Millennium Concert 1999-2000?

Dunk96

The Queen HBIC
So I just saw a back issue of MJNI's King magazine on eBay from July 1999 and there was a letter for the fan club talking about a Millennium concert in Hawaii to ring in the year 2000. Why is this the first time I'm ever hearing about this? Can anyone shed more light on this and why it never happened? Thanks.

Michael was planning to do two New Years Even shows ringing in Year 2000..

The idea was to do a show at the Sydney Football stadium, jump on a plane - fly to Honolulu (across the international date line) to do two concerts ringing in the new year... The Sidney concert tickets were thought to go on sale Sept 15, 1999 and the other show October 1, 1999.

in 2002 there was a lawsuit about the whole thing..

Honestly I mean, he was dealing with a lot.. A dad going through a divorce, and honestly that would have been very tasking on his body..

Michael was planning to do two New Years Even shows ringing in Year 2000..

The idea was to do a show at the Sydney Football stadium, jump on a plane - fly to Honolulu (across the international date line) to do two concerts ringing in the new year... The Sidney concert tickets were thought to go on sale Sept 15, 1999 and the other show October 1, 1999.

in 2002 there was a lawsuit about the whole thing..

Honestly I mean, he was dealing with a lot.. A dad going through a divorce, and honestly that would have been very tasking on his body..

Wow that's intense to do two different shows on two different continents. I can see now why he didn't go through with it. I thought it was just the Hawaii show but now that Sydney,AU was thrown in as well I can definitely get an idea of why that didn't happen. I agree with you about being taxing on his body for sure.

Marcel avram the promoter sued him over it. A man mj had supported while he was in prison. From what i remember it would have been impossible to carry out anyway.it was kinda exiting at the time

Dunk96;4219178 said:
So I just saw a back issue of MJNI's King magazine on eBay from July 1999 and there was a letter for the fan club talking about a Millennium concert in Hawaii to ring in the year 2000. Why is this the first time I'm ever hearing about this? Can anyone shed more light on this and why it never happened? Thanks.

Those two Millennium concerts (in Sydney & Honolulu) were linked to the two MJ & Friends Concerts that took place before.

The huge costs of the two MJ & Friends Concerts eventually diminished any profits that were meant (as that agreement specified) to go straight to charity organizations.

So, Marcel Avram’s company (Mama Concerts & Rau) gave that money to those charity organizations in the hopes of regaining it by profits from those two planned Millennium concerts. This is how the idea of the two Millennium concerts was born.

That information was initially revealed by Süddeutsche Zeitung, which is a respectable, non-tabloid German newspaper.

As for the reason why the two Millennium concerts eventually were cancelled, I sense that MJ simply wanted to focus on his then upcoming, new studio album (‘Invincible’), which was originally supposed to get a release in the first months of 2000.

Back