Smooth Criminal Extended Lyrics

analogue

Proud Member
Every time I tried to find him
He's leaving no clues
Left behind him

These extended lyrics where in the Smooth Criminal video, but have never been included (As far as I know) on any album version. My guess is because they had to cut those lyrics to fill more time on a cassette tape. But ever since CD was released, I'm surprised that these extended lyrics weren't added back in cause you can fill more space on a CD.

I've always been curious at to why this wasn't included on the album version too. I really like it and I always feels it fits the pace well
I'd say your guess is probably right. Wonder if Quincy had anything to do with it, I know he didn't like Smooth Criminal
I thought we'd hear the extended verse on the Bad 25 set

I think Mike liked it, he song this verse when he sung it like in New York 88

I'm glad that Michael put his foot down, and insisted that Smooth Criminal be on BAD. Mike respected Quincy, and valued his imput, but despite what some people (including Quincy) seem to think. MJ was the one who was in charge.

Can you imagine a world without Smooth Criminal?

No awesome short film
No cool white suit
No lean
No kick ass dance routine.

I'm so glad Mike put his foot down too. I don't want to imagine a world without this perfect song and the incredible legacy it has

As far as the original release of the ‘BAD’ album is concerned, they had to cut certain parts (such as, those extended lyrics from ‘Smooth Criminal’), along with the sped-up by 6% of the songs, in order to keep the time duration at around 25 minutes on each vinyl side.

The reason is that, according to sound/cutting engineers (including Bruce Swedien), 25 minutes around per vinyl side is considered a time limit for great sound quality. After that limit, the more the duration on each vinyl side gets, the worse the sound quality becomes.

I too believe that those extended lyrics of ‘Smooth Criminal’ should have remained on the album because they fit the pace well.

Finally, MJ stated in the ‘Private Home Movies' that “…‘Smooth Criminal' almost did not make it on the album…”. That particular statement surprised me a lot because for the majority of his fans ‘Smooth Criminal’ has been the greatest track from that album.

mj_frenzy;4219364 said:
As far as the original release of the ‘BAD’ album is concerned, they had to cut certain parts (such as, those extended lyrics from ‘Smooth Criminal’), along with the sped-up by 6% of the songs, in order to keep the time duration at around 25 minutes on each vinyl side.

As memory serves me Brad Sundberg said The Way You Make Me Feel was sped up to give the track more energy.

I hope the extended version will be officially released one day.
I fits well, and since it's in the video it makes sense.

I hope the extended version will be officially released one day.
I fits well, and since it's in the video it makes sense.

I agree. But we all know the estate is never gonna do it. So let's not daydream about it. ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can't believe the extended version has never been officially released. It should have been on Bad 25 instead of those crappy Afrojack remixes. The extended version makes the song less repetitive and I hope it to be released someday.

Well for 1 I remember that the video was shot before the album was released but I'd go with the vinyl explanation

Why did Quincy not like Smooth Criminal?
A lot of artists have disliked songs they have recorded or worked on. Some became hits that they have to perform. :rofl: That isn't unique to Quincy. John Lennon has said that he didn't like Paul's "granny songs" that The Beatles recorded.

It's odd that he sang that one verse in New York 3/3/88. Makes you wonder if he sang that verse more times, perhaps in Kansas City or Rehearsals.

Back