Dangerous 30 (speculation on double album) [MERGED]

Slave To The Rhythm

Proud Member
John Branca: "Well it might not be Dangerous 25 at this point, it might be Dangerous 30. But yeah we definitely wanna get to that."
(Michael Jackson's Thriller 3D Director Q&A | Tiff 2017)

So I think we can hope for it to happen!

I would like to discuss with you about five options of a second disc:

1. Unreleased finished songs
Just songs that were considered for the album in 1991. Like Monkey Business which didn't make the record to the surprise its producer and other songs that nearly made the album.
I would only like to see songs that Michael really considered for the album or some songs we never heard. If he didn't like on and left in in an early state it shouldn't be released.

2. Demos (and Unreleased finished songs)
A second option would be putting also some demos on the second disc or maybe a demo of each song.
On the other hand many demos have leaked already. They are nice to have but not something I would listen to very often and needed to have as an album (at least if the lyrics aren't complete, great to see how he worked but not as an album). But if there aren't enough finished unreleased songs that would be a nice option to complete the second disc in my opinion. And maybe there is another demo like the early Dangerous Demo which sounds completely different and is "complete". That's something I would love to have.
But I simply don't need the leaked demo of give in to me again for example, even though it's great.

3. Unreleased finished songs and "remixes" of them
I would only like to see this happen if the originals are also included. So maybe the first half of the second disc with reworked unreleased songs and the second half with the same songs untouched.
Maybe the original producers could come back for that or a very professional modern producer. Maybe another producer who worked on Dangerous but not on that song could reproduce it. That would provide that the keep the Dangerous sound.

4. A new Dangerous: Dangerous new produced by modern producers
I love Dangerous as it is and I don't think it sounds dated at all! The album is perfect, maybe the best album ever created.
But just as a bonus I could image a producer doing a modern sounding version of dangerous, just for fun. Not to replace it of course! I didn't like the remixed that would have been on the 2001 special edition because they sounded like remixes. I would prefer someone to work on them like they were never released or produced.

5. Official release of the 2001 special edition bonus disc
Completely leaked so nothing I would like to see happen.

Time for the discussion

So which option would be your favorite? And can you imagine something else as a second disc?
Do you already have a tracklist in mind? Which producer would you like to work on songs if you like option 3 or 4.?
What is your favorite unreleased outtake?

I don't want a discussion about releasing concerts etc.

I'm interested in your opinions! If you don't like something please give an explanation why

Last edited:
Re: Dangerous 30 (speculation on double album)

I would like a release similar to Bad 25, minus the remixes.

Guess that's 1 vote for option 1 😉 do you have certain unreleased tracks in mind?

1) Men In Black
2) She Got It
3) If You Don't Love Me
4) Serious Effect
5) Joy

Can't think of any others.

1) Men In Black
2) She Got It
3) If You Don't Love Me
4) Serious Effect
5) Joy

Can't think of any others.

Work that body
Ghost of another love
Janie is a groupie

I'm very conflicted with this idea. I would love another Bad 25 style project, but I would hate for the estate to "waste" really good demos with lots of potential on an anniversary edition, like with Price Of Fame, I'm So Blue and Al Capone.
With that being said I would love to hear Michael's version of Joy as I've adored Blackstreet's version for ages, but I feel they should save that and other complete songs for an actual album. Unless they were to release Joy as a single and really promote it. Same with any complete version of Men In Black.

I think it would be fascinating to hear Jane Is A Groupie, Michael McKellar, 7 Digits and Lonely Man. The titles alone and what we know of these songs are really intriguing. Also release Ghost Of Another Lover in good quality, I love that demo!!

As for any remix or edits absolutely not under any circumstance, they're almost never good enough and always boring. I'd rather they do what they did with the 2001 Special Edition's release them with the likes of Teddy Riley, Bruce Swedien and Brad Buxer being interviewed about songs and time's in the studio as apposed to fill up the CD with needless remixes.

In short, do what they did with Bad 25 and the Special Edition's but better. Save complete songs for albums or make a bigger deals out of the singles

They cleared the rights for the Bryan Loren songs that were meant to appear on a second disc for Dangerous SE in 2001, so they'll release those for sure + the other Jackson songs Michael had later issued on THE ULTIMATE COLLECTION (Dangerous demo, Monkey Business) as well as the two remixes (BoW, WII) and the short skit. I would not count on much more material, maybe 1-2 more demos - and more remixes or mash-up's.

I would like a documentary, seeing what went into the album, hearing it from those who worked on the album, unseen footage.. To me that is awesome to have as an anniversary celebration.

I would like a documentary, seeing what went into the album, hearing it from those who worked on the album, unseen footage.. To me that is awesome to have as an anniversary celebration.

