Keep The Faith

He co-wrote it with Glen Ballard and Siedah Garrett. But if I remember correctly Glen and Siedah wrote the majority of it, and Michael just gave a little bit of input.

Brad Sundberg who does the "In The Studio with Michael Jackson" Seminars talked also about Keep The Faith.

I read in an article:

Michael loved “Keep The Faith” and always intended to include it in the new album. Michael and the team worked very hard, long hours on preparing the track, the music, everything. However, when belting out the final vocal, something happened that threw the entire song out of whack; Michael’s voice cracked

Michael was really taken aback and got upset about it. Because his voice was cracking, the pitch of the song would need to be dropped in order for Michael to deliver the vocals the way he wanted to.

Everyone was supportive, and they started over.

The final version that we all know and love from the “Dangerous” album, Brad recalled, is Michael delivering the track as if to say “I’m sorry” and “Thank you.” He said you can hear it in his voice.

I personally love Keep The Faith. And I would like to know how much of a difference this probably was. Always thought he sounded deeper because he got older.

He co-wrote it with Glen Ballard and Siedah Garrett. But if I remember correctly Glen and Siedah wrote the majority of it, and Michael just gave a little bit of input.

Michael wrote and added the bridge of the song. I can't find the quote but Siedah said that

Keep The Faith

"I really admire the work that went into this track. Anything Michael does, I can admire. It doesn't really remind you of any of his other songs; this one's a bit different to his usual tracks but it stands out. Michael's always innovative. With this track, I just think he went another way due to the structure of the track and the instruments used. Well, that and him working with Glen Ballard with the writing on it - they kind of went head-on with that track."

http://www.musicradar.com/news/guitars/michael-jackson-recording-dangerous-with-teddy-riley-211776

Production
Initially, Michael tried singing the first and second verses in the wrong key - then disappeared. "I found him standing in the corner of his office, crying his eyes out," recalls Bruce Swedien. "He was absolutely heartbroken - cut to the quick." Michael pulled himself together. "We went in the studio," said Swedien, "cut a whole new demo and recorded a scratch vocal all the way through... we didn't leave the studio until dawn."

"I think he's an incredible singer," said co-writer Ballard. "He'll spend two years making a record, then go out and sing all the lead vocals in a week. He's got such confidence and ability. I've worked with him sitting at a piano and having him sing, and it's just a religious experience - the guy is amazing... he's expressive, has great pitch, does incredible backgrounds. His backgrounds are probably as good as anybody I've ever heard - they're textures unto themselves."

http://michael-jackson.wikia.com/wiki/Keep_the_Faith

Back