Why the word STAN should not be used

moonstreet

Guests
This has been bugging me for a while. I first saw it creeping into fan language on Twitter a few years ago and now I see it starting to creep in here.

Many many young fans, those who became active online in the last 10 years have no knowledge about the origins of this word. They just think that its another word for fan. When you actually look at the lyrics and video you realise just how wrong it is to use this word

STAN is the name of an Eminem song released in 2000. It is about a fan who writes to Eminem and when he doesn't get a reply he kills himself and his pregnant girlfriend. It is a paints a very disturbing picture of a fan who can not separate the artist Eminem from the person Marshall Mathers

[video=youtube;WU9DzMhdeEo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WU9DzMhdeEo[/video]

These are the lyrics

[Hook: Dido]
My tea's gone cold
I'm wondering why I got out of bed at all
The morning rain clouds up my window
And I can't see at all
And even if I could it'd all be gray
But your picture on my wall
It reminds me that it's not so bad, it's not so bad

[Verse 1: Eminem (as Stan)]
Dear Slim, I wrote you, but you still ain't callin'
I left my cell, my pager and my home phone at the bottom
I sent two letters back in autumn, you must not've got 'em
There probably was a problem at the post office or somethin'
Sometimes I scribble addresses too sloppy when I jot 'em
But anyways, **** it, what's been up, man? How's your daughter?
My girlfriend's pregnant too, I'm 'bout to be a father
If I have a daughter, guess what I'ma call her?
I'ma name her Bonnie
I read about your Uncle Ronnie too, I'm sorry
I had a friend kill himself over some bitch who didn't want him
I know you probably hear this every day, but I'm your biggest fan
I even got the underground shit that you did with Skam
I got a room full of your posters and your pictures, man
I like the shit you did with Rawkus too, that shit was phat
Anyways, I hope you get this, man, hit me back
Just to chat, truly yours, your biggest fan, this is Stan

My tea's gone cold
And I can't see at all

[Verse 2: Eminem (as Stan)]
Dear Slim, you still ain't called or wrote, I hope you have a chance
I ain't mad, I just think it's ****ed up you don't answer fans
If you didn't want to talk to me outside the concert
You didn't have to
But you coulda signed an autograph for Matthew
That's my little brother, man, he's only six years old
We waited in the blisterin' cold
For you, for four hours, and you just said no
That's pretty shitty, man, you're like his ****in' idol
He wants to be just like you, man, he likes you more than I do
I ain't that mad though, I just don't like being lied to
Remember when we met in Denver?
You said if I'd write you, you would write back
See, I'm just like you in a way: I never knew my father neither
He used to always cheat on my mom and beat her
I can relate to what you're sayin' in your songs
So when I have a shitty day, I drift away and put 'em on
‘Cause I don't really got shit else
So that shit helps when I'm depressed
I even got a tattoo of your name across the chest
Sometimes I even cut myself to see how much it bleeds
It's like adrenaline, the pain is such a sudden rush for me
See, everything you say is real, and I respect you ‘cause you tell it
My girlfriend's jealous ‘cause I talk about you 24/7
But she don't know you like I know you, Slim, no one does
She don't know what it was like for people like us growin' up
You gotta call me, man
I'll be the biggest fan you'll ever lose, sincerely yours, Stan
P.S. We should be together too

