Michael wanted Heavy D to rap on a different song

Slave To The Rhythm

Proud Member
I saw an interview with Heavy D were he explained how he got to work with Michael Jackson and ended up on Jam.
On thing is really interesting. He mentioned that Michael wanted him to rap on a song which he didn't find good enough. So he told Michael that he doesn't like the song and he should work with Teddy Riley. 8 month later Heavy D got a call from Michael and Teddy and was asked to rap on Jam.

Does anyone know the name of the song he was asked to rap on but didn't want to?

Here's the interview: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6EA2jNCrPo

Last edited:
maybe serious effect which features ll cool j? Because it has to be a track that's made before Teddy joined the team and that was in quite a finished state

So Quincy confirms that Mike is trying to get hold of him, he tells Mike to work with T. Riley, and Quincy get's cut.....

ouch! haha

hmm, but wasn't it Quincy who recomended Teddy Riley to MJ? This is very interesting, I wonder if the song in question is Serious Effect or maybe Truth on Youth?

I heard MJ wanted to go in a different direction for Dangerous, and Q was never in consideration to work on it with him.

Teddy

hmm, but wasn't it Quincy who recommended Teddy Riley to MJ?
I'm not sure why this would be the case since Teddy produced a few songs on the 2300 Jackson Street album including the title track that Mike sang on. So Mike already worked with Teddy before Dangerous. Also, it would seem to me that Mike already heard Teddy's music, since in the US during the late 1980s, New Jack Swing was all over the radio, particularly Bobby Brown. If Boy George worked with Teddy during that time, then I'm pretty sure Mike would know about him. :laughing: NJS really blew up around 1987, first on R&B radio. The sound had began a year or 2 before that, but didn't have a name yet.

^ well to put things in total retrospect what became Dangerous started development in 1989.. According To Riley, when the first spoke, Michael told him he's working on "My album" Michaels album.. When discussing his first workings on Michaels music, he said that he has Salli Richardson in the studio who was inspiration for what he wrote "Remember The Time", "Can't Let Her Get Away", "She Drives Me Wild".. all the first week he worked in the studio for Mike!

re: Teddy

^ well to put things in total retrospect what became Dangerous started development in 1989..
But the brothers' album was released in early 1989. So more than likely, most of it was recorded in 1988. The 1st single Nothin', which was produced by L.A. & Babyface, came out before the album was released.

^ Yeah, I am not saying that Dangerous album was worked on before 2300 Jackson street. Just saying that it's still possible Riley worked on Dangerous tracks before 2300 Jackson street track.. By all accounts that's what happened, Rileys work with MJ was Dangerous first!

Re: Teddy

^ Yeah, I am not saying that Dangerous album was worked on before 2300 Jackson street. Just saying that it's still possible Riley worked on Dangerous tracks before 2300 Jackson street track.. By all accounts that's what happened, Rileys work with MJ was Dangerous first!
If The Jacksons album was recorded in 1988, and Dangerous was started in 1989. That could only mean that if Mike called Teddy in 1989 to work on his solo album, Teddy gave Mike some pre-recorded tracks that he made before working with the brothers. Which would mean they were not specifically made for Mike. Other than that, it sounds unlikely, unless Mike started working with Teddy on Dangerous pre-1989. Or that Mike wasn't actually in the studio with Teddy to do his vocals on 2300 Jackson Street, which is what happened with Stevie Wonder's Get It. Mike's vocals on that song was produced by Quincy Jones, but the song itself was produced by Stevie, according to the credits. I have The Jacksons' album in front of me now, and there's no indication in the credits that Mike recorded separately. There's also the case that since the brothers album is not that well known outside of the R&B audience, Teddy didn't mention it. The singles were hits on the R&B singles chart, but they got little crossover airplay.

