Tracklist for Michael Jackson Duets Album

maidenman

Proud Member
Sony needs to come out with a record compiling the best of MJ's duets over the years that did NOT appear on Michael's albums.

Right?? Here's my proposed tracklist. Thoughts?

Say, Say Say - w/Paul McCartney
Get It - w/Stevie Wonder
There Must Be More to Life than This - Freddie Mercury
State of Shock - w/Mick Jagger
The Man- w/Paul McCartney
All in Your Name w/Barry Gibb
Ease on Down the Road w/Diana Ross
Serious Effect w/LL Cool J (UNRELEASED! ALBUM SELLER!)
Save Me w/Dave Mason
Tell me I'm not Dreamin' w/Jermaine Jackson

That's a nice even ten but I suppose we could include the tracks he sang on with Eddie Murphy and 3T for a dozen...

Last edited:
Let’s hope not. Nothing on there strong enough to sell a album. Let’s not give them any ideas please. We’ve had more than enough compilation albums. Repackage,repackage,repackage that’s what the estate does best.

The only duets album I remember being rumored or talked about at all was the possibility of taking unfinished Michael songs and releasing as duets to fill in the holes of the song..

As far as a duet album with already released tracks.. The main potential I see in that is to bring attention to songs that did not make any MJ albums.. compiling them together would be nice..

I'm not a big fan of compilations myself, but IF they were to do one, I guess I'd buy that over ones that are on MJ albums - cuz I have them all. I never purchased an album or song that was not under Michael Jacksons name and count as a sale for him specifically.

never bought Paul McCartney, Jagger music... Stevie I have though! I think the only person off the top of my head that he's done a duet that I've bought music of.

I'm not a big fan of compilations myself, but IF they were to do one, I guess I'd buy that over ones that are on MJ albums - cuz I have them all. I never purchased an album or song that was not under Michael Jacksons name and count as a sale for him specifically.

EXACTLY. This wouldn't be like any of the cashgrab hits compilations or gimmicks like the stripped mixes, it would ONLY be songs that never appeared on any MJ album and that therefore, ones that I bet most of us don't own. Perfect way to complete your collection!! I would love to buy an album like this and a I bet a lot of people would. Esp if there are unreleased tracks on there like the LL Cool J song, or the Barry Gibb song which has never been on a CD. And the Freddie Mercury song is only available on a Queen box set. This would be a GIFT to the fans.

And as for giving Sony ideas...Ha! do they read these boards??

No, thanks. We don’t need any more compilation albums of already released songs.

It would sell about as many copies as Scream did.
Not defending Scream, a pointless, shameless, cash grab of an album, but that album still made the top 40, debuting at 33 on the Billboard 200.

I bet a duets album like this hypothetical one, with songs even MJ fans generally don't have in their collection and that the casual listener has largely never heard before, would do a lot better. And most of the duets are with household names - we have lead singers from the Beatles, the Rolling Stones, the Bee Gees, Queen, plus Stevie Wonder and Diana Ross, its really an all-star lineup. It sure wouldn't do Xscape numbers but it would have a lot of appeal.

streams

Sony needs to come out with a record compiling the best of MJ's duets over the years that did NOT appear on Michael's albums.
Sony can't just release something like this. They would have to license the songs from other labels (that Sony didn't buy up) and the artists would have to approve their songs to appear on such a release. Depending on how much money the labels and/or artists ask for, it might be costly. Especially today when many people don't buy CDs or even download, streaming is the thing now. I don't think artists make that much money from streams.

Re: streams

They would have to license the songs from other labels (that Sony didn't buy up) and the artists would have to approve their songs to appear on such a release. Depending on how much money the labels and/or artists ask for, it might be costly. Especially today when many people don't buy CDs or even download, streaming is the thing now.

Great point. However, Sony has demonstrated they can do IP-sharing deals when there is money to be made. No one thought Spider-man would ever appear in an Avengers film...but he did, after Sony did a deal with Disney to share their characters that benefited everyone. No only did Spidey appear in several Marvel films but RDJ and Iron Man appeared in Spidey's film. That kind of deal could make an album like this possible too. As for format...yeah CD sales are down but streaming is up. And the genius move would be to put this out in VINYL, which continues to boom as a format. 14 million vinyl records were sold in the U.S. alone according to Nielsen in a widely reported study.