And what would you like as a second disc? This thread is just about releasing music on a second disc not about documentaries or concerts and so on. ? but of course I would love to get a documentary too as it's my favorite album and I want to know everything about the creation process.

Well can I combine numbers? Because I'd like unreleased music and demos of music... I would actually like some songs that were meant for the compilation disc. Maybe the full version of the adult "I'll be There" etc. and a couple tracks that simply did not make the official album like "men In black"

They cleared the rights for the Bryan Loren songs that were meant to appear on a second disc for Dangerous SE in 2001, so they'll release those for sure

Was Bryan Loren ever a problem? Did he block some release? Why was second disc of 2001 SE cancelled?

OnirMJ;4215748 said:
Was Bryan Loren ever a problem? Did he block some release? Why was second disc of 2001 SE cancelled?

No, it was cancelled because they didn't feel the need to issue a bonus disc. It would have been quite a lot of new music which didn't sit well with how the other albums only got interviews (which were not done for the non-Quincy one) with only one new (oddly shortened) song for Thriller ("Carousel") and BAD ("Streetwalker") [as "Fly Away" was released in a different version in 1998 on Rebbie Jackson's "Yours Faithfully" album] as the others were all demos or previously released ("Someone In The Dark", "Todo Mi Amor Eres Tú"). They had already dropped "Sunset Driver" and "Starlight" which were early release contenders. The main reason is though that there was a major new release, a then brand-new album named INVINCIBLE that would have rendered the release of so much unheard material a pretty bad business decision.

Tbh if they release se bonus disc leaked songs we can't say anything bad about it. Because first of all they need official releases. Second of all we as fans leaked these and been listening to themfor years. It's not estates fault. Although I'd love "JOY", "MEN IN BLACK" and "GHOST OF ANOTHER LOVE".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tbh if they release se bonus disc leaked songs we can't say anything bad about it. Because first of all they need official releases. Second of all we as fans leaked these and been listening to themfor years. It's not estates fault. Although I'd love "JOY", "MEN IN BLACK" and "GHOST OF ANOTHER LOVE".

Those leaked songs + those 3 you mentioned and maybe one or two more from Bryan Loren and you have a perfect release.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hM0Vw9Ftck0

Dangerous 30 (speculation on double album)

Am I the only one who thinks that all Bryan Loren songs are just boring??
don't like any of them.
The only one of his which could be interesting seems to be Man In Black

Am I the only one who thinks that all Bryan Loren songs are just boring??
don't like any of them.
The only one of his which could be interesting seems to be Man In Black

I like:
1. Superfly Sister because it is finished and it sounds very cool and funky
2. Mind Is The Magic and Do The Bartman are also very cool especially Mind Is The Magic

From unreleased ones I like:
1. Man In Black - what I heard from that poor quality snippet sounds AMAZING!
2. She Got It - also very cool and funky like Superfly Sister
3. Happy Birthday Lisa (is that with Bryan Loren or not?)
4. If You Don't Love Me (is that with Bryan Loren or not?)

I don't like and find borring:
1. Work That Body
2. Serious Effect

I like:
1. Superfly Sister because it is finished and it sounds very cool and funky
2. Mind Is The Magic and Do The Bartman are also very cool especially Mind Is The Magic

I don't like and find borring:
1. Work That Body
2. Serious Effect

Is it known wether one of the Loren songs was a strong contender for the album and was just replaced shortly before the release?

Is it known wether one of the Loren songs was a strong contender for the album and was just replaced shortly before the release?

No. None of the songs were finished records (except Mind Is The Magic and Do The Bartman, of course) because at some point of the production Michael just decided to "replace" Bryan with Teddy. Not really replace him, but after hearing the stuff Teddy brought to the table, Bryan Loren stuff was just stopped and shelved until Michael pulled Superfly Sister in 1996 and polished it for release.

I think that after Teddy joined the project in 1991 that Bryan Loren stuff just kinda fell in the second place and that they never worked together again. I may be wrong because Bryan has some credits on HIStory album (I think on Money and maybe some other songs).

No. None of the songs were finished records (except Mind Is The Magic and Do The Bartman, of course) because at some point of the production Michael just decided to "replace" Bryan with Teddy. Not really replace him, but after hearing the stuff Teddy brought to the table, Bryan Loren stuff was just stopped and shelved until Michael pulled Superfly Sister in 1996 and polished it for release.

I think that after Teddy joined the project in 1991 that Bryan Loren stuff just kinda fell in the second place and that they never worked together again. I may be wrong because Bryan has some credits on HIStory album (I think on Money and maybe some other songs).