According to this, Teddy got a call around 1991 to work with Mike. I also remember after Bad, there where reports that Mike was going to release an album of Beatles covers and then an album called Decade

Teddy always says in interview that he couldn't believe it back then when Michael's manager called and told him that Michael wanted to work with him on his new studio album.
And that he was very nervous before meeting Michael the first time. So they definitely didn't know each other in person or were in contact before Dangerous.

Teddy always says in interview that he couldn't believe it back then when Michael's manager called and told him that Michael wanted to work with him on his new studio album.
And that he was very nervous before meeting Michael the first time. So they definitely didn't know each other in person or were in contact before Dangerous.
The song was co-produced by The Jacksons, Teddy Riley, and Gene Griffin, so maybe the brothers recorded Mike & not Teddy, if that is the case. If you know about Teddy's history, Gene Griffin didn't really do anything, he just put his name on the records to get the money. There's a lot of songs that has Gene's name only as the producer and Teddy is not credited, even though Teddy was the real producer. Marlon has a credit as one of the engineers on the title track although he had nothing to do with the rest of the album and was not a member of the group. Gene is also credited as one of the writers on the 2300 Jackson Street song, along with Jermaine, Randy, Tito, Jackie, and also Aaron Hall, who is the lead singer of Guy, Teddy's group.

If The Jacksons album was recorded in 1988, and Dangerous was started in 1989. That could only mean that if Mike called Teddy in 1989 to work on his solo album, Teddy gave Mike some pre-recorded tracks that he made before working with the brothers. Which would mean they were not specifically made for Mike. Other than that, it sounds unlikely, unless Mike started working with Teddy on Dangerous pre-1989. Or that Mike wasn't actually in the studio with Teddy to do his vocals on 2300 Jackson Street, which is what happened with Stevie Wonder's Get It. Mike's vocals on that song was produced by Quincy Jones, but the song itself was produced by Stevie, according to the credits. I have The Jacksons' album in front of me now, and there's no indication in the credits that Mike recorded separately. There's also the case that since the brothers album is not that well known outside of the R&B audience, Teddy didn't mention it. The singles were hits on the R&B singles chart, but they got little crossover airplay.

Was the entire album recorded in 1988 though? do we know that? I mean I always read it as it started production in 1988.. I never knew when the album was "done" specifically 2300 Jackson Street!

I mean the album was not released until May 1989, how would we know what tracks were complete before Jan 1989?

Was the entire album recorded in 1988 though? do we know that? I mean I always read it as it started production in 1988.. I never knew when the album was "done" specifically 2300 Jackson Street!

I mean the album was not released until May 1989, how would we know what tracks were complete before Jan 1989?
Well, in that Teddy Riley interview that I posted the link for, he says that he was contacted to work on Dangerous in 1991, so it doesn't really matter if the 2300 Jackson Street song was recorded in 1988 or 1989. It was still 2 or 3 years before Teddy worked on Dangerous. Also it doesn't make a lot of sense to me that Teddy would work with Mike and then drop that all of a sudden to work with The Jacksons really quickly in time enough to release their album, which was already titled on the 1st single released early in 1989.

Themidwestcowboy;4215842 said:
hmm, but wasn't it Quincy who recomended Teddy Riley to MJ?

DuranDuran;4215864 said:
I'm not sure why this would be the case since Teddy produced a few songs on the 2300 Jackson Street album including the title track that Mike sang on.

In fact, Teddy Riley was supposed to work on the ‘BAD’, along with Quincy Jones. Both MJ & Quincy Jones wanted him to involve in that project.

But, some disputes emanating from Teddy Riley’s management at the time (Gene Griffin) eventually did not let that happen.

“… I was supposed to work on the ‘BAD’ album. Quincy wanted me on the ‘BAD’ album. And Michael wanted me on the ‘BAD’ album. And it was a big opportunity, but my management at the time they did not want me because of Michael…” (Teddy Riley)

So, Teddy Riley ended up working on MJ’s next album (‘Dangerous’) on Quincy Jones’ recommendation. Of course, MJ was also already familiar with Riley’s music & he wanted to incorporate Riley's sound style into his upcoming album (‘Dangerous).

