"This is It" Poster

wonderouzmj

Proud Member
Does anyone know why they changed the photo to an impersonator instead of using the original?
9742e0244440bf7e3c1470c12eb9d984.jpg
9ec110acbac6527b7227d1d191123a7c.jpg

Re: This is it poster

Who knows? My assumption would be that Michael wasn't around to take that pose for the poster so they had to improvise with the impersonator. And I always thought that the Smooth Criminal silhouette poster was a fan made poster.

Who knows? My assumption would be that Michael wasn't around to take that pose for the poster so they had to improvise with the impersonator. And I always thought that the Smooth Criminal silhouette poster was a fan made poster.
Yea but Michael has billions...& i mean BILLIONS of photos out here....unreleased photos & all...just as a fan made the 2nd photo above...im confused as to why they keep using false images,voices,...how could they think they could just do us this way...its like imo they are tarnishing his image once again....the biggest artist in the world has nothing good pf quality & as much work & etc was put into every project,im not sure what to think is next

I always thought the false advertising of having "Michael" in his Billie Jean outfit and fedora on the poster (toward the center) was in very poor taste, considering it wasn't in the film. Not to mention, judging by the fingers, it's probably an impersonator too.

Yea but Michael has billions...& i mean BILLIONS of photos out here....unreleased photos & all...just as a fan made the 2nd photo above...im confused as to why they keep using false images......its like imo they are tarnishing his image once again....the biggest artist in the world has nothing good pf quality & as much work & etc was put into every project,im not sure what to think is next

How is it tarnishing his image, when it's a stylised depiction of him, anyway? I never took it as having to actually be him, but moreso just his iconic pose. The images of him are inside of the stylised silhouette.

I always thought the false advertising of having "Michael" in his Billie Jean outfit and fedora on the poster (toward the center) was in very poor taste, considering it wasn't in the film. Not to mention, judging by the fingers, it's probably an impersonator too.

Michael had a stand-in/body double working on the TII project, just as he did for his music videos and short films....chances are the image may be the stand in....it's a bit hard to tell. It's also possible that Michael rehearsed in the Billie Jean jacket, but that segment didn't make it into the film that was released. There were hours and hours of footage (supposedly about 100) that (figuratively speaking) ended up on the editing room floor. In any case, that small part of the overall image does not detract from the visual impact of the poster design, in my opinion.

Who knows? My assumption would be that Michael wasn't around to take that pose for the poster so they had to improvise with the impersonator. And I always thought that the Smooth Criminal silhouette poster was a fan made poster

Yes, exactly.

How is it tarnishing his image, when it's a stylised depiction of him, anyway? I never took it as having to actually be him, but moreso just his iconic pose. The images of him are inside of the stylised silhouette.
I'm not speaking just of this is it in terms of them tarnishing his image. All in general

Mikky Dee;4218192 said:
Michael had a stand-in/body double working on the TII project, just as he did for his music videos and short films....chances are the image may be the stand in....it's a bit hard to tell. It's also possible that Michael rehearsed in the Billie Jean jacket, but that segment didn't make it into the film that was released. There were hours and hours of footage (supposedly about 100) that (figuratively speaking) ended up on the editing room floor. In any case, that small part of the overall image does not detract from the visual impact of the poster design, in my opinion.

Just as he did for his music videos and short films? Seriously? That occurred exactly once for the ‘Who Is It’ video because Michael didn’t want to finish shooting it due to a clash with sony. So they hired a stand in for a few pickup shots. Other than that, no one other than Michael Jackson has ever appeared in his videos or short films. As for concert shows, a stand in was only ever used twice: for the Thriller segment “magic trick” and the space flight finale of the Dangerous tour.

I don’t think it’s ok to put a photo of someone other than Michael Jackson and claim it’s him just because he’s dressed for the part. Does it detract from the poster? No, it actually makes it look cooler, which is why it’s false advertising and unprofessional.

P.S. And possibly the hooded figure in ‘Remember the Time’ before he’s transformed into Michael.

Last edited:
Re: This is It" Poster

Is there any offical posters out there with that second design. Cant say iv ever seen it. As said by others prob just a fan made design as it doesnt even look that good compaired to the original.

