Lionel Richie Talks About Michael on "The Talk"

Re: Lionel Richie talks about Michael on The talk.

Another link - as the first one ist blocked in some countries

Video:https://au.news.yahoo.com/video/wat...g-we-are-the-world-at-michael-jacksons-house/
The Talk - Lionel Richie On 'Wild' Time Writing 'We Are The World' at Michael Jackson's House

Lionel Richie visits "The Talk" and reveals a "wild" tale about writing "We Are The World" with Michael Jackson at his house. "Michael loved to collect animal and reptiles.... so right in the middle of writing this song, we were eating downstairs and there's this dog barking hysterically and we heard... 'shut up, shut up' so I'm thinking...'What's going on, Michael?' And he said, 'That's the bird having an argument with the dog,' recalls Richie. "Now it gets worse. I'm lying on the floor working on the lyrics to 'We Are The World' and I hear 'hssss'....'hssss' and I'm looking at Michael and all of a sudden I'm looking out the corner of my eye and the albums against the wall are falling down....and there's an albino python. And he goes, 'There he is Lionel, we found him, we found him. We knew he was in the room somewhere, Lionel. He wants to come out and play with you'...I was screaming like the last woman in a horror movie. I was screaming so loud."

LMAO!!!
Michael loved all creatures ?3

This the perfect story before going to bed! hahahaha Wish Lionel would tell us more stories like this :laughing: good night everyone zzzzz

Too funny. I think I've heard this story before or a variation of it. I liked this part: 'That's the bird having an argument with the dog,' :laughing:

Another link - as the first one ist blocked in some countries

Video:https://au.news.yahoo.com/video/wat...g-we-are-the-world-at-michael-jacksons-house/
The Talk - Lionel Richie On 'Wild' Time Writing 'We Are The World' at Michael Jackson's House

Lionel Richie visits "The Talk" and reveals a "wild" tale about writing "We Are The World" with Michael Jackson at his house. "Michael loved to collect animal and reptiles.... so right in the middle of writing this song, we were eating downstairs and there's this dog barking hysterically and we heard... 'shut up, shut up' so I'm thinking...'What's going on, Michael?' And he said, 'That's the bird having an argument with the dog,' recalls Richie. "Now it gets worse. I'm lying on the floor working on the lyrics to 'We Are The World' and I hear 'hssss'....'hssss' and I'm looking at Michael and all of a sudden I'm looking out the corner of my eye and the albums against the wall are falling down....and there's an albino python. And he goes, 'There he is Lionel, we found him, we found him. We knew he was in the room somewhere, Lionel. He wants to come out and play with you'...I was screaming like the last woman in a horror movie. I was screaming so loud."
:laughing: Thanks for Sharing, Paris78!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQTnPPt15cQ

Last edited:

This wasn't on the Talk, but Lionel always tells how Michael purposely mispronounced his name: Lion-Elle. I always just thought it was affectionate.

The other day on American Idol (he's a new judge) they were discussing how they hate when people mispronounce names and he added "like Lionelle". And made a face. Ha. I guess he didn't like it.

i dont like him. in my opinion he is adorning himself with borrowed plumes. i am sure most of the lyrics and music comes from mj. but he would never go out and tell it because mj is a gentleman.

This has got to be one of my new favourite stories lol! 'The bird having an argument with the dog' - haha, what a lovely tale!
Thanks for posting! (y)

As much as I would like to impress michael... if I saw that snake, or any of his others - the little b**** in me would come.out for sure.

Lol, I'm not good with snakes!

I hate snakes. I cannot even stand watching them for just a second in photos or videos.

The fact that MJ used to have snakes in his house crawling around is over my head.

When his boa constrictor ‘Muscles’ died, he even organized a very luxurious funeral ceremony for it with guests!

As for the lyrics of ‘We Are The World’, MJ wrote the largest part of them, according at least to John Randy Taraborrelli.