Slave To The Rhythm;4215874 said:

MJ & Teddy Riley met (in person) for the very first time on the set of the ‘2300 Jackson Street’ music video.

Their meeting took place at Tito’s house, in which the shot of that music video took place, as well.

DuranDuran;4215869 said:
I also remember after Bad, there where reports that Mike was going to release an album of Beatles covers and then an album called Decade

It was David Geffen who talked MJ out of the ‘Decade’ album.

David Geffen was a very successful businessman at the time & MJ used to follow his advices a lot back then (as he did by canceling that ‘Decade’ project).

No. 2300 Jackson Street was released in 1989. Teddy joined Dangerous project in 1991.

Of course MJ heard of Teddy before and MJ knew his work with Guy, but I don't think they had any contact before that 1991 meeting. Those few lines MJ sang for 2300 Jackson Street could have been recorded anywhere and by anyone.

No. 2300 Jackson Street was released in 1989. Teddy joined Dangerous project in 1991.

Of course MJ heard of Teddy before and MJ knew his work with Guy, but I don't think they had any contact before that 1991 meeting. Those few lines MJ sang for 2300 Jackson Street could have been recorded anywhere and by anyone.

They never met before working on Dangerous that's a fact. Teddy told in an interview how they first met
One of the few interviews of Teddy you can find in YouTube

mj_frenzy;4215944 said:
MJ & Teddy Riley met (in person) for the very first time on the set of the ‘2300 Jackson Street’ music video.

Their meeting took place at Tito’s house, in which the shot of that music video took place, as well.

This can't be true. Teddy said in an interview that he first Michael in a room where all his platinum awards and so on hang on the wall. And there was sort of a chess game in the middle. Michael surprised him the moment he touched one figure of it.

Don't know if I recalled the story correctly... If not I'm sorry

Slave To The Rhythm;4215874 said:

Slave To The Rhythm;4215967 said:
They never met before working on Dangerous that's a fact.

Slave To The Rhythm;4215968 said:
This can't be true. Teddy said in an interview that he first Michael in a room where all his platinum awards and so on hang on the wall. And there was sort of a chess game in the middle. Michael surprised him the moment he touched one figure of it.

Don't know if I recalled the story correctly... If not I'm sorry

Their very first meeting (between Riley & MJ) took place on the set of the ‘2300 Jackson Street’ music video (at Tito’s house, to be exact). So, they had already met each other in person before Teddy Riley met him later again in early 1991 (at Neverland this time) for the ‘Dangerous’ album.

Both these two meetings have been well documented.

About Teddy Riley's nervousness, Riley was nervous (at that 1991 Neverland meeting) not because of MJ’s presence, but because of how MJ would react to the tracks that Riley had already prepared for him.

To me, the interesting part, concerning the connection between MJ & Riley before the ‘Dangerous’ era, is the fact that MJ & Quincy Jones wanted from Teddy Riley to work with them on the ‘BAD’ album.

But, as I mentioned, Gene Griffin’s many (& some of them rather odd) conditions eventually did not let that happen.

All this seems confusion primar8ly because of stories Riley has told... he definitely made it SOUND in some interviews dangerous was the first project and was the first music...

Mentioning he didn't believe Michael wanted to work with him, how Riley manager filtered the call etc.

If that wasn't the first project why would he not believe Michael was trying to reach him etc.

He really did make it SEEM like dangerous was the first reason Michael reached out to him..

Not saying that is the case, but...

Wasn't there an early version of Jam (before Teddy)? Maybe it was that.

No way, the song wasn't finished at all at this point. At least I believe they would only present a song to a rapper where the lyrics are done. Because the rapper has to know the theme of the song. The lyrics to Jam were written after Teddy worked on it (as far as I know) at least the verses were done after he made the beat.

But thank you! Finally someone who tries to solve the question of the thread!! ?

Back