Michael Wanted Unbreakable as the First Single

Re: Michael wanted Unbreakable as the first single.

Well yeah that was his idea, and the idea he had for the video.. as I picture it in my head.. amazing!

Really a shame that due to Sony not promoting this album there were so few videos, singles and no tour.

Ikr it's in my opinion the best song on the album.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How do you picture the video, I'm sure there would have been some tight choreography!

How do you picture the video, I'm sure there would have been some tight choreography!

I think it would be like a mysterious concept. Talking about corrupt people of the industry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MJ wanted ‘Unbreakable’ as the first single. He even envisioned the concept for that music video.

At the beginning of that music video, MJ stands on the roof of a very tall building & some thugs hold him. They let him go & then he jumps. He falls down to the ground seemingly dead. But, gradually he begins (out of his body parts) to transform into fire & eventually starts to dance.

MJ was also about to introduce to that video some totally new dance choreographies that would stick to people’s mind forever.

“Michael even knew exactly how he wanted to open the ‘Unbreakable’ short film. He would be on the roof of a very tall building that was under construction, held over the edge by some thugs, and then they would let him go. He would go hurtling to the ground, seemingly dead, but slowly, his body parts would come together and he would turn into fire – dancing on fire from scaffold to scaffold as his body parts reassembled themselves. Michael envisioned creating a dance for \Unbreakable’ that people would remember forever” (Frank Cascio, 'My Friend Michael')

Parenthetically, MJ wanted also a bigger budget for his ‘You Rock My World’ music video, but Sony refused to give him those additional funds that he asked. So, its making completed with that lower budget.

^ And that is where the convo of what went wrong with the album and what could have made it better..

MJ wanted budget for projects and more control, Sony put there foot down saying too much money was spent on the development on the album.. Back and forth, back and forth.. And album didn't reach it's potential..

I'm glad "Unbreakable" wasn't a single; I don't think it was radio friendly enough to have been a major hit. MJ's planned music video sounds cool, tho.

Sony was smart to release "You Rock My World" as the lead single; it charted well despite only being released to airplay in America and would have charted even higher had it been given a commercial release there. I didn't like the music video, though.

Last edited:
I LOVE the YRMW music video but I think if the Unbreakable music video would have been this would be my favorite music video ever! I agree that it was a wiser decision to release the YRMW single, at least as the first single. But could you imagine if Michael would have performed Unbreakable at the 30th anniversary?? That would have been so much cooler!!

BTW I'm sure this has already been discussed thoroughly but could there still be unreleased footage of the Unbreakable video? I kind of remember reading that the production had already begun when Sony pulled away their budget.

Wow I didn't know MJ had this idea for an 'Unbreakable' video! It would have been so aaaawesome, I'd love to see some unreleased footage as well!
It's a shame Sony didn't give him the right budget for the videos he wanted to make...

I read somewhere that Mel Gibson was going to be in the "Unbreakable" video. That would have been interesting.

Unbreakable still gets reactions like this in 2023
It should've been a single and would've been a classic
Unbreakable is like Bad of next century

Last edited:
It's too aggressive and overproduced to be like "Bad". It's more like "Jam", "Scream" and "This Time Around".

It's pop that borrows from hip hop and R&B. "Break of Dawn", "Butterflies" and "Heaven Can Wait" are straight-up R&B (or more specifically, neo-soul in the case of "Butterflies") songs, not "Unbreakable" lol

Here are some differences between pop and R&B music:
R&B
Also known as rhythm and blues, R&B is a musical genre that developed in the 1940s by Black Americans. It's influenced by gospel, jazz, folk, and traditional blues music. R&B emphasizes rhythm and soulful vocals.

Pop
A broad term for music that's popular in the mainstream. Pop music has no fixed style or sound, but is often characterized by catchy lyrics, a danceable tempo, and easy to remember lyrics.

Nah, it's arbitrary, but there's a certain criteria for what falls under the genre of "pop". Simply being popular doesn't equal pop.

Anything played on Top 40 radio in the USA is considered "pop". It doesn't mean anything. All of these artists have had "pop" hits over the decades:

Bon Jovi, Dean Martin, Cab Calloway, Tone Loc, Debbie Gibson, Duke Ellington, Beastie Boys, Barry Manilow, Depeche Mode, Santana, Rolling Stones, Nirvana, Limp Bizkit, Gladys Knight & The Pips, Depeche Mode, Herbie Hancock, Kenny G, Eagles, Supertramp, Johnny Mathis, Dolly Parton, Charlie Daniels Band, Hall & Oates, Perry Como, Run-DMC, Geto Boys, Kenny Rogers, 1910 Fruitgum Company, Alvin & The Chipmunks, The Monkees, Judy Collins, Eddie Murphy, Mötley Crüe, En Vogue, Shaggy, Pitbull, Cardi B, Lisa Lisa & Cult Jam, Journey, Rosemary Clooney, Andrews Sisters, Van Halen, Air Supply, Melissa Manchester, Art Of Noise, BTS, Lynyrd Skynyrd, James Brown, Pat Boone, Little Richard, Oak Ridge Boys, The O'Jays, Sade, and many others.

Nah fam

A song can be pop and still flop
What does that even mean? A movie is a movie whether or not it is successful. Top 40 (which is the upper part of the Hot 100 chart) is the "pop" radio format, which means popular to mainstream audiences. It's not a type of music. In the really old Billboards, what is now called the Hot 100 was literally called the "Music Popularity Chart". During that time, music by Black artists was on the "Race Music" chart and country was called "Hillbilly". Artists who were on actual music genre radio stations like AOR, R&B, jazz, country, etc were said to "crossover" to pop radio if they happened to get played there. In the 1990s there was a "Latin crossover". In the 1920s big band jazz was pop music, in the 1970s disco was pop music and now hip hop is pop music. On Madonna's debut album, she had the same producers Stephanie Mills had during the same time. The records sound pretty similar, but Madonna was considered pop and Stephanie was considered R&B. Stephanie did not get much crossover airplay

Nah, it's arbitrary, but there's a certain criteria for what falls under the genre of "pop". Simply being popular doesn't equal pop.
It's strictly a genre only in the most basic terms. Meanwhile, this is basically a Rodney Jerkins song. It sounds exactly like Brandy's shade of music, who was and is entirely R&B. She literally sings the backing vocals.

Back