ANYWAY, putting aside for a moment the thorny legal and distribution issues, anyone else agree this would be a great collection of songs to own in one place, and to bring into the Michael Jackson canon?

Say, Say Say - w/Paul McCartney
Get It - w/Stevie Wonder
There Must Be More to Life than This - Freddie Mercury
State of Shock - w/Mick Jagger
The Man- w/Paul McCartney
All in Your Name w/Barry Gibb
Ease on Down the Road w/Diana Ross
Serious Effect w/LL Cool J (UNRELEASED! ALBUM SELLER!)
Save Me w/Dave Mason
Tell me I'm not Dreamin' w/Jermaine Jackson

I personally wouldn't want such a release. In my opinion it would be a total waste of possible releases of the Sony contract.
First of all because the album would be very weak. Only a few songs of these I consider as really good, some of them aren't really strong. And Serious Effect wouldn't be an album seller. It's very repetitive and therefor a bit boring imo. It sounds nothing like todays music (not that thats important for fans, but for other people who are not specifically interested in Michael's music).
I also can't imagine that people would buy songs just because there are big names on them. Nowadays you can easily listen to all songs before you decide to buy them. What I think is missing is quality. So I think far less copies than of Scream would be sold.
There's also no clear line in such an album. You can't blame Michael for that because the songs where made in many different eras and some of them were never released or really finished. So it would sound like a cheap compilation album. I use the word cheap because it's not a strong compilation. Only something for hardcore fans who would like to have them collected together. But even most fans wouldn't buy it, because they already have most songs.

Just my opinion, sorry for being so direct! :)

no No NO! Not another compilation album....especially a duet album? No thank you. I'd rather have a proper Dangerous anniversary package, or another studio album like Michael or Xscape (minus the fake vocals).

Great point. However, Sony has demonstrated they can do IP-sharing deals when there is money to be made. No one thought Spider-man would ever appear in an Avengers film...but he did, after Sony did a deal with Disney to share their characters that benefited everyone. No only did Spidey appear in several Marvel films but RDJ and Iron Man appeared in Spidey's film. That kind of deal could make an album like this possible too. As for format...yeah CD sales are down but streaming is up. And the genius move would be to put this out in VINYL, which continues to boom as a format. 14 million vinyl records were sold in the U.S. alone according to Nielsen in a widely reported study.

ANYWAY, putting aside for a moment the thorny legal and distribution issues, anyone else agree this would be a great collection of songs to own in one place, and to bring into the Michael Jackson canon?
Movies & music are different things. Movie blockbusters, like superheroes, reach a larger audience than music today. Superheros are also in video games, which is a large market. There's also the case that the duet partners are boomer era singers, not people who appeal to most of the younger audience, who would be needed to get larger CD sales like a Taylor Swift, Adele, and Bruno Mars. To some of them, Paul McCartney is a guy who was on a song with Rihanna & Kanye West.

We have to remember Sony and Sony Music work basically as two separate entities. The teams that work deals in one - does not work in the other. it's easier to think of them as two companies.

The artists with similar popularity to Drake are Ed Sheeran and Justin Bieber. But for both, any collaboration would just be a bit odd. Michael Jackson is the most appealing artist to the youth of today. But as for collaborations with bigger artists, Bruno Mars would be sensible, but he's stated he wouldn't do so because he has too much respect for Michael.

Oh I thought this had been announced. Misleading thread title.

Why not. Still much better than a 100. greatest hits compilation.

Should be spiced up with some duets from Michaels albums though. IJCSLY etc. Songs the public remember as MJ duetts, that would be missed otherwise.
Would also be a good home for a proper release of What More Can I Give.

But yes, licensing costs might get in the way (with some songs) of making it a cheap cash cow.

Duets album should & will happen in 20s decade, and that will hopefully extend MJ's record of most decades with top 10 hits. MJ has a lot of songs that he started but never finished, so it's better to get a contemporary artist to sing on those unfinished gems, rather than letting those songs go to waste. I'm all for a duets album.

Here's a fun game, let's play Awful Collaborations, name the worst possible, go.