My tea's gone cold
And I can't see at all

[Verse 3: Eminem (as Stan)]
Dear Mr. I'm-Too-Good-to-Call-or-Write-My-Fans
This'll be the last package I ever send your ass
It's been six months, and still no word — I don't deserve it?
I know you got my last two letters
I wrote the addresses on 'em perfect
So this is my cassette I'm sendin' you, I hope you hear it
I'm in the car right now, I'm doin' 90 on the freeway
Hey, Slim, I drank a fifth of vodka, you dare me to drive?
You know the song by Phil Collins, "In the Air of the Night"
About that guy who coulda saved that other guy from drownin'
But didn't, then Phil saw it all, then at a show he found him?
That's kinda how this is: you coulda rescued me from drownin'
Now it's too late, I'm on a thousand downers now, I'm drowsy
And all I wanted was a lousy letter or a call
I hope you know I ripped all of your pictures off the wall
I loved you, Slim, we coulda been together — think about it!
You ruined it now, I hope you can't sleep and you dream about it
And when you dream I hope you can't sleep
And you scream about it; I hope your conscience eats at you
And you can't breathe without me
See, Slim— shut up, bitch! I'm tryin' to talk
Hey, Slim, that's my girlfriend screamin' in the trunk
But I didn't slit her throat, I just tied her up, see I ain't like you
‘Cause if she suffocates she'll suffer more and then she'll die too
Well, gotta go, I'm almost at the bridge now
Oh shit, I forgot, how am I supposed to send this shit out?!

My tea's gone cold
And I can't see at all

[Verse 4: Eminem]
Dear Stan, I meant to write you sooner, but I just been busy
You said your girlfriend's pregnant now, how far along is she?
Look, I'm really flattered you would call your daughter that
And here's an autograph
For your brother; I wrote it on a Starter cap
I'm sorry I didn't see you at the show, I musta missed you
Don't think I did that shit intentionally just to diss you
But what's this shit you said about you like to cut your wrists too?
I say that shit just clownin', dawg, come on, how ****ed up is you?
You got some issues, Stan, I think you need some counselin'
To help your ass from bouncin'
Off the walls when you get down some
And what's this shit about us meant to be together?
That type of shit'll make me not want us to meet each other
I really think you and your girlfriend need each other
Or maybe you just need to treat her better
I hope you get to read this letter
I just hope it reaches you in time
Before you hurt yourself, I think that you'll be doin' just fine
If you relax a little, I'm glad I inspire you, but Stan
Why are you so mad? Try to understand
That I do want you as a fan
I just don't want you to do some crazy shit
I seen this one shit on the news
A couple weeks ago that made me sick
Some dude was drunk and drove his car over a bridge
And had his girlfriend in the trunk
And she was pregnant with his kid
And in the car they found a tape, but they didn't say who it was to
Come to think about it, his name was… it was you, damn

Don’t get me started on that fool. Anyways I kinda agree, I was called “STAN” less than a couple of weeks ago on YouTube, this some MJ claimed fan named Sandra Jovic started the insults towards me and calling me that. She pissed me and she hurts me and she got lucky I that I would’ve called worst insults towards her, but I muted her instead and yet she shuts up and never bothered me again. I’ve mentioned this on the Chat Box then and no acknowledged my anger over what I explained.

I completely agree with you. It sounds like such a silly word to me and I see it all over instagram - it's so annoying in the same vain as 'yaaaaaaas'. Ugh.
I also think that the younger people aren't aware of the original meaning, I've seen it being explained as an alternative of 'super-fan' or 'stalker-fan' (which is what the song implies).
Anyways, the song is awful (as it is intended to be), I'm not an Eminem fan but he's a good storyteller. This song was huge when it was released, didn't realise how old it was!

Thank you so much, moonstreet! I have never liked the term, myself. Even though I wasn't aware of the origins of it, to me, it has always had a derogatory feeling to it......it signifies a "next-level" fan, who is seen to be crazy, unhinged, psychotic, etc. I have always resented being called a "stan". Now that you've shown us the sinister meaning behind it, I think we can definitely do our best to expunge it from the vocabulary of MJJC, at least.....if not elsewhere!

The culture of stans is absolutely disgusting as well. I'm a first-hand witness being a member of several other popular artist-related forums. The amount of insults hurled at artists to bring up their favorite artists is absolutely disgusting. They've even insulted Michael which I'm never here for in any capacity. My advice: avoid those forums on all costs. The only reason I'm even signed into those forums anymore is media purposes. Otherwise they're very toxic environments.

Might be a generational thing but I never heard someone called Stan nor have I heard someone called Stan..

I'm very familiar with the song though, honestly if being called Stan is an honest stress to someone (my opinion) he/she may need to prioritize what to simply let go.. all our lives have (or will have) much larger things to worry about than being called "stan"..

