Will Smith talks about the time he met Michael

That's an interesting story.. I always wondered what interaction they had considering will helped Tatiana into mjj records.

It was funny how MJ's security locked Will in a closet, and he didn't realise Michael was standing right behind him in the closet untill Michael said ''Hi''

I enjoyed that story. Will Smith has a fun personality.

I really wanted him to appear as a guest rapper on one of Mike's songs.

Agree on this sounding a bit made up yet I enjoyed the story, either is entirely true or partly :listeningtomusic

Maybe Will exaggerated the story a bit, but at least the story was fun and harmless.

Last edited:
Really had to laugh when he said one of the question he would have wanted to ask was: 'Is Annie OK?' :laughing:

Q0LsSjfS

Will adding a little extra for story sake.. maybe! but it's still not the strangest MJ meeting story we've heard so it's not toooooo hard to believe lol

https://edition.cnn.com/2018/04/19/entertainment/will-smith-michael-jackson-story/index.html

Will Smith's delightful story of meeting Michael Jackson

(CNN)Now, this is a story all about how...Will Smith met Michael Jackson, all thanks to Suge Knight.
The former "Fresh Prince of Bel-Air" star took to his YouTube page to share the story of his first and only meeting with the King of Pop, and it's truly of a one-of-a-kind story.
Smith recalled being at the BET Awards when he was determined to meet Jackson, as he never had.

As the night started coming to a close, Smith realized his chance was slipping away.
Suddenly, there was a "frenzy" and he was placed in a utility closet, he recalled.

Suge Knight, the co-founder of Death Row Records, had apparently caused a disturbance, leading to safety concerns.
It was not long before Smith realized he was not alone in the closet -- he was with Jackson.
"I hear, 'Hey,'...and I turn around and Michael Jackson is behind me in the closet," he said.
Smith recalled his brief conversation with Jackson, during which they talked about Knight's propensity for "trippin" and comic books. ("I don't know anything about no comic books but I'm here with Michael Jackson, I ain't gonna tell him that," Smith said.)
As quickly as it happened, it was over. Jackson's security rushed back into the room, pushed Smith aside ("like he never saw the Fresh Prince,'" Smith joked), and took him away.
Luckily for Smith, someone snapped a picture of the two of them, which he shared at the end of the video.
"I guess I have Suge Knight to thank for it."...

He said it was at the BET awards, but the BET awards was established in 2001. So he's lying about that

He said it was at the BET awards, but the BET awards was established in 2001. So he's lying about that

Maybe he just made a mistake about the name of the award show he mentioned. There's so many award shows, it's an easy thing to do.

Maybe he just made a mistake about the name of the award show he mentioned. There's so many award shows, it's an easy thing to do.

Agree, it's a bit strong to say lying. Mistaken? Yes. Lying? I'm not going to judge.
I'm sure somebody here can nail the year and the award ceremony from the picture posted above.

As others have said, the picture of Will and MJ is not from any BET Awards; it's from Bill Clinton's inauguration in 1993. And Will says Suge Knight was present when he met MJ, but there's no way someone like Knight could have been at Clinton's inauguration, lol. Knight wasn't even well known in 1993.

I have trouble believing Will only met MJ once. In an interview around the time of Men In Black 2 in 2002, Will talks about MJ as if he got to know him personally:
quote-listen-michael-jackson-is-really-funny-to-have-time-to-spend-with-him-and-actually-be-will-smith-114-8-0839.jpg

I don't think it makes sense for Will to speak of MJ in such a way if they only had one hectic meeting like the one Will describes in the video. I think that in the video, Will is actually speaking about another time he met MJ; he most likely forgot about the Clinton inauguration, saw the Clinton inauguration pic and erroneously assumed it was this other meeting he's talking about. He says the meeting was at the BET Awards; MJ only attended the 2003 BET Awards, so it's possible it could have been there. However, the ruckus Will Smith says Knight caused sounds exactly like the ruckus Knight caused at the 2002 BET Awards. MJ didn't attend the BET Awards that year, and it's never been reported that Knight caused any trouble there; I'm sure Knight causing trouble at the BET Awards literally a year after he did it the first time and MJ showing up would have made headlines.

Another problem is that Will says the meeting was at a time when he was best known for The Fresh Prince Of Bel Air; however, by the time the BET Awards were established in 2001, Will was known for a lot more than that. Maybe Will could be describing the conversation he had with Michael at Clinton's inauguration in 1993. But there's no way Suge Knight would have been there, much less cause a ruckus there. And why would MJ and Will find themselves in a closet at the Clinton's inauguration? It's possible the meeting could have been at an award show in the 90s, but if it was at a time where Smith was best known for Fresh Prince, it'd have to be before 1995, as that was when Will had his acting breakthrough in Bad Boys. And there are no reports of Knight disrupting award shows at that point; Knight didn't even become well known until 1995.

I think this "story" is just a combination of Will having terrible memory and making things up.

Last edited:
It could have been the Soul Train awards. either way, it is a funny story. Some fans have to remember, what Michael did 24/7 is not going to be all posted or talked about.

Well, he's trying to promote a youtube channel. A boring 'I met Michael Jackson in 1993 and we shook hands and moved on' isn't video worthy. A dramatised story of MJ and Will in a closet with sheer chaos outside is headline worthy thus more views for his channel.

Is he lying? Yes. But no one cares enough to fact check him. The only headline we will see from this is 'MJ and Will's closet story'.

I know he respects and likes some scientology philosophy but hes not actually a scientist to my knowlege..

Right?

What year was that? MJ looks 1993.

Has to be around that time...you can find pictures with that bodyguard for instance from 1994 and like this one from 1995.

med_gallery_261_619646.jpg

The photo with Will Smith is from Bill Clinton's pre-inaugural gala (January 18, 1993 / Washington D.C., USA). See MJ's outfit here -> CLICK

Yannick Allain was MJ's bodyguard from 1992 onwards.

791878.jpeg

Last edited:
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="de"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Will Smith recently shared an endearing story of the time he met Michael Jackson. Check it out: <a href="https://t.co/Vc1A4jTeMa">https://t.co/Vc1A4jTeMa</a></p>&mdash; Michael Jackson (@michaeljackson) <a href="https://twitter.com/michaeljackson/status/991422781245022215?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">1. Mai 2018</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Back