Which songs nearly made Dangerous

Slave To The Rhythm

Proud Member
I know that the songlist of Dangerous changed a lot during its creation. Do you know which songs made it nearly?
(I mean at the end of the creation process)

I know that the songlist of Dangerous changed a lot during its creation. Do you know which songs made it nearly?

I heard/read Earth Song, Someone Put Your Hand Out and Joy were serious contenders for the album

Last edited:
Yes, I feel What About Us was a strong contender, maybe replaced by Heal the World.. And Man In Black was in the promo flight cd so, maybe was worked further after Bryan Loren left the project and Teddy and Bill Bottrell took over.

Themidwestcowboy;4215125 said:
I heard/read Earth Song, Someone Put Your Hand Out and Joy was serious contenders for the album

Slave To The Rhythm;4215127 said:
I know about Monkey Business, but sadly can't find the source

It is certainly a fact that ‘Monkey Business’ & ‘Earth Song’ were both seriously considered for the ‘Dangerous’ album.

This has been also confirmed by Bill Bottrell who worked (among other songs) also on these two tracks during the ‘Dangerous’ recording sessions.

“I was disappointed when Monkey and Earth didn't make the record [‘Dangerous’], but I got over it” (Bill Bottrell)

Also, during the summer of 1991, ‘Monkey Business’ was extensively reported (Revolution magazine, for example) as a song that was going to make the ‘Dangerous’ album to the point where most fans were later surprised that ‘Monkey Business’ eventually did not make the album.

It is worth noting that MJ, in the summer of 1991, was becoming extremely indecisive about the final tracklist of his ‘Dangerous’ album. The official tracklist finalized only some weeks before the album’s release.

Now considered can go into how closely it made it to a song as an option at one point.. We know the song 'Joy' which became a song for blackstreet was considered, If you Don't Love Me, Men In Black, 'Planet Earth' original title for what became earth song, Serious Effect, She got it, Someone Put Your Hand Out, Work That Body, Do You Know Where Your Children Are, Little Susie, Llama Lola, Lucy is in love with linus, The Love You Save (adult version), Cry (not what we heard). Michael Mckeller, I'll be there (adult version)

There are many more that we know of, but some of these either - we question validity, not really clear if actually considered etc.

Bottle Of Smoke
Bubbles
Fever
Heaven Is Here
In the Valley
Little Girls
Lonely Bird
Lonely man
Pressure
Red Eye
Seven Bright New Stars
Verdicts
Tragedy of a cheerleader

Most of us know this, but Dangerous was planned to be a double disc (thought was revisited for HIStory) but those adult versions of songs were to be on one disc that became Dangerous.

'Planet Earth' original title for what became earth song..

Interesting to notice that both Planet Earth and The Dance were lyrics printed on the booklet.. We now know about the spoken poem Planet Earth released on TII. Nice to think that MJ was maybe considering interludes on his records, as in this case a spoken intro and outro..

Interesting to notice that both Planet Earth and The Dance were lyrics printed on the booklet.. We now know about the spoken poem Planet Earth released on TII. Nice to think that MJ was maybe considering interludes on his records, as in this case a spoken intro and outro..

Some poems on dancing the dream were definitely songs. One that comes to mind is When A Baby Smiles

^ The poem portion was going to be a talking piece before the song "starts", the audio (to my knowledge) was similar to the audio we hear on this is it when the little girl is in the forest.

I wonder why he never did interludes

Sent from my Galaxy Note 8 using Tapatalk

SPYHO was a candidate literally till the very last second. An album edit (4:34) was made in mid November 1991.

I remember seeing a print of an early Dangerous pressing, same track list except Will You Be There, close call! I think the track list was pretty final for a while, people seem to be confusing considered with record, from what I've read Monkey Business was the closest to making Dangerous

May be you saw an Italian version of the album – Will You Be There was taken off because of copyright issues.

Didn't Bryan Loren say he thought Serious Effect was gonna make the album because of how far it got?

Back