Part Of Me, which in my opinion, is one of the best and most funky cuts on the record

Yeah, Apom just had to be in the album. I just can't imagine a Bad tour without APOM.

Different strokes for different folks eh, Speed Demon Is in my MJ top 10 ?

Yeah, Apom just had to be in the album. I just can't imagine a Bad tour without APOM.

Agreed. The real question is, had Streetwalker replaced APOM on the bad tour what would that live performance look like?

I love Streetwalker, but I think having it on BAD would have ruined the flow of the album.

Can someone please explain to me why people don’t like Just Good Friends? I LOVE his vocals on that song! I don’t understand why people dislike JGF over Streetwalker. Streetwalker is a good song, but I’m not sure if it would with the album’s flow.

‘Streetwalker’ always struck me as the dark lyrical version of ‘The Way You Make Me Feel’.

‘Streetwalker’ was a very strong candidate for the ‘BAD’ album. MJ at one point was even planning a short film for that song (during the ‘BAD’ recording sessions).

I think it was a good decision that ‘Streetwalker’ was eventually replaced in favor of ‘Another Part Of Me’.

Finally, it is interesting that a part of the rhythmic melody of ‘Streetwalker’ was later used as the basis for the early version of the ‘Dangerous’ song.

mj_frenzy;4214212 said:
Finally, it is interesting that a part of the rhythmic melody of ‘Streetwalker’ was later used as the basis for the early version of the ‘Dangerous’ song.
I agree about the darker version of TWYMMF.
I emphatically prefer Streetwalker over Dangerous. Wish he had kept going on that instead.

Firstly I love Streetwalker, it's one of my favourite outtakes from any era and the vocal performance is fantastic (reminds me of TWYMMF) also I love how funky it is.

With that being said, how was Streetwalker ever considered strong enough for Bad?
I know the version we have (the 2001 special edition bonus track) is a mix done in 1988 while Michael was on tour but if I'm honest, it's not even my favourite demo from that era.

Stopped reading after this........

MJ had so much great unrelesed material at that time he could have released another album inbetween BAD and Dangerous.

Interesting. Now that I think of it he could have released an album before bad, after bad and right before Dangerous if he really wanted to and they would have all been killers!

MJ had so much great unrelesed material at that time he could have released another album inbetween BAD and Dangerous.

yes he could of released an album between bad and dangerous but it would of been terrible. the outtakes we have heard are not strong enough for a full album thats just stupid

I agree with you about keeping APOM on the album instead of Streetwalker with the SW version we know that is released on the SE album. Although I really like that version it´s not really up there. BUT...

I attended the In The Studio With MJ seminar with Brad Sundberg in Stockholm a few years ago where he played another version of Streetwalker that was so incredibly funky and amazing that I would have taken it over APOM anytime. Of course, I have only heard it once so it´s hard to be definitive, but as I remember it the song was a lot better than the released version. I think they had some added layers in the chorus that lifted it and the bassline was magic! So my vote goes to that unreleased version of Streetwalker that could go straight into the Bad album.

Last edited:
yes he could of released an album between bad and dangerous but it would of been terrible. the outtakes we have heard are not strong enough for a full album thats just stupid

Eh, still would have been better than Invincible
video-collection-trollface-thumb.jpg

Mr. Norway;4214226 said:
I agree with you about keeping APOM on the album instead of Streetwalker with the SW version we know that is released on the SE album. Although I really like that version it´s not really up there. BUT...

I attended the In The Studio With MJ seminar with Brad Sundberg in Stockholm a few years ago where he played another version of Streetwalker that was so incredibly funky and amazing that I would have taken it over APOM anytime. Of course, I have only heard it once so it´s hard to be definitive, but as I remember it the song was a lot better than the released version. I think they had some added layers in the chorus that lifted it and the bassline was magic! So my vote goes to that unreleased version of Streetwalker that could go straight into the Bad album.

I remember everybody saying how different and great this version was. I'm sure someone said it had a whistle a the start and more adlibs/vocals. Would love to hear it

I remember everybody saying how different and great this version was. I'm sure someone said it had a whistle a the start and more adlibs/vocals. Would love to hear it
I dunno, I heard this too and it really did not sound all that different to me than the demo we have. Yeah, slightly better, but it really didn't affect my feelings about the song in any way.

APOM is so much better imo.

SmoothCriminal1995;4214232 said:

Yes, it WAS a lot better actually. Makes me wonder why MJ chose to release the version we have on the SE in the first place when he had a better version of it.

Of course a lot of people would prefer APOM. Don´¨t get me wrong, I love the song, but I think Streetwalker is an even better song if we compare the best version of Streetwalker. That´s actually one thing that I thought was a bit unfair during the Oslo seminar of ITSWMJ in November. Brad started playing Streetwalker and started a poll to see who preferred APOM and who would have voted for SW. But he only played the first demo of SW, the one without the chorus we know - when the song was totally different. And of course most people who had not heard the best version of it voted for APOM. I think he should´ve played the best version and then started the poll, only then would it be a fair comparison. And one other thing why Streetwalker should have been on the Bad album is that Streetwalker was Michael´s own favorite of the two. But I would have missed the live performances of APOM, though - they are incredible! :)

Streetwalker is light years better than TWYMMF and should've replaced it on the original release.

Back