Xscape - 4 years later

Slave To The Rhythm

Proud Member
I only want to hear the opinion of people who liked Xscape when it came out or like it now. Everyone who hates Xscape or dislikes posthumous projects have already stated their opinions many times.

I want to know how your opinion of Xscape has changed over the last 4 years. Which songs did you love the most when it came out and what songs are you still listening to? Is their a production you once thought was genius and that you don‘t like as much anymore? Or vice versa?

In 2014 it was the album I listened to the most. Now I come back to the album whenever I want to hear modern Mike if you know what I mean.

My opinion:

1. LNFSG
Still love the production of the song and enjoy the song.

2. Chicago
Best song of the album with the best production. Still sounds very contemporary and it‘s the song I listen to the most.

3. Loving You
I still think Timbaland did a fantastic job on this one but it‘s not one of my favorites in general.

4. APWNN
Was my favorite song at the time it was released as a single. Still like the production but don‘t really listen to it that often anymore.

5. STTR
Always thought this one could have been better produced even though I love the intro. But still like it

6. DYKWYCA
I think it‘s a great song with a weak production. Thought so back then and still think so. I prefer the cancelled 2010 version.

7. Blue Gangsta
Think the Timbaland version is far better than the original but never liked the song.

8. Xscape
Love both versions and I think it’s one of the best two songs of the album with Chicago.

Last edited:
It is a good album but I don't listen the songs very often. And when I listen them I usually listen the original demo versions. I'm not a big fan of the production. 2010 Michael album sounds better.

I listen to it a lot, love DYKWYCA, STTR and Lovin You, I thought they done a great job with promotion and I thought the team actually cared about the project. PWNN original has become one of my fav songs and it was great to have Xscape etc on CD, im for more releases like it if they offer the fans the originals too

1) LNFSG: Never was a big fan of the song tbh.

2) Chicago: Prefer the original version but my favorite has to the rock version that has leaked online. I wish that was on the album.

3) Loving You: A sweet song. The reworked version sounds very similar to the original version and Timbaland deserves a lot of credit for that.

4) APWNM: Love the reworked version. I think it's of MJ's best songs in terms of vocal delivery. Find the original boring.

5) STTR: My favorite from the album and the only Xscape song, I listen to regularly. Both versions are great.

6) DYWWYCA: The reworked version is a perfect example of how to ruin a great song. Terrible production that took away from the amazing message of the song.

7) Blue Gangsta: Hate the production on the reworked version. Original is a lot better.

8) Xscape: Love both versions. Xscape is such a brilliant song that truly reflects MJ's mindset in a world where he felt trapped.

Overall, Xscape is a very good album. It's the best possible posthumous album. But I do prefer the sound of the Michael album, excluding the fake songs.

Overall, I like the album. I don't listen to it as much as I did when I got it, but I still like it. Favorites include LNFSG (both original demo and remix; not the one with Timberlake, though), "Blue Gangsta" (original and remix), and "Loving You" (remix).

The album sold impressively, with a number one in the UK. One of my favourites. I can't compare it to his studio albums, it was still very good. Love Never Felt So Good was a hit and wouldn't sound dated in any era.

I still enjoy the album.. its strange because sometimes I forget the album exists (in a way I guess) then I get re excited to listen to it again.

There are songs that are over produced but Michael is magic in EVERY track. They picked great songs for the album

I liked it a lot. At first I was only really into the original versions but recently I have learned to appreciate the remixed versions, especially for Chicago, Loving You, Slave to the Rhythm, and A Place With No Name.

Personally felt like it could have been promoted better but hey, it was great the way it was. 8 beautiful songs.

I think it's a near a perfect posthoumos album we can get.

If you don't like the new version the old one is great. - I prefer MJ's original version og DYKWYCA and Blue Gangsta. - And APWNN I listen to both versions and like them both.

LNFSG came in 3 different versions and actually I like them all. - Still does not sound dated.

Chicago - what a treat. Great mysterious song. The rock version that leaked was great too.

Loving You - Timbalands best rework - think it's because it's the one closest to MJ's version. - When it was released it was one of my favorites. Love both versions.

APWNN - great song, strong vocal delivery - like both versions.

