The Amsterdam 1996 Thriller jacket, what's the story behind it?

fraroc04

Proud Member
To me, that jacket seems like a total enigma. Initially, I thought that it was Michael breaking out the old Bad Tour 87 thriller jacket with the glowing stripes, but in a few of the shots of the amateur video, you can clearly see its a completely different jacket with different striping.

If I ever get a chance to meet Michael Bush, that would be the one question I would definitely ask him, what was with that one jacket? Was it supposed to be used for a different song? Was it a scrapped concept for further Thriller performances?

Weird part is, I can't even find a high quality picture of that jacket.

At first, I thought it was the '87 thriller jacket. I like it. I wonder why it wasn't continually used..

The white one was better to see from afar.. I also like the Bad era one (color style, lighting on it though -> I`ll have to see that in HD one day...hopefully). The White jacket was just more visable using the then-standard backlighting while doing the dance, I think.

M. Bush wrote about it in his book ?

At first, I thought it was the '87 thriller jacket. I like it. I wonder why it wasn't continually used..

In Michael Bush's book, he shows six different Thriller jackets - Marc Laurent, Bill Whitten Bad Tour, the light-up jacket, Dangerous, HIStory and 2001 Madison Square Garden.

The one shown in this video (in Amsterdam) is a bit like the 1987 Bill Whitten jacket, yes, but it seems to have more irredescent strips on it than that one. It doesn't really look like the jacket for 1996, either....even though the year is 1996.

The white one was better to see from afar.. I also like the Bad era one (color style, lighting on it though -> I`ll have to see that in HD one day...hopefully). The White jacket was just more visable using the then-standard backlighting while doing the dance, I think.

I quite like the white one, as well, but I don't think the one in Amsterdam is the white one.....it's black and red, with lots of reflective strips on it, down the sleeves.

It would have been neat if Mike wore a different coloured Thriller jacket everytime he performed the song.

In Michael Bush's book, he shows six different Thriller jackets - Marc Laurent, Bill Whitten Bad Tour, the light-up jacket, Dangerous, HIStory and 2001 Madison Square Garden.

Was he meant to perform Thriller in 2001?

Was he meant to perform Thriller in 2001?

Yes he was, it was going to be a black jacket similar to the one used in Beat It I think. But this song wasn't performed as the show would've gone on too long with the renuion with the brothers and all the other performances.

Yes he was, it was going to be a black jacket similar to the one used in Beat It I think. But this song wasn't performed as the show would've gone on too long with the renuion with the brothers and all the other performances.

Correct. It was all black, at Michael's request, according to Michael Bush's book. Bush states that due to the length of the show, Thriller was cut from the set list and the black jacket was archived.

Correct. It was all black, at Michael's request, according to Michael Bush's book. Bush states that due to the length of the show, Thriller was cut from the set list and the black jacket was archived.

Is there a photo of this jacket? It would be interesting to see it.

Back