The Wiz blu-ray

ChrisC

Guests
Has anyone bought this?

I noticed a US release from Universal Pictures came out in 2010 and a UK release followed in 2015 from Mediumrare.

It looks from Amazon like the UK version is cut, clocking in at 127 minutes. Whereas the US version comes in at 135. Is the UK version cut?

^^

I think is due to the format PAL or NTSC

one format has 24 pictures each second - the other has 25 seconds. - Over such a long movie that becomes a few minutes in difference. I think I was told this once, but really I have no idea. :)

^^

one format has 24 pictures each second - the other has 25 seconds. - Over such a long movie that becomes a few minutes in difference. I think I was told this once, but really I have no idea. :)

Oh is that all it is? 8 minutes difference is that possible?

Sheesh, I cancelled my UK edition and ordered from US as well. I think I might just go back to the UK one cause the boxes the US blu-rays come in is always so cheap looking.

Has anyone got the UK one to confirm the transfer is as good as US or anything?

Oh is that all it is? 8 minutes difference is that possible?

Sheesh, I cancelled my UK edition and ordered from US as well. I think I might just go back to the UK one cause the boxes the US blu-rays come in is always so cheap looking.

Has anyone got the UK one to confirm the transfer is as good as US or anything?

I must say 8 minutes sound like much. - I think it was back when This Is It was released - there where a few minutes difference in the runtime on PAL and NTSC.
We have sove tech genius on this board - so maybe they can clarify if this is a possible explanation or the movie has been edited??

^^

Blu-Rays don't have that like DVDs. European Blu-Ray releases are 24 fps too.

Last edited:
Okay, I'll do some original research and buy both! I'll update this thread in due course.

If anyone has seen both please let me know!

I checked the blu-ray.com site which is usually pretty reliable. But unfortunately nobody has reviewed the UK version.

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Wiz-Blu-ray/15402/

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Wiz-Blu-ray/135259/

Both Amazon and HMV agree on the UK version runtime being 8 minutes shorter. Could it just be wrong on the outer packaging? I've ordered both so I'll check them and update this thread in case anyone else has the same query.

You could also ask about it on that site's forum before buying. You might get two Blu-rays with no difference.

You could also ask about it on that site's forum before buying. You might get two Blu-rays with no difference.

There's a very small thread about the UK version so I've a feeling not many people have bought it. I'm a stickler for picture quality too and in the past I've double-dipped on a purchase if the US version has a better transfer or UK does. And because the production companies are different I'm thinking transfer or extras might be different. Probably best I just get both and test for myself.

Can always give the extra one away to someone on here if they both turn out to be identical.

It might be just a mistake on the site. The movie could still be 135 minutes.

You may have been bang on with this. I picked up the UK edition today. The box indicates the movie is 129 minutes, but it actually clocks in at 134.

It's most likely that the box and Amazon are both independently inaccurate. I'll compare it with the US one anyway.

Looking forward to watching this in Surround sound for the first time.

Back