Least Listened to Song on Each Album

MJFAN22

Proud Member
Hey MJ fam,

No hate because ALL MJ songs are unquestionable gold but when it comes down to personal preference which songs get played the least from each album in your households? Just out of interest.

Mine would go something like this:

OTW: It's the falling in love
Thriller: The lady in my life
Bad: Liberian girl
Dangerous: Can't let her get away
HIStory: D.S.
BOTDF: Morphine
Invincible: 2000 watts

Re: Least listened to song on each album?

OWT Girlfriend
Thriller Baby Be Mine
Bad Just Good Friends
Dangerous Gone Too Soon
HIStory Little Susie
BOTDF Most of the remixes
Invincible Don't Walk Away

You should rediscover the magic of Lady In My Life and Liberian Girl by the way, they get better with every listen

OTW: she's out of my life
Thriller: the girl is mine
Bad: Liberian girl
Dangerous: heal the world
HIStory: Childhood
BOTDF: Any remix (except 2bad)
Invincible: Cry/Lost Children/speechless/don't walk away/privacy/you are my life/

sorry, I just can't choose for Vince. I can't say I ever listened to any of the above much after the first few months of ownership.

sorry, I just can't choose for Vince. I can't say I ever listened to any of the above much after the first few months of ownership.

giphy.gif

I don't really pick and choose songs. I just put an album on and play it right through, from beginning to end.

There are songs that aren't my favourites, but I don't dislike them enough to skip them, altogether....not on an MJ album.

That being said, because I like lists.....here's my least liked song, album by album, from OTW to Invincible.

OTW: Burn This Disco Out
Thriller: The Girl is Mine
BAD: Dirty Diana
Dangerous: She Drives Me Wild
HIStory: D. S. (x1000)
BOTDF: Morphine
Invincible: Heartbreaker

originally wrote a detailed response covering Michael's entire output as a solo artist, but it didn't post for some reason.

here are the adult years:

'off the wall' - 'girlfriend' (sounds more like an immoral j5 song, along the lines of 'mama's pearl'), 'get on the floor' and 'burn this disco out' (musically I find them to be overwhelming and they have a dark energy due to the deep vocals and somewhat reckless lyrics), 'she's out of my life' - (works better as a live performance for me. slow..)

'thriller' - 'baby be mine' (lyrics are too ordinary and michael's voice sounds strained. the back beat is too similar to 'rock with you' - even down to the intro. there are certain sounds that prevent it from being the smooth groove it wants to be. I don't think it warrants the pitch shift) 'lady in my life' (despite the beautiful vocal, there's a lingering sadness I can't quite put my finger on. such a downer for the closing song. slow too..)

*note* I rarely venture beyond this point, as Michael's music became darker and angrier - to the point that it traumatised me. however, I have the experience to discuss these albums.

'bad' - 'bad' (contradicts the peaceful message of 'beat it' both lyrically and visually. I think Michael gave into the pressure from the media and his management to appear as edgy as his peers. his art was already compelling without that. he may have sacrificed his good role model status as a result). 'dirty Diana'...

'dangerous' - 'jam', 'why you wanna trip on me', 'in the closet', 'she drives me wild', 'dangerous', 'who is it', 'give into me', and 'keep the faith'.

it's difficult to hear Michael beneath the low, clenched teeth growls and yells. so little joy! there's a way to be groovy without being dark and industrial.

'history' - 'scream', 'they don't care about us', 'this time around', 'd.s', 'money', 'tabloid junkie', '2bad' (understandable meltdowns in response to a terrible situation. by right, they should not exist) 'history' and 'little Susie' (overblown productions with more focus on long intros and audio clips than actual songs. disjointed listens). 'come together' (a cover recorded over 10 years ago..)

'blood on the dancefloor' - tracks 1-5 (outtakes from previous albums and projects. not new by any means. again, full of misery. I prefer a few of the house remixes.

'invincible' - I only really like 'you rock my world' and 'butterflies'. the darker elements from the past are still present here. however, it's largely slow and forgettable.

Thriller:
Baby Be Mine, The Girl Is Mine, Beat It, The Lady In My Life

Bad:
Speed Demon

Dangerous:
none

HiStory:
Stranger In Moscow, This Time Around, D.S., Come Together, Childhood, Smile

Invincible:
Break Of Dawn, Heaven Can't Wait, 2000 Watts, Privacy, Threatend

I couldn't pick just one song of each album because I never really listen to some of each one...

Last edited:

childhood! I cannot stand that song lol

Haha, fun to read this... sometimes I am almost shouting out: 'Oh no! How could you choose that one!' I guess it's very personal...

My list:

OFF THE WALL:
She's Out Of My Live. Michael sings it beautifully, but I notice I always skip it. It makes me sad, I suppose.

