Why was Teddy Riley not involved in HiStory?

Dunno. Maybe teddy was working on blackstreet. They were blowing up at that time.maybe as originally history was only going to have a few new songs.or maybe mj wanted something diff

Teddy Riley was originally meant to work on the ‘HIStory’ album. MJ even paid him to work with him at that time for that project.

So, Teddy Riley went to one of the studios (in which the making of the ‘HIStory’ album’ was about to take place) but he could not find MJ there. Besides, MJ at that point was not really making any progress with the ‘HIStory’ project, so Riley left.

Also, Jimmy Iovine (Teddy Riley’s management at the time) played a role in Riley’s abandoning the ‘HIStory’ project.

In fact, Iovine wanted from Teddy Riley to focus on Blackstreet’s second album (‘Another Level’).

“The involvement was I was supposed to be on the ‘HIStory’ album and I came up for the ‘HIStory’ album but Michael wasn’t in the studio, he wasn’t really doing any work so I was just sitting there and I didn’t want to waste his money or his time, which I wasn’t wasting his time but, he was wasting his money by me sitting there, so I said, ‘Let me go home and then when you need me, call me.’ And then Jimmy Iovine didn’t want me to work on that project so he scratched me from the project… I had just come off a double platinum album with Blackstreet. He [Iovine] wanted me to work on the second project for Blackstreet, which was the ‘Another Level’ album, so he gave me anything that I wanted to get back to working on that album” (Teddy Riley)

It's a great question. I love the work Mike and Teddy did together, I always appreciate the respect talks about Michael with, he sounds like he cared for Mike deeply.

I always wonder why too, I think it would have been interesting to hear more "hard" style tracks they did like WYWTOM on Dangerous. I think that's the style they would have done together on HIStory

That's very interesting. Although I love Michael's work with Teddy, I appreciate the fact that HIStory had a different sound than Dangerous. More urban and contemporary to the mid-90s.

im glad he left .
but dangerous is what made me a fan. i loved teddys input on that.

Well because History wouldn't be what it was . It would sound entirely different.. . So, i'm glad teddy left to do his other projects.

Ghosts was produced by MJ and Teddy Riley. I don’t know if that song was meant for HIStory though.

Originally for Dangerous

Not entirely or not at all. Teddy just presented Michael with the grooves for Dangerous. That demo we have with Pavarotti intro and without full vocals (just chorus) is from 1993. So we don't know how much work on Ghosts was done for Dangerous album, and if any.

Not entirely or not at all. Teddy just presented Michael with the grooves for Dangerous. That demo we have with Pavarotti intro and without full vocals (just chorus) is from 1993. So we don't know how much work on Ghosts was done for Dangerous album, and if any.

Yes, I see nothing wrong with my statement. It was presented to Michael for the Dangerous project and it was worked/tinkered on for that project (I remember teddy riley saying this).

Off topic, have any of you seen History available with just disc 1 the new songs back then? I saw 2 copies at my local Rite Aide pharmacy today. Only $599 a copy, it said special edition.

I think the only tracks during that era Teddy worked on, were Blood On The Dance Floor and Ghosts, both of which were started during the Dangerous sessions, but didn't get finished until after HIStory.

I think the only tracks during that era Teddy worked on, were Blood On The Dance Floor and Ghosts, both of which were started during the Dangerous sessions, but didn't get finished until after HIStory.

I think they worked on Ghosts and Family Thing in 1993 for the Addams Family soundtrack. I think majority of Blood was done before Dangerous was released or just after.

They didn't work together on HIStory at all, although Michael did work on Blood with other people. And in 1996 Michael worked on Ghosts and Blood (mainly on vocals and final mixing), again without Teddy.

Honestly I'm kinda glad the BOTDF songs didn't make the HIStory album. They just don't seem to fit together. Kinda odd considering the two albums were released within 2 years of each other. IMO the BOTDF tracks fit more with Dangerous.....but that's probably not a surprise considering the majority..if not all of the 5 tracks were started around the Dangerous era.

Honestly I'm kinda glad the BOTDF songs didn't make the HIStory album. They just don't seem to fit together. Kinda odd considering the two albums were released within 2 years of each other. IMO the BOTDF tracks fit more with Dangerous.....but that's probably not a surprise considering the majority..if not all of the 5 tracks were started around the Dangerous era.