He also a few minor credits on the Dangerous albums for playing drums and so on... But you could be right. But I guessed he stopped and as a reason he searched for someone else and found Teddy. That's what I guess.

Also I believe Bryan mentioned he was very disappointed when he found out that none of his songs would make the record. So maybe the worked on some songs till the end

He also a few minor credits on the Dangerous albums for playing drums and so on... But you could be right. But I guessed he stopped and as a reason he searched for someone else and found Teddy. That's what I guess.

Also I believe Bryan mentioned he was very disappointed when he found out that none of his songs would make the record. So maybe the worked on some songs till the end

I think Michael was just not satisfied with the sound and production he was getting from Bryan and as the album release date was coming closer and closer Michael started to look elsewhere for that sound he was looking for. That's why in 1991 he started to work with LA Reid and Babyface but after just two weeks and one song he decided that that's not it either, so finally he called Teddy. Teddy came well prepared with 8 songs and they ended up recording and releasing eventually every one of them (except Joy). Plus 3 more Michael's own songs. So Teddy was the winner because he had the sound Michael was searching for and Bryan Loren was just put on hold.

It's kind of not right to speculate because you know damn well The Estate could care less about an anniversary release to this album. They missed the opportunity with the 25th anniversary (besides the release of cheap looking clothes at an unbelievably high price),what makes you possibly assume/speculate that they'll do something for the 30th?

It's kind of not right to speculate because you know damn well The Estate could care less about an anniversary release to this album. They missed the opportunity with the 25th anniversary (besides the release of cheap looking clothes at an unbelievably high price),what makes you possibly assume/speculate that they'll do something for the 30th?

I have several reasons for thinking Dangerous 30 is possible:

1. beside of promotion nothing else needs to be done for such a release. Sony has the rights of many outtakes and remixes are not necessary. They could put out a second disc easily. I know the argument doesn't really count because this was already the situation in 2017.

2. By 2021 a lot of time will have passed and they will sort of need to release something. After Bad 25 and Xscape and the opportunity to just re-release Off The Wall because of the documentary it just wasn't necessary to put something out in 2016.
Kind of believe the Off The Wall documentary was the main reason for not doing a Dangerous 25 release.
They can't do many more compilation albums. Scream was like one of the less left reasons (halloween theme) to put one out. So if they need to release something and a second disc for Dangerous would be kind of ready so why not?
So as a business decision it seems to be more clever to put it out after a while where nothing new was released and when nobody expects it. Fans will you crazy the moment the would announce it. At the beginning of 2016 I would say many expected it to come. I can understand that it wasn't released. If you have just songs that are nearly all leaked you need a different reason for it to sell good. That could be the time of the release. (Sorry I repeated myself a lot of times here, but I am kind of too lazy to put my thought in order now :D sorry for that! :D)

3. I can't believe they are saving the outtakes of Dangerous for an album like Xscape. Most are simply not good enough or doesn't sound contemporary enough. Otherwise at least on of them would have been on the Xscape album along with all other leaked songs.

4. Dangerous was his last really big album. Fans are begging for such a release. Guess they noticed the disappointment of fans in 2017.

Could name other reasons too but these are the first that came to my mind

And putting all arguments aside we can discuss about everything! That's the good thing about a fan forum! You find always people who are interested in the same theme than you are and who like to discuss with you about your ideas.

I never said it is guaranteed I just said what I hope for and maybe something of this will come true. If not for the 30th anniversary maybe for the 50th. But I'm pretty sure the time will come they release something for Dangerous.

Feel free to tell me your opinion about why I think such a release is possible 😊

Last edited:

What do all other fans think? Is a Dangerous 30 release possible? Why do you think the way you do? We should discuss this too! ?

I have several reasons for thinking Dangerous 30 is possible:

1. beside of promotion nothing else needs to be done for such a release. Sony has the rights of many outtakes and remixes are not necessary. They could put out a second disc easily. I know the argument doesn't really count because this was already the situation in 2017.

2. By 2021 a lot of time will have passed and they will sort of need to release something. After Bad 25 and Xscape and the opportunity to just re-release Off The Wall because of the documentary it just wasn't necessary to put something out in 2016.
Kind of believe the Off The Wall documentary was the main reason for not doing a Dangerous 25 release.
They can't do many more compilation albums. Scream was like one of the less left reasons (halloween theme) to put one out. So if they need to release something and a second disc for Dangerous would be kind of ready so why not?
So as a business decision it seems to be more clever to put it out after a while where nothing new was released and when nobody expects it. Fans will you crazy the moment the would announce it. At the beginning of 2016 I would say many expected it to come. I can understand that it wasn't released. If you have just songs that are nearly all leaked you need a different reason for it to sell good. That could be the time of the release. (Sorry I repeated myself a lot of times here, but I am kind of too lazy to put my thought in order now :D sorry for that! :D)

3. I can't believe they are saving the outtakes of Dangerous for an album like Xscape. Most are simply not good enough or doesn't sound contemporary enough. Otherwise at least on of them would have been on the Xscape album along with all other leaked songs.

