Which album did MJ like the most?

Slave To The Rhythm

Proud Member
He said that Heal the world is the song he's most proud of to have written. Did he ever say which album of his own he is most proud of or likes the most?

Off The Wall. I can recall reading some fans comments which stated that according to MJ, he still hasn't surpassed OTW with albums that came after. I'm not so sure if MJ really said that though.

The only thing I can think of is him saying that "Invincible is just as good or better than Thriller, in my true, humble opinion. It has more to offer." But ofcourse that may have been his short-term opinion since he was promoting the album at the time. I'm not aware of any particular quotes where he mentioned anything but if I were to guess I would also say 'Off the Wall.' He continued to be bitter about only winning one grammy and not being recognized, even decades later during a radio interview. I think it was with either Rev. Jesse Jackson or Steve Harvey in 2005.

The only thing I can think of is him saying that "Invincible is just as good or better than Thriller, in my true, humble opinion. It has more to offer." But ofcourse that may have been his short-term opinion since he was promoting the album at the time. I'm not aware of any particular quotes where he mentioned anything but if I were to guess I would also say 'Off the Wall.' He continued to be bitter about only winning one grammy and not being recognized, even decades later during a radio interview. I think it was with either Rev. Jesse Jackson or Steve Harvey in 2005.

Funny he should say that since he only ever performed one song from that album.

Funny he should say that since he only ever performed one song from that album.

True, but I think those songs were more personal to Michael. When I listen to the album and read/hear interviews form the time, I get the sense that many of the songs on there like Unbreakable, Speechless, You Are My Life, Don't Walk Away, The Lost Children, were deeply personal to him. And that at this point in his career, with his 2 children, his priorities were different and he was simply writing and creating music that he found personally fulfilling as opposed to being chart toppers. Just my opinion, but I think that's why he may have suggested this album as being better than his previous work. And it offers more in the sense that it has more variety in its content, as well as being 16 tracks worth. Out of his 7 solo albums it's probably the bottom of my list but nonetheless I appreciate the album for what it is.

^ I see two parts to that, while they can be seen as personal by topic but it's the solo album HE wrote the least on.. So in that regard how personal can it really be? My personal view is he when releasing an album is very proud of that project (A perfectionist that releases only what he feels is the best) and when he stated that specifically about Invincible - wasn't that around its release? That said in the moment of releasing an album you worked hard on and are proud, how can he not be "most proud" of work that is that close to his heart in that moment?

Regarding him performing only one song, that to me - is a promotion issue over a love for the album issue. once Michael and Sony got caught up in a war.. neither of them acted in the best way to promote the album.

Didn't he one time say in an interview something like "the last one is always the best"? :)
In a Molly Meldrum interview I think.

I think if we asked him whats his favorite body of work, he would never break it down to a single album.. i would see him mention songs that simply are personal..

Than again how much of that is simply not to "toot" his own horn on increadable body of work he has!?! He'd never say "I love how i...."

Songs i could see him say are his favs... childhood, lost children, man in the mirror...

But I would think if he'd honestly answer that, hed pick more uptempo songs that get him moving, with great layering of instruments and vocals that he knows freakin rock...

Mj was very polite!

KOPV;4215348 said:
I think if we asked him whats his favorite body of work, he would never break it down to a single album.. i would see him mention songs that simply are personal..

Than again how much of that is simply not to "toot" his own horn on increadable body of work he has!?! He'd never say "I love how i...."

Songs i could see him say are his favs... childhood, lost children, man in the mirror...

But I would think if he'd honestly answer that, hed pick more uptempo songs that get him moving, with great layering of instruments and vocals that he knows freakin rock...

Mj was very polite!

That’s a good point. I remember in several occasions during depositions he wouldn’t even remember how many songs made his Dangerous album. Or whether one particular song had made an album or the subsequent album. Generally speaking ofcourse. Obviously he knew his songs well.

Back