STTR - again great song. - Timbalands production could have been better IMO. Prefer the demo.

DYKWYCA - absolute disaster... Don't know what on earth Timbaland was thinking??? And why SONY and The Estate allowed him to take the song soundwise so far away from MJ's idea and thoughts are beyond me... The demo version is great - and there was a leaked version I also like. I NEVER hear the new version...

Blue Gangsta - The original demo is great. - and the new version is not terrible... But I prefer the original.

Xscape - perfect example of why you should bring in the person who actually worked on the song with MJ. New version - but same ideas, same direction and great production. - I do miss the break-down (bridge?) between the verses - but then I can her the orignal version which is superb too.

So overall I think the album deserves a lot more credit than I gets. Now MJ's not here anymore to have a final say, this is the best we can hope for.
New versions and the original versions af MJ left them.

1) LNFSG: The JT version is great - great choice for a single and a great example of how to update the song. The only issue I have is that the MJ demo vocals recorded on cassette sound kinda weak when directly compared to JT's 2014 studio vocals. It's a shame.

2) Chicago: Quite good but never listen to it. I hate MJ's first few lines.

3) Loving You: Another great example of how to update the sound of a song. It's very much of its time but I wish MJ had recorded more uplifting tracks (that weren't pure cheese) in his last couple of decades.

4) APWNM: I initially like the updated version but after a few listens the MJ vocal samples at the beginning and the overall production drove me nuts. I see what stargate were aiming for - a modern song that sounded like MJ, but it's just a bit too contrived for my liking. The demo far outshines the released version. IMO the accoustic guitar sound was a refreshing change to the more mechanical sound of many songs on his albums. I think they should have released an updated one that was primarily driven by accoustic guitar. That would have been great.

5) STTR: I like the version on Xscape but the cancelled Bieber version was better, as was the Tricky Stewart version.

6) DYWWYCA: I hate the title, I hate the chorus.

7) Blue Gangsta: I loved the version that leaked in the early 2000s. The new version is great too.

8) Xscape: Again I loved the version from early 2000s. The updated productions is great on the new version is great too.

Overall I still think Xscape was a good project handled very well by the MJ Estate and that showed in modest chart performance around the world. LNFSG was a great lead single but I wish they had released a stronger 2nd single than APWNN as that bombed everywhere. STTR could have been that single, but I won't get into that in this thread (altready covered elsewhere).

I wasn't sure they did the best with some of the material. It's like they exorcised Michael entirely (with the exception of his vocals) and did their own thing. So it doesn't feel 'Michael' enough for me. It was an album for the moment, not additions to his catalogue - I will stick to earlier versions or Michael's demos in that regard.

However LNFSG and Loving You are worthy efforts and I go back to those two fairly often.

I wasn't sure they did the best with some of the material. It's like they exorcised Michael entirely (with the exception of his vocals) and did their own thing. So it doesn't feel 'Michael' enough for me. It was an album for the moment, not additions to his catalogue - I will stick to earlier versions or Michael's demos in that regard.

However LNFSG and Loving You are worthy efforts and I go back to those two fairly often.

My sentiments exactly.

For APWNN I think they deliberately tried to sound like MJ (IMO) - something a bit similar to Leave Me Alone - but that approach didn't really work for me. But I can see what you mean about some of the other tracks not sounding anything like MJ may have released given the opportunity.

For APWNN I think they deliberately tried to sound like MJ (IMO) - something a bit similar to Leave Me Alone - but that approach didn't really work for me. But I can see what you mean about some of the other tracks not sounding anything like MJ may have released given the opportunity.

In my honest humble opinion, the Xscape version of APWNN is the worst track in MJ's entire catalogue. The original is far superior. I love the acoustic vibe of the original

I think the only updated song that was an improvement over the original was the title track. I think it helped that Rodney Jerkins worked on both the origial and the updated version.

