Level completed: 37%, Points required for next Level: 95
    Overall activity: 81.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered

Level
    Thanks

Default Re: Elders React to Top 10 Music Artists of All Time

Quote Originally Posted by DuranDuran View Post
    If a publication is US based, why would they be talking about worldwide sales? That wouldn't be relevant to a US audience. Does the UK, Brazil, or Korea write a lot about Garth Brooks' sales? Theoretically, a Chinese or Indian artist can have the biggest selling album in history in China or India alone without it selling anywhere else in the world. The US press would not likely write about such an album, and probably not many other countries would either. It's been said that Nana Mouskouri is one of the highest selling singers, but she is little known if at all in the states.
    I understand what you're saying but the problem is this...

Many times the RIAA release sales figures or achievements and the media act like it's worldwide, so I too object to those lists unless the list makes it very clear that they're talking about the USA only.

A recent example was when the RIAA announced that The Eagles Greatest Hits album had surpassed Thriller as the biggest selling album of all time. The WWW was filled with headlines saying Thriller was no longer the biggest selling album ever, and hardly any mentioned that the figure was for the USA only. Thriller IS STILL the worldwide biggest selling album ever by many, many millions of copies. It's not even close. The media can be very misleading.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to MJTruth For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 51.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsTagger First ClassVeteranOverdrive50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,324 Times in 833 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MJTruth View Post
    I understand what you're saying but the problem is this...

Many times the RIAA release sales figures or achievements and the media act like it's worldwide, so I too object to those lists unless the list makes it very clear that they're talking about the USA only.

A recent example was when the RIAA announced that The Eagles Greatest Hits album had surpassed Thriller as the biggest selling album of all time. The WWW was filled with headlines saying Thriller was no longer the biggest selling album ever, and hardly any mentioned that the figure was for the USA only. Thriller IS STILL the worldwide biggest selling album ever by many, many millions of copies. It's not even close. The media can be very misleading.
    Well, many people think Beyoncé is more successful than Mike and that's not really because of the media specifically saying she is. Beyoncé just gets a lot of media coverage in general in the USA (so does the Kardashians/Kanye West). Then there's the Beyhive. So she never really leaves mainstream consciousness. The US media also talk about Drake, Lil Wayne, Cardi B, & Nicki Minaj breaking records by The Beatles, Elvis Presley, James Brown, & Aretha Franklin. So it's not just talking about somebody beating Mike, just older acts in general.

Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 8
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    100 Experience Points3 months registered

Level
    Thanks

Beyoncé is highly overrated - mostly just hyped. I get so annoyed when people try to compare her to Michael. I literally can only think of a few songs of hers that I even like. There's just no comparing her to Michael's immense talent/musical ability.