4. Dangerous was his last really big album. Fans are begging for such a release. Guess they noticed the disappointment of fans in 2017.

Could name other reasons too but these are the first that came to my mind

And putting all arguments aside we can discuss about everything! That's the good thing about a fan forum! You find always people who are interested in the same theme than you are and who like to discuss with you about your ideas.

I never said it is guaranteed I just said what I hope for and maybe something of this will come true. If not for the 30th anniversary maybe for the 50th. But I'm pretty sure the time will come they release something for Dangerous.

Feel free to tell me your opinion about why I think such a release is possible ??

They won't do it. They pried that catalog out of his cold,dead fingers and they certainly have quit caring (as if they ever did to begin with,but now they really won't care anymore.) That's why I'm saying that I wish things would've been more different had someone else were in John Branca/John McClain's place because they've done nothing positive for Michael's legacy since 2009. Everything has been a cash-grab and nothing has been done due to the demand of fans or for Michael's message of love (with the exception of the Wembley concert release,but fans were still upset about that too). The only other good things to have come out were the Cirque shows and the Bad 25 and Off The Wall documentaries by Spike Lee. Otherwise every release has been an absolute miss and they've done nothing to better Michael's legacy or sue anyone who was trashing his name (i.e. Wade Robson/James Safechuck,tabloids,etc.). They've turned the Michael Jackson legacy into a joke and it's quite tragic.

OnirMJ;4215768 said:

OnirMJ;4215770 said:
I think Michael was just not satisfied with the sound and production he was getting from Bryan and as the album release date was coming closer and closer Michael started to look elsewhere for that sound he was looking for. That's why in 1991 he started to work with LA Reid and Babyface but after just two weeks and one song he decided that that's not it either, so finally he called Teddy. Teddy came well prepared with 8 songs and they ended up recording and releasing eventually every one of them (except Joy). Plus 3 more Michael's own songs. So Teddy was the winner because he had the sound Michael was searching for and Bryan Loren was just put on hold.

Slave To The Rhythm;4215769 said:

MJ was not satisfied with the sound and production he was getting from Bryan Loren.

Bryan Loren wanted for the ‘Dangerous’ album a feeling similar to the one of the ‘Off The Wall’ & ‘Thriller’ albums. Also, Loren sounds disappointed that eventually none of his songs made the ‘Dangerous’ album.

“… When we began working, it was my hope to return to a form of feeling that you got from the 'Off The Wall' or even the 'Thriller' Lp… As we’d recorded so much music and none of it was used for that project [‘Dangerous’], and much else occurred that I won’t go into here… We recorded some twenty-plus tracks together. Sadly, many of these we never finished…” (Bryan Loren)

But MJ was seeking something different for the ‘Dangerous’ album. In fact, MJ wanted a harsh, street sound similar to the ‘Spend The Night’ song (which was produced by Teddy Riley, Griffin & Hall for the ‘Guy’ album).

“And his [MJ’s] favorite song was ‘Spend The Night’ on the ‘Guy’ album. That was his favorite song of all times that I did. So, he said ‘I want that sound!’” (Teddy Riley)

So, Riley, with that in mind, presented initially to MJ two songs with a similar harsh sound, ‘Remember The Time’ & ‘Why You Wanna Trip On Me’. MJ became overjoyed by the sound of these two songs because it was exactly what he was looking for.

As a result, MJ & Riley, during those recording sessions, continued to work on that type of sound for other songs as well that eventually made the ‘Dangerous’ album.

Okey so we definitely can hope for Dangerous 30.

John Branca: "Well it might not be Dangerous 25 at this point, it might be Dangerous 30. But yeah we definitely wanna get to that."

So I really hope it will happen. Thanks to Mogul who posted the video in another thread!

So I really hope it will happen. Thanks to Mogul who posted the video in another thread!

Thanks for the credit!!

Sleep on the computer

Whenever I hear "If You Don't Love Me" I allways think it brings you in a good mood.

I really hope that if there will be Dangerous 30 that they just put songs on the second disc which nearly made the record or were at least considered at some point in 1991.
Or in different words songs that Michael really liked. So if he liked Men In Black (well I want to get to hear it ?) and it was never considered it should be on it too.
Guess that would exclude a lot of the Bryan Loren songs. And songs like Lisa It's Your Birthday or whatever it's called shouldn't be on it as it was never made for Dangerous.

Back