What Are the Official CD/DVD Releases for 2018?

Re: What are the official cd dvd releases for 2018?

There might not be any release but I hope I'm wrong. Thriller and Ghosts on Blu-Ray would be great.

I think we will not get any DVD/Blu-Ray releases this year. Of course I hope I am wrong and we get a concert Blu-Ray release.

It's 2018, stop talking about DVD dude. We are in the Blu-ray/4K Blu-ray era.

Ghosts/Thriller Release is likely to happen. Concert release would be nice (sadly probably won't happen) this year though...

Dangerous tour bucharedt and bad tour Yokohama

Thriller 3D is practically guaranteed. I'd love to see it packaged with the making of documentary on Blu-Ray.

It's 2018, stop talking about DVD dude. We are in the Blu-ray/4K Blu-ray era.

I'm screwed then, I don't have a damn thing to play Blu-Ray on.

We will all know about any official 2018 projects, when the Estate makes an announcement about them, I suppose.
If that happens, I'll start a thread about Estate news, where we can keep all of the ensuing discussion in one place.

:cool:

Those who don't think DVD's are relevant against Blu-ray...

They are both becoming irrelevant in comparison to digital.. stores are slowly dropping counts of hard disc copies of movies and digital is on a rise.. The sales between Blu-Ray and DVD are still comparable, especially when you consider a big bonus with most Blu-rays is that it often comes with a digital copy as well (and often DVD).. So yes, Blu-ray gets a good buy over DVD's..

In a standard home, there are more dvd players than blu ray capable players.. blu ray has a sweet spot when it comes to demographic but it gets lost outside of that. discs are simply becoming irrelevant. That goes the same for CD's..

walk into a target, Walmart, or any other store that sells general electronic and see how those sections are shrinking year over year.

I don't think we will get anything this year.

If we do I think it will be Thriller and Ghosts. - I just hope they also release the making ofs.

Hoping for a Bad Tour Yokohama DVD...maybe one day it will happen! The footage is out there, in HD!!

They are both becoming irrelevant in comparison to digital.. stores are slowly dropping counts of hard disc copies of movies and digital is on a rise.. The sales between Blu-Ray and DVD are still comparable, especially when you consider a big bonus with most Blu-rays is that it often comes with a digital copy as well (and often DVD).. So yes, Blu-ray gets a good buy over DVD's..

In a standard home, there are more dvd players than blu ray capable players.. blu ray has a sweet spot when it comes to demographic but it gets lost outside of that. discs are simply becoming irrelevant. That goes the same for CD's..

walk into a target, Walmart, or any other store that sells general electronic and see how those sections are shrinking year over year.

Maybe but physical releases have better picture quality than streaming. I don't think companies will stop selling physical discs.

And the DVD sections in these stores remain as big, if not bigger, than the blu-ray sections. Stores might be trying to get rid of old stock but I'd wager DVD still sells strongly in comparison to Blu-ray.

AlwaysThere - what makes you think a home Thriller release is 'guaranteed' or near so?

I'm screwed then, I don't have a damn thing to play Blu-Ray on.

Most movies/concert are still being released on both Blu-Ray and DVD. Many people don't have a Blu-Ray player.

Sad to see the sales of physical copies shrink. I still like to buy physical copies of movies/concerts.

Hoping for a Bad Tour Yokohama DVD...maybe one day it will happen! The footage is out there, in HD!!

I have Bad Tour Yokohama on DVD, I bought it in a store in The Netherlands. The DVD is called One Night in Japan. Cover: https://www.music-bazaar.com/album-.../2513397-big/One-Night-In-Japan-CD2-cover.jpg

AlwaysThere - what makes you think a home Thriller release is 'guaranteed' or near so?

Last October, Branca said they were aiming to get Thriller 3D in theaters this Halloween. I can't imagine they'd go through the trouble of remastering the footage and converting it into 3D and not put it on iTunes/Amazon at the very least.

I have Bad Tour Yokohama on DVD, I bought it in a store in The Netherlands. The DVD is called One Night in Japan. Cover: https://www.music-bazaar.com/album-.../2513397-big/One-Night-In-Japan-CD2-cover.jpg
That is not official. You could have downloaded it for free. It has menus and you can burn it to DVD.

Last October, Branca said they were aiming to get Thriller 3D in theaters this Halloween. I can't imagine they'd go through the trouble of remastering the footage and converting it into 3D and not put it on iTunes/Amazon at the very least.
The home release might not happen this year. They might be waiting Spike Lee to make Thriller documentary and then releasing them together.

Last edited:
That is not official. You could have downloaded it for free. It has menus and you can burn it to DVD.

The home release might not happen this year. They might be waiting Spike Lee to make Thriller documentary and then releasing them together.
That's what i hope...spike does his thing & bam... thriller 3d

It's a leap to go from them intending to try to find a way to release it in cinemas for a second ye ar running, to 'practically guaranteed' home release though. Particularly when I thought Alicia had said no home release was planned. Or Branca did. I forget.

The Estate would be absolutely foolish to not release Ghosts/Thriller remastered at least digitally after its run in theaters. What if people don't have access to movie theaters or people can't get into the showings or their city/state/province/country isn't playing them?

It's a leap to go from them intending to try to find a way to release it in cinemas for a second ye ar running, to 'practically guaranteed' home release though. Particularly when I thought Alicia had said no home release was planned. Or Branca did. I forget.

It's also nonsensical to believe that the Estate would go through the expensive process of remastering the original '83 footage to 4K resolution, cleaning up the audio, and converting it into 3D, if they only intended to give it a limited-time run in cinemas and then completely cast it aside. If Thriller 3D and/or Ghosts come out in theaters this year, it's reasonable to assume they'll be given a home release.

If there is in fact a theatrical/home video release of Thriller 3D and/or Ghosts coming out this year, I'll support it.

I think the Ghosts film deserves all the attention & recognition it can get and Thriller 3D looks amazing based on the snippets we have of it. Like this one.

Plus, I want them to do something special for Michael's 60th birthday. Personally, I thought both the Off the Wall re-release & Scream album were decent. Not good or bad, but decent. And the Halloween cartoon was... meh. But we haven't had a good posthumous release since Xscape.

It's also nonsensical to believe that the Estate would go through the expensive process of remastering the original '83 footage to 4K resolution, cleaning up the audio, and converting it into 3D, if they only intended to give it a limited-time run in cinemas and then completely cast it aside. If Thriller 3D and/or Ghosts come out in theaters this year, it's reasonable to assume they'll be given a home release.

Fans have a tendency to assume things regards these projects and then become angry and disappointed when they don't happen. The Estate said they had no plans to release Thriller to home media. That may change, sure. But it's far from a guaranteed release in 2018 at this point.

Back