1) Speed Demon (2018 Remix) Ft. PITBULL
2) Sunset Driver Ft. Eminem
3) Got The Hots Ft. Nicki Minaj
4) Thriller (2018 Remix) Ft. Flo Rida
5) Serious Effect (Latino Edition) Ft. J Balvin and Enrique Iglesias
6) Can't Take Your Weight Off Me Ft. Jake Paul
7) If You Don't Love Me Ft. Sean Paul and Steven Aoki
8) What More Can I Give? Ft. Kidz Bop

Deluxe Edition
9) Fall Again Ft. DJ Khaled
10) I Was The Loser (Whip / Nae Nae) Ft. Silentó
11) Someone Put Your Hand Out Ft. BTS and Skepta
12) All In Your Name (Trap Edition) Ft. Fetty Wap

Album artwork:

fyik1t.jpg

dpbseh.jpg

Last edited:

This is how you finish a demo of one of Michael's unfinished songs. This was done really well, even though Michael's vocals were not lead to start the track.

FD1998;4225220 said:
Here's a fun game, let's play Awful Collaborations, name the worst possible, go.

1) Speed Demon (2018 Remix) Ft. PITBULL
2) Sunset Driver Ft. Eminem
3) Got The Hots Ft. Nicki Minaj
4) Thriller (2018 Remix) Ft. Flo Rida
5) Serious Effect (Latino Edition) Ft. J Balvin and Enrique Iglesias
6) Can't Take Your Weight Off Me Ft. Jake Paul
7) If You Don't Love Me Ft. Sean Paul and Steven Aoki
8) What More Can I Give? Ft. Kidz Bop

Deluxe Edition
9) Fall Again Ft. DJ Khaled
10) I Was The Loser (Whip / Nae Nae) Ft. Silentó
11) Someone Put Your Hand Out Ft. BTS and Skepta
12) All In Your Name (Trap Edition) Ft. Fetty Wap

Album artwork:

fyik1t.jpg

dpbseh.jpg

I like the cover art and songs are interesting BUT...

No need to EVER release the dreadful Pitbull remix again - so let's change that with another unreleased song.
To have MJ and Eminem on the same song would be great! Eminem is amazing (I know he made one song that made MJ look bad, but that's how he is, he said it was not personal and he liked MJ!)

Also when I see your singers I feel old... I only know Eminem,
Nicki Minaj and
Enrique Iglesias :)

I am going to see Eminem tomorrow BTW - in Denmark. :cool:

I would like to see some more classic duets too. - Madonna, Mariah Carrey, Elton John, Bryan Adams - maybe they could release the Freddie Mercury/QUEEN duet on such a release too? - Actually I would like Rhianna or Lady Gaga too.[SUB][SUP]<strike>
</strike>[/SUP][/SUB]
<strike></strike>

If they could find alternative vocals for some of MJ's songs they could also make a new duet of an already released song.

Like IJCSLY - with new (alternative) MJ vocals and Lady Gaga.

The Girl Is Mine with alternative MJ vocals (demo maybe) and a great male singer - maybe JT again?

Hold My Hand made as a duet between MJ and a girl - maybe Rhianna? or Madonna?

Something like that could be interesting too. - Surely the album should also have mostly new songs that are incomplete and could not be released otherwise - but with alternative MJ vocals and a new duet partner - it could be great. - And sure it wouldn't take anything away from the original. Quite contrary it would show how great the original is.

A duet album could be a funny great album if made respectfully and time is taken to make it perfect. No rush.

I must reiterate that the tracklist was a joke haha with collaborations I wouldn't want to see

I must reiterate that the tracklist was a joke haha with collaborations I wouldn't want to see

Ahh - that makes sense then.. - :laughing:

I would like Eminem though - he is the greatest rapper. - And since MJ had (too much) rap-parts in his songs, Eminem would be Nice.
Don't know they singers you wrote, so didn't get they joke. :rofl: Only knew Eminem, Nicki Minaj and Enrique Iglesias :) - Feel I'm getting old...

Eminem could possibly work, he's more mature than he used to be and I know he does respect him, but it still happened, sadly

Eminem could possibly work, he's more mature than he used to be and I know he does respect him, but it still happened, sadly

Would be great with Eminem or Jay Z or both together ...we got Drake!!

Back