MJ & Lionel Richie worked every night for a whole week on that song (melody & lyrics) at Hayvenhurst house. It was then when that wild tale (with the animals) took place.

La Toya Jackson, who used to roam in that house at that time, saw several times both of them work on that song. She later said that Richie only wrote a couple of lyrics while her brother wrote the rest of them.

I mean... I think it's pretty clear within the fan community the input that was michaels.. richie's participation (melodically and lyrically) has always been over stated..

From what Michael has explained, what others have described, and listening to Michael's demo...

Michael was the driving force in that situation.

Yup, Michael composed the majority of the song. There's a video where Michael says he doesn't want to tell who did what parts of the song, and thay frankly speaks volums about Michael, he didn't want for people to think Lionel did (way?) less than him, I assume.

Snakes are disgusting horrible creatures. I can't believe Michael liked them so much. YUCK!

Snakes are disgusting horrible creatures. I can't believe Michael liked them so much. YUCK!
I know. He was an animal lover. he liked spiders as well which I hate worst than snakes.

And thank you Paris78 for connecting my link to others for people who could not see my original link which blocked some people to see.

i dont like him. in my opinion he is adorning himself with borrowed plumes. i am sure most of the lyrics and music comes from mj. but he would never go out and tell it because mj is a gentleman.

Ah, come on!! Don't do Lionel like that. His prowess as a song-writer is well and truly established, without question. The Jackson 5 were a support act for The Commodores, too, back in the day - Lionel was there, in that space, in his own right, before he ever collaborated with Michael on "We Are the World". Of course we all have a fair idea of how much of the song was written by Michael, but I don't think we need to cut anyone else down, whilst lifting Michael up. This was meant to be a positive and funny story and personally speaking, I love it when people share their memories of visiting MJ and/or working with him.

I think MJ's demo for WATW is much better than the USA For Africa version.

I think MJ's demo for WATW is much better than the USA For Africa version.

IKR? I nearly lost my mind the first time I heard it. Especially when Michael sings in a lower register, at the beginning, plus his vibrato is just superb.

Ah, come on!! Don't do Lionel like that. His prowess as a song-writer is well and truly established, without question. The Jackson 5 were a support act for The Commodores, too, back in the day - Lionel was there, in that space, in his own right, before he ever collaborated with Michael on "We Are the World". Of course we all have a fair idea of how much of the song was written by Michael, but I don't think we need to cut anyone else down, whilst lifting Michael up. This was meant to be a positive and funny story and personally speaking, I love it when people share their memories of visiting MJ and/or working with him.
Thank you! No need to diss Lionel at all-he's supremely talented in his own right. And personable and likable as well. Love his stories going down memory lane.
Although I think it was the Commodores that opened for the J5 on their tour. I remember that bc you'd think it would be the other way around.

Is the demo the one they sent to the artists to learn the song?

Although I'm happy that the demo had more of Michael, he is stronger in his higher range. I feel the same about 'will you be there'. The arranging of so many different voices on one song was genius, and has become the standard for charity records since.

No, the Commadores were the opening act for the Jackson.

Lionel is an artist in his own right.. anytime you pin someone against Michael they're going to fall short. That's not fair to anyone...

They respected and had love for each other

Jimmy Kimmel Live (April 19, 2019)

Lionel doesn't speak about Mike per se. It's more about Prince turning down singing on We Are The World. Lionel does mention Mike in his Prince story.

Wasn’t there a funny animal story Eddie Murphy told about the filming of RTT? I can’t remember it exactly, only that Eddie ran away😂

Lol I love that story Lionel shared. I'm not a fan of snakes either so I would have reacted the same way Lionel did.

I mean... I think it's pretty clear within the fan community the input that was michaels.. richie's participation (melodically and lyrically) has always been over stated..

From what Michael has explained, what others have described, and listening to Michael's demo...

Michael was the driving force in that situation.

Even Lionel and Quincy have stated that Michael wrote most of the song.

Back