ChrisC nailed it!! I appreciate the project in that we got new material but I feel disappointed that they didn't try to make it sound like a Michael product

Just the new versions
LNFSG - I like the mix because it sounds like something Michael would release, it's great it stays true to the demo
Chicago - Honestly didn't like it, it just has no direction and sounds like a Timbo track with Mike vocals, like a lot of this album. DUCKS??
LY - This is one of the stand outs on the album for me, fair play brilliant job Tim, stays true to the demo and breathes new life into the track
APWNN - This was one of my least favourites, it's just a mess. Sounds like an impersonation of MJ, think I dislike it so much because I adore the demo
STTR - Too busy!! Another track that sounds like a Timbaland track with 0% respect to Michael and his musical legacy. Real instruments please
DYKWYCA - Sounds like 90's Nintendo loading music, not like a song tackling a tough situation. Closing adlibs are well produced I admit
BG - This is good, it brings the drama and tention that the track calls for out the pocket. The bridge is divine, I do wish the "make me wanna sing" was louder
X - Didn't think I'd say this, I almost prefer this over the demo, Darkchild knocked it out of the park on this, love the vibe he created on this. Feels like fresh MJ

I am grateful for the project and the fact they released the demos. I just wish they would have reimagined the songs with people who worked with Michael or have those people as consultants instead of just disregarding their invaluable abilities. If Michael trusted them so should the Estate.

By the way thank you for this thread, I can't believe it's been 4 years!!

In my honest humble opinion, the Xscape version of APWNN is the worst track in MJ's entire catalogue. The original is far superior. I love the acoustic vibe of the original

Yeah, for me, they ruined it. Something about it sounds so off too, like the timing or something.

It's a great collection,but for some reason,it's not an album I'm drawn to keep playing.
Something about it,that I just can't put my finger on,as to why ...

I thought the team actually cared about the project. PWNN original has become one of my fav songs and it was great to have Xscape etc on CD, I'm for more releases like it if they offer the fans the originals too

I agree. I think the team genuinely cared about the project. That comes through, loud and clear, on the "Making Of" documentary that accompanied the Deluxe version of Xscape. I would also love to see more releases like that, with the originals plus the re-imagined versions.

Overall, Xscape is a very good album. It's the best possible posthumous album. But I do prefer the sound of the Michael album, excluding the fake songs.

Agreed.

When Xscape first came out, I was so excited for the project and I absolutely loved it. I was not disappointed at all. I played it often and I was literally obsessed with it, for at least the first six-eight months. Obviously, that has toned down now and I don't play it as often, but I still do play it and I still do love it, four years later. I think Xscape and BAD25 have been the two best, most memorable and potentially long-lasting of the posthumous projects, to date (BAD25 for the unreleased demos and the Wembley concert, obviously and Xscape for the number of "new" songs). My thoughts regarding the actual songs have pretty much remained the same as they were four years ago.

My favourite song on Xscape was and still is Chicago. I love the original the most, but the new version is excellent, as well, minus the duck quacks (hate that).

I adore all three versions of LNFSG. I think it was an excellent choice for a lead single and I think Justin Timberlake was a good choice for the feature artist. The video was a lot of fun and was very respectful towards Michael.....just as it should be.

I like what was done with Loving You - the contemporised version was produced very well, from what sounds like a very old demo tape - but the song itself never really grabbed me. I think it sounds too cheesy, too immature for me, but the vocals are beautiful and definitely vintage young MJ. I like that we can hear the smile in his voice, if that makes sense.

I'm not keen on either version of APWNN and I agree with others who have said that it wasn't a good choice for a follow-up single. I can't get "A Horse With No Name", by America, out of my head whenever I think about, or listen to this song and for me, the lyrics of it are just strange - I can't link their meaning and context to anything "Michael-related", really.

DYKWYCA is a terrible song. I don't like either version and it never should have been raised up from the demo back-blocks and placed on a Michael Jackson album. Never. I always skip it.

STTR is amazing! I think it absolutely should have been the second single (or maybe Xscape). It would have done well on the radio, in my opinion. The producers gave the new version a red hot crack - and I like it a lot, but I do prefer the original, just slightly.

I'm ambivalent about Blue Gangsta. It's just an alright song, to me. Nothing much about it really sticks in my mind and stays with me. I was really excited by the snippets of it that I had heard around the place, before the release of the album, but, in the end, the best parts, to me, ended up being the snippets I'd already heard. I MUCH prefer the new version, to the original. I like how Michael's voice is more prominent....more "in the front" and his vocal delivery is brilliant, of course.