I'd personally not give a crap if someone called me Stan but if you can't help but to respond.. just call yourself a "dear michael".. ;)

Hey it's an mj song about a big fans letter to michael.. close enough theme..

Might be a generational thing but I never heard someone called Stan nor have I heard someone called Stan..

Yes its a generational thing, I see it mostly used in the Generation Z or young millennial age group, those born since Dangerous was released

Just another word of advice: do NOT under any circumstances delve into the world of pop culture fan forums (dedicated to Lady Gaga, Madonna, Prince). Those are the deepest cesspools of negativity on the Internet. A lot of very hateful people and one in particular for Lady Gaga... the crowd is 98% millennial/generation Z people. Many disrespectful threads/comments have been made in particular about MJ,including (but not limited to) skin color jokes,pedophilia accusations,calling his entire discography "generic and overrated",and many more. Just save yourself blood pressure medication and listen to me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just another word of advice: do NOT under any circumstances delve into the world of pop culture fan forums (a la ATRL,GagaDaily,MadonnaNation,prince.org,etc.). Those are the deepest cesspools of negativity on the Internet. A lot of very hateful people and on GagaDaily the crowd is 98% millennial/generation Z people. Many disrespectful threads/comments have been made in particular about MJ,including (but not limited to) skin color jokes,pedophilia accusations,calling his entire discography "generic and overrated",and many more. Just save yourself blood pressure medication and listen to me.

I totally believe you. The joke is on them, though, because their faves, like Prince, for example, respected Michael. Madonna and Lady GaGa love MJ and his work. Lady GaGa has bought many, many MJ items, including some of his iconic jackets and she has spoken with great reverence about him, in interviews.

Just another word of advice: do NOT under any circumstances delve into the world of pop culture fan forums (a la ATRL,GagaDaily,MadonnaNation,prince.org,etc.). Those are the deepest cesspools of negativity on the Internet. A lot of very hateful people and on GagaDaily the crowd is 98% millennial/generation Z people. Many disrespectful threads/comments have been made in particular about MJ,including (but not limited to) skin color jokes,pedophilia accusations,calling his entire discography "generic and overrated",and many more. Just save yourself blood pressure medication and listen to me.

I completely agree with you on this post. I used to be on a Lady Gaga site in 2010 (what a throwback!) and most members also raved about how great another different site was, but one thing I could never understand (and still don't) is the reason as to why you would take time out of your life to 'bash' other artists? What does it achieve? (Answer: Nothing.) In my opinion, places like that actually end up ruining your favourite musicians for you because they are just so toxic. That's why I like it here. There's no drama, there's no gossip, there's no unnecessary delving into people's personal lives, and there's no negativity.

Bunch of morons they are.

I also just left one forum because there's no moderators over there doing their job except extremely rarely and there are several members that keep joining that are haters in disguise as fans. It's ridiculous. There's one user that keeps making these awful threads: one being most recently titled "MJ and his need for pity..". Like seriously?

I know Im not a mod, but I didnt create this thread to call out or bash other forums, I created it to give information, please lets not derail my topic, thanks.

I know Im not a mod, but I didnt create this thread to call out or bash other forums, I created it to give information, please lets not derail my topic, thanks.

Agreed.

From the MJJC Admin team:please everyone, do not criticise other forums and do not name them, particularly if you have something negative to say; even if they are no longer operational! Contributing your thoughts to the discussion (on topic) is great, but remember to speak in general terms only, about any personal experiences on other forums or boards. We need to remain professional and above reproach, at all times.

I saw today that the @ParisNews twitter account was conducting a poll about choosing a name for Paris Jackson fans and it was also asking for alternative ideas that were not already on the poll.

One of the suggestions on the poll was to call them Paris STANS. I tweeted a reply giving a resounding "No!" to the name "Paris Stans".

No, no, no.

it's so annoying in the same vain as 'yaaaaaaas'. Ugh.

Don't get me started on that. That has to be one of the worst internet trends ever. It's even worse when I see people write something like ''Yaaaaaaas, Queen. Slay'' - I cringe everytime I see it

Back