And how is that an impersonator. Both are digital designs the second one the smooth crim one as someone said above. I lnow some dont like the estate but at least lets critize when its legitimate otherwise it looks like its a case of scrapeing the barrell and does no good to the cause when there is legitimate issues

I believe the second design was a mock up done to show that they could’ve used an existing silhouette of Michael rather than create a false one. Personally, I like the poster and I don’t know if the silhouette actually belongs to Michael or not. However given the fact that there were no photos or footage of Michael actually wearing the glove or the Billie Jean outfit on stage, some have found it skeptical. If it truly existed and they decided to use it front and center for the advertising then it makes little sense for them not to show it. Otherwise, I loved the film and I like the poster. I’m just highlighting the unprofessional behavior on their part if it were indeed a stand-in. And the posthumous album debacle a year later is surely not in their favor.

The official poster looks much better than that fan made version.

I'm not sure but the photo could be from Bad Tour. His skin looks darker and he wore a t-shirt like that on Bad Tour.

Other than that, no one other than Michael Jackson has ever appeared in his videos or short films.

I wasn't suggesting that there were doubles and stand-ins all over the place, in the finished product of videos and short films. I meant that it was common place for them to be there to "stand in" during the planning and set up process....to work out shots and camera angles; where everyone should be positioned and what they should be doing, etc.

Michael's double on "Black or White"

I'm not speaking just of this is it in terms of them tarnishing his image. All in general

Michael's image was tarnished by the allegations. There is no other way to go from there, but UP. Proof of the continued strength of his image and legacy (despite everything) is demonstrated, daily, by how deeply entrenched his music, his dance, his message and his style is, in pop culture worldwide.

Yeah Mike has had stand ins for various videos.. not just who is it...

Who is it/remember the time/black or white/stranger I moscow... and just between you and me lol... I am not 100% convinced it was Michael sliding behind the beeds in rock my world..

Nothing the Estate does can tarnish Michael's image-not even a poster. Not a hologram. Not even contemporized songs or supposed fake songs. That's just on the integrity of the Estate, itself, and they can make mistakes. Michael has nothing to do with it.

His legacy was created and established long before June, 2009-that's what I love and celebrate and that will live on.

Yeah Mike has had stand ins for various videos.. not just who is it...

Who is it/remember the time/black or white/stranger I moscow... and just between you and me lol... I am not 100% convinced it was Michael sliding behind the beeds in rock my world..
There are photos of his stand-in during the HIStory teaser. It's a common practice in Hollywood to have a stand-in.

73955c3474192421773e795d2a728279.jpg

You’re right guys, I stand corrected on that. Didn’t realize we had so many confirmed instances of stand-ins/doubles.

I see no problem...

MJ himself could propably have used a photo from his tours from Thriller with the werewoolf mask - that's also a stand in...

The silouette is made as PR to a film... Iconic stance. - that's it.

I don't remember seeing this before. Thanks! Michael's reaction is great. :D

You're welcome. It's part of the "Behind the Scenes" footage for the filming of Black or White. The quality of this particular video of this part, is horrible, but there are better ones around....I didn't have time to look, last night before posting.

Nothing the Estate does can tarnish Michael's image-not even a poster. Not a hologram. Not even contemporized songs or supposed fake songs. That's just on the integrity of the Estate, itself, and they can make mistakes. Michael has nothing to do with it.

His legacy was created and established long before June, 2009-that's what I love and celebrate and that will live on.

Hallelujah, bravo and thank YOU!!

His legacy has been tested beyond ant mistakes the estate (or any other person) can make..

His imprint is in our world forever!!

The Great Sphinx of Giza - it can age thousands and thousands of years, physically deteriate, and even it's nose can be chiseled off.. people still travel thousands of miles to view it!

His legacy has been tested beyond ant mistakes the estate (or any other person) can make..

His imprint is in our world forever!!

The Great Sphinx of Giza - it can age thousands and thousands of years, physically deteriate, and even it's nose can be chiseled off.. people still travel thousands of miles to view it!

Unfortunate analogy, about the nose, but I know what you mean and I agree with you. MJs legacy is perfectly fine....in fact, I would say his children are his living legacy and they will continue to make him proud, as the years unfold.

Everyone knows the people currently behind the Michael jackson machine are crooks. But it’s not because of things like this.

Back