I love all of the versions of Xscape that I've heard. Dark Child did a stellar job on the re-imagined version and I think mostly, this is my favourite version. This song is great, lyrically and is definitely about an MJ "issue", in terms of its meaning.

I wish that there had been a couple more songs on Xscape, given that there probably won't be anything else, for ages now; but then, I'm always ready for more. Lol.

I agree. I think the team genuinely cared about the project. That comes through, loud and clear, on the "Making Of" documentary that accompanied the Deluxe version of Xscape. I would also love to see more releases like that, with the originals plus the re-imagined versions.

Agreed.

The making of documentary in which they trashed MJ's original work and talked about how they made the songs "listenable" with their remixes? No thanks.

The making of documentary in which they trashed MJ's original work and talked about how they made the songs "listenable" with their remixes? No thanks.

I have not seen the doc since it was released 4 years ago BUT I think they talked about the audio quality - not the quality of the songs?

I have not seen the doc since it was released 4 years ago BUT I think they talked about the audio quality - not the quality of the songs?

That's not how I and others at the time interpreted it, as I recall it wasn't seen as a very respectful documentary at all.

That's not how I and others at the time interpreted it, as I recall it wasn't seen as a very respectful documentary at all.

L.A. Reid seemed a bit "up himself" and annoyed me, throughout the whole thing, but the rest of the speakers were respectful, as I remember. I do also feel that they were talking about the quality of the tapes...the audio....rather than the actual songs themselves. It doesn't make sense for them to trash the songs that they worked on and needed to promote. I think they were mostly trying to hype up excitement for the (future) success of the re-imagined songs, which is natural.

I was very disappointed in Xscape when released and that hasnt changed.
A release I havent played in years but some tracks are good though like Chicago,Loving You and title track.
The gutar version of DYKWYCA leaked in 2010 is great but I hate the "computer game" version on this album and im not so sure Michael would have liked it either as I think he loved guitars as well....especially at the time the song was written and recorded.

Didn‘t want to comment on it but the new production of APWNN is the only reason I listen to the song. I would never listen to the original because I find it too boring. I‘m a guitar player so normally I love acoustic tracks ... So I think Stargate did a fantastic job and it‘s one of the songs on the album that sounds the most like Michael to me.

But that‘s not what the thread is about because I wanted to hear if opinions have changed and not how you always felt about a song. Just wanted to give my opinion because so many here complained about it.

The Estate tries.. They get too much hate in my opinion, because they've tried to correct wrongs and make it clear they listen to us when they don't really need to. I don't think us fans as a whole always do the best job moving on... We're walking MJ encyclopedias and often don't let people F up and be understanding.. Unless its Michael, than we can overlook anything.

just sayin' we should be fair.. No one person is perfect nor is any estate/company.

The Estate tries.. They get too much hate in my opinion, because they've tried to correct wrongs and make it clear they listen to us when they don't really need to. I don't think us fans as a whole always do the best job moving on... We're walking MJ encyclopedias and often don't let people F up and be understanding.. Unless its Michael, than we can overlook anything. just sayin' we should be fair.. No one person is perfect nor is any estate/company.
I think we shouldn't derail the thread with pro Estate sentiments. Just talk about the album maybe?

Slave To The Rhythm;4221354 said:
I only want to hear the opinion of people who liked Xscape when it came out or like it now. Everyone who hates Xscape or dislikes posthumous projects have already stated their opinions many times.

I want to know how your opinion of Xscape has changed over the last 4 years. Which songs did you love the most when it came out and what songs are you still listening to? Is their a production you once thought was genius and that you don‘t like as much anymore? Or vice versa?

I loved Xscape when it was released and STILL listen to it. It was a great project and the estate did a great job making it feel like a new album with their promotion of it. I couldn’t have asked for better promotion. They didn’t half-step. If it hadn’t been for the sabotage of some “fans”, Xscape would have been a #1 album in the US. The estate did their part. I am still pissed that some “fans” did everthing they could to derail a very good project. With fans like these, who needs enemies. This is my opinion and it hasn’t changed in four years.

Back