I'm glad that Blood on the dance floor and none of it made the dangerous album. Besides of Ghosts and Is It Scary they are very weak. Just like those two. But Blood On The Dancefloor would have Kind of ruined dangerous as a whole.

Actually I don't think the 5 tracks are weak at all. They're pretty good. If they were together with other original tracks, rather than remixes from a 2 year old album, I think they would have been better received by the general public. BOTDF was a good track to start up, I love Morphine and Is It Scary the best, SS is ok, not one of my favorites, but it's got a nice beat to groove too, and Ghosts is great too.

It's really too bad Sony insisted on making it a remix album.

I personally think most of BOTDF is great! While Morphine is definitley an 'alternative'/different sound for a mainstream album... I could say the same for a couple tracks that actually made the HIStory album.. Little Suzie? While it was a well put together song musically, anyone unwrapping a MJ project at the time would have a WTF moment when they hear that for the first time..

Can someone really say a song like Super Fly Sister does not 'fit' with the sound of the HIStory era? (just as an example)

I personally think most of BOTDF is great! While Morphine is definitley an 'alternative'/different sound for a mainstream album... I could say the same for a couple tracks that actually made the HIStory album.. Little Suzie? While it was a well put together song musically, anyone unwrapping a MJ project at the time would have a WTF moment when they hear that for the first time..

Can someone really say a song like Super Fly Sister does not 'fit' with the sound of the HIStory era? (just as an example)

Imo superfly sister definitely does not fit with the history era. It's far too funky. I like the botd songs. My only criticism would be that is it scary and ghosts are too similar but given the Addams family movie background i guess it makes sense they would be so similar.

I’m pretty sure Superfly Sister is a throwback to the late 80s/early 90s when MJ was working with Bryan Loren.

dmehta;4216095 said:
I’m pretty sure Superfly Sister is a throwback to the late 80s/early 90s when MJ was working with Bryan Loren.

Well, that's when the song was recorded (1989-1990) so basically it's not throwback. It is a song recorded at that time and released 7 years later with some parts (I think some guitar solos and piano parts) recorded in 1996.

This might sound random but does anyone know what year Damion Halls from 'Guy' security gaurd was killed at a club?

This is MJ timeline related!

OnirMJ;4216098 said:
Well, that's when the song was recorded (1989-1990) so basically it's not throwback. It is a song recorded at that time and released 7 years later with some parts (I think some guitar solos and piano parts) recorded in 1996.

That’s what I meant. It was an old track at the time, released in ‘97 and originally produced by Bryan Loren during the Dangerous sessions.

I'm glad that Blood on the dance floor and none of it made the dangerous album. Besides of Ghosts and Is It Scary they are very weak. Just like those two. But Blood On The Dancefloor would have Kind of ruined dangerous as a whole.

Hereeesy! Come on Blood On The Dancefloor is better than She Drives Me Wild, I Can't Let her Get Away and Why You Wanna Trip On Me. Thematically it fits perfectly with the Dangerous album. It's a BOP, sonically creative and complex with dark and powerful lyrics.

I would have gladly traded WYWTOM for Blood On The Dancefloor

Jam
Blood On The Dancefloor
In The Closet.

That might just have been the best sequence of songs of any of his albums.

I also rate Sueprfly Sister very high in MJ's catalogue. I miss when he did these kinds of songs that had no real structure or clear direction and were just loose and funky. Just like WBSS

Hereeesy! Come on Blood On The Dancefloor is better than She Drives Me Wild, I Can't Let her Get Away and Why You Wanna Trip On Me. Thematically it fits perfectly with the Dangerous album. It's a BOP, sonically creative and complex with dark and powerful lyrics.

I would have gladly traded WYWTOM for Blood On The Dancefloor

Jam
Blood On The Dancefloor
In The Closet.

That might just have been the best sequence of songs of any of his albums.

I also rate Sueprfly Sister very high in MJ's catalogue. I miss when he did these kinds of songs that had no real structure or clear direction and were just loose and funky. Just like WBSS

Oh no no.. Wywtom is my favorite dangerous track we can not give up on that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back