THRILLER:
The Girl Is Mine. It sounds a bit childish as a duet. And overly sweet. I always thought Michael's original demo was WAY better... that version has a sort of dreamy quality to it, that is gone in the final version.

BAD:
Just Good Friends. It's not really a bad song. It's just that the other ones are so much better.

DANGEROUS:
Heal The World. I know this was an important song to Michael, but it sounded just too naive to me. I love Earth Song, for example, but that songs deals with frustration and anger, and that is something I can relate to. But the message to 'heal the world' – just like that – doesn't do it for me. I wished Michael didn't put this one on the record.

HISTORY:
Childhood. To me, he could have left that one to the soundtrack album of Free Willy II. Especially the crying bit on the end makes me uncomfortable.

BLOOD ON THE DANCE FLOOR:
Superfly Sister. I like it, had it been on an album with all Bryan Loren tracks. But how does this fit in between Morphine and Ghosts?

INVINCIBLE:
Heartbreaker. Because I was so disappointed. I was so excited when the bridge of this song leaked before the album was released... I so wanted to hear this song... only to discover it was pretty boring, apart from the bridge.

Off The Wall:
Rock With You- I know it's a fan favourite but I have always found it really boring.

Thriller:
PYT- Good song but I prefer the demo version released on the ultimate collection.

Bad:
Just Good Friends- Two iconic artists and this is the song they choose to use for a duet. Really disappointing.

Dangeorus
She Drives Me Wild- The only bad/average song on Dangerous.

HIStory:
Come Together- Honestly the most pointless song in MJ's career. The song itself is quite boring. MJ's version gives it some life but it's still quite dull and doesn't fit the HIStory album at all. MJ didn't even bother to re-record the vocals. He used the Bad era vocals. :rolleyes:

Invincible:
Privacy- Don't dislike the song as many others but it's clearly a weak song. MJ's processed vocals and the annoying camera sounds in the background give me a headache.

I always like to 'pick and choose' songs, usually my favourite is a mixture of 'Thriller' and 'Bad', you can't beat it! (bad pun lol)

Off The Wall:
She's Out Of My Life - I think it adds a sad note to a fantastically funky album. I know most albums have to have a ballad on, but this one makes me sad.

Thriller:
The Girl Is Mine - Too soppy and saccharine for me, I love cheesy songs but this is a step too far, imo!

Bad:
Speed Demon - It's just a bit too long for me, and it sounds kind of boring after a few listens.

Dangerous:
To be honest, I don't really listen to much of Michael's music after this period because it's full of (understandable) anger and frustration. That being said, I never really understand the love for 'In The Closet'.

HIStory:
D.S, Money, History....I only ever listen to Tabloid Junkie if I had to choose a song off this album.

Invincible:
Again, this album is too slow for my liking, so most songs from this record, I hardly listen to. My favourite is 'You Rock My World'...

originally wrote a detailed response covering Michael's entire output as a solo artist, but it didn't post for some reason.

here are the adult years:

'off the wall' - 'girlfriend' (sounds more like an immoral j5 song, along the lines of 'mama's pearl'), 'get on the floor' and 'burn this disco out' (musically I find them to be overwhelming and they have a dark energy due to the deep vocals and somewhat reckless lyrics), 'she's out of my life' - (works better as a live performance for me. slow..)

'thriller' - 'baby be mine' (lyrics are too ordinary and michael's voice sounds strained. the back beat is too similar to 'rock with you' - even down to the intro. there are certain sounds that prevent it from being the smooth groove it wants to be. I don't think it warrants the pitch shift) 'lady in my life' (despite the beautiful vocal, there's a lingering sadness I can't quite put my finger on. such a downer for the closing song. slow too..)

*note* I rarely venture beyond this point, as Michael's music became darker and angrier - to the point that it traumatised me. however, I have the experience to discuss these albums.

'bad' - 'bad' (contradicts the peaceful message of 'beat it' both lyrically and visually. I think Michael gave into the pressure from the media and his management to appear as edgy as his peers. his art was already compelling without that. he may have sacrificed his good role model status as a result). 'dirty Diana'...

'dangerous' - 'jam', 'why you wanna trip on me', 'in the closet', 'she drives me wild', 'dangerous', 'who is it', 'give into me', and 'keep the faith'.

it's difficult to hear Michael beneath the low, clenched teeth growls and yells. so little joy! there's a way to be groovy without being dark and industrial.

'history' - 'scream', 'they don't care about us', 'this time around', 'd.s', 'money', 'tabloid junkie', '2bad' (understandable meltdowns in response to a terrible situation. by right, they should not exist) 'history' and 'little Susie' (overblown productions with more focus on long intros and audio clips than actual songs. disjointed listens). 'come together' (a cover recorded over 10 years ago..)

'blood on the dancefloor' - tracks 1-5 (outtakes from previous albums and projects. not new by any means. again, full of misery. I prefer a few of the house remixes.

'invincible' - I only really like 'you rock my world' and 'butterflies'. the darker elements from the past are still present here. however, it's largely slow and forgettable.

Hmmmm....you don't seem to like much at all. Yikes! I'm going to go and hug all of Michael's songs, right now! Lol.

Off The Wall: It's The Falling In Love
Thriller: Human Nature
BAD: Another Part Of Me
Dangerous: Black Or White
HIStory: Scream
Blood On The Dancefloor: I like all of them the same (despite the remixes)
Invincible: Don't Walk Away

I haven't done the math to determine the balance of what I like versus dislike in regards to michael's songs. I can promise that the things I like, I like a lot! Lol it's more about quality than quantity for me. Michael is my favourite artist despite the songs I listed. Sometimes it's about the negative effects some songs have on me, rather than their value. It's personal and a little complicated..

OTW- Girlfriend (probably MJ's worst track he recorded and released on an album)
Thriller- Girl Is Mine (sorry to say, but I like Say Say Say better)
Bad- Leave Me Alone
Dangerous- Why You Wanna Trip On Me
HIStory- Money
BOTDF- The remixes (except for Scream Louder, that's the best one)
Invincible- Invincible

OTW - She's Out Of My Life (A great song, but OTW is one of my favourite albums with how upbeat it is)
Thriller - The Lady in my Life
Bad - Just Good Friends
Dangerous - Gone Too Soon
HIStory - Smi
BOTDF - The Remixes
Invincible - You Are My Life
Michael - Hold My Hand (the weakest song on the entire album imo)
XScape - Love Never Felt So Goox

Off the wall - she's out of my life

Thriller - the girl is mine

Bad - bad (I think I over played it as a kid)

Dangerous- dangerous (I listen to the live version more).. by watching it lol

History - little suzie

Blood on the dance floor- the remixes, if that's not cheating

Invincible - lost children

Last edited:
Off the Wall - "Rock With You"
Thriller - "P.Y.T. (Pretty Young Thing)"
Bad - "Just Good Friends"
Dangerous - "Gone Too Soon"
HIStory - "Smile"
Blood on the Dance Floor - tracks 7-13
Invincible - "Cry"

OTW - Burn This Disco Out
Thriller - The Lady in my Life
Bad - Just Good Friends
Dangerous - Why You Wanna Trip On Me
HIStory - Little Susie
BOTDF - All The Remixes
Invincible - 2000 Watts

OTW: Get On The Floor
Thriller: The Lady In My Life
Bad: Liberian Girl
Dangerous: Can't Let Her Get Away
HIStory: Childhood
BOTDF: Superfly Sister
Invincible: Heaven Can Wait

OTW: Girlfriend
Thriller: Baby Be Mine
Bad: Bad
Dangerous: Heal The World
History: Childhood
BOTD: Superfly Sister (only counting tracks 1-5, not the remixes)
Invincible: You are My Life. Closely followed by Privacy and 2000 Watts

Otw:dstyge
Thriller:perfect
Bad: just good friends
Dangerous: cant let her get away & she drives me wild.....1 couldve been replaced with joy
HIStory:you are not alone
Botdf: some remixes
Invincible: cry
Tuc: beautiful girl

I think beautiful girl is my most hated song by him..... it sounds so country like. I just can't get with it. I would love to hear the way you love me on full & the 2001 version of cheater. Why wasn't it or hadn't been leaked yet like the invincible title track cover

Off the Wall - Girlfriend, Too sugary and saccharine
Thriller - Thriller, Just been played to death it tires me a bit, but live it is always fun
Bad - I love this whole album, but Speed Demon is the only fillery song, still good but not on the level of the track that precedes it.
Dangerous - I can't let her get away, it is still good but really a chant and a filler next to the goldon this album.
HIStory - Childhood is insipid
BODF - The 8 remixes, I pretty much click stop after the brilliance of Is it Scary, of the 5 tracks though Superfly sister is the weakest
Invincible - The Lost Children, it needs to get more lost
Michael - Any of the Cascio tracks
Invincible - Can't do it, all great tracks, but I guess Place with no name and I still love it (Originals, not remasters/remixes)

Mine is :

OTW: Burn This Disco Out
Thriller: Baby Be Mine
Bad: Leave Me Aline
Dangerous: Can't Let Her Get Away
BOTDF: Any remix
Invincible 2000 Watts

OTW:
Girlfriend

Thriller:
Baby